• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Phantom Episode 10 Leaked 1 Day Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Seriously Funi? Now I would say I don't care, but the fact that it's torrent sites (or any illegal site for that matter) and probably isn't pleasing the Japanese side stays my tongue. Otherwise, I would be all for getting these shows early. Oddly enough, FMA completely loaded in less than a few minutes. That's never happened before...normally it takes half on hour, at least.
darkrunner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
FUNi needs to seriously fix things, but shouldn't we blame the people who distribute the leaked videos? FUNi's helping to pave the way for simulcasts in America, and the community thanks them by stealing the videos. FUNi's to blame a lot for the public server, but that doesn't make it any more right to steal and repost the videos.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Well folks, its all over.

Funi, we've had some great times over the years, but its over.

Fansubbing beat you because you can't protect your own stuff.

Now, I'm sure people will blast me for being pessimistic and all doom and gloom, and I truly hope that time will prove me wrong, but honestly Funi's reputation has now gone from wounded to critical. Which means that new licenses, if they ever come at all, probably won't go to you, since you truly seem incapable of protecting not only your rights, but the rights of the Japanese licensors.

And while the uploaders share an equal amount of the blame, being on the internet makes it only that much harder to find or even prosecute these people, if they can even be prosecuted at all.

So, due to relative anonymity, fansubbers will continue and continue to thumb their noses at the US companies, breaking the law while getting off scott-free. And while this isn't truly an immediate problem, a few years down the line, with the still decreasing DVD sales, the already bleak future seems just that much bleaker.

Now of course, this is all speculation on my part, and I truly, TRULY hope that Funi stages a massive turnaround, and remain a viable company for many many years. I just hope my venting of my frustrations doesn't lead to a massive debate, because this is all my usual pessimistic attitude at work. Here's for a hopefully better future!
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Actually, I think that this is bordering on being irresponsible.

orly?
hikaru004 wrote:
It's of virtually no benefit for people to know unless it results in a series cancellation.

I like how you've arbitrarily determined what is beneficial for us to know and what isn't.
hikaru004 wrote:
I'm sure that FUNi prob knows about this. Did ANN graciously attempt to inform FUNi of the torrent or are they relying on FUNi's forum monitoring-fu skills to let them get the info?

So now it's ANN's job to also help out anime companies in their time of need.

What?
darkrunner wrote:
FUNi needs to seriously fix things, but shouldn't we blame the people who distribute the leaked videos?

They should carry part of the blame, because the JP aren't going to give FUNi a pass on this. Not when they've repeatedly screwed up.

Last edited by braves on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
darkrunner wrote:
FUNi needs to seriously fix things, but shouldn't we blame the people who distribute the leaked videos? FUNi's helping to pave the way for simulcasts in America, and the community thanks them by stealing the videos. FUNi's to blame a lot for the public server, but that doesn't make it any more right to steal and repost the videos.

For One piece?

Yeah

For FMA?

Total incompetence. Someone needs to get fired for this. I mean they basically had an unlocked door, and then added some tape to the damn thing.

Your already had it leaked, why the hell would you not do any actual security upgrades?
\
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Good job, FUNimation. /sarcasm
rangerx75

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

I'm sure that FUNi prob knows about this. Did ANN graciously attempt to inform FUNi of the torrent or are they relying on FUNi's forum monitoring-fu skills to let them get the info?

see funi's lawyer in action here -> animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=786788#786788

He responded before any of the ANN staff even posted.
dan888

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

It only escalates the situation. It's of virtually no benefit for people to know unless it results in a series cancellation. It only serves to have people come online and show how better they are at website security and streaming.

Edit: These people are doing it for their internet fame and you guys (ANN) are handing it to them on a silver platter.

This is anime news network, not "only positive anime news network". I am pretty sure it isn't ANN's job to support the companies, but rather to report on news that is related to anime. I am frankly interested in this story, and I for one am glad that ANN has reported on it. You may call it irresponsible for ANN to report on it, but it is a factual news worthy incident that was related to anime, therefore it should be reported in my opinion, and apparently ANN's opinion as well. You can argue that it isn't newsworthy, but the fact that this news article was made suggests that they did find it newsworthy.

Besides, the there is no benefit argument is flawed as well. One could argue that if ANN reported on the first leak, and then second leak of Phantom or FMA weeks ago, and each subsequent leak, then Funi would have had their stuff together by the time they began One Piece.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
rangerx75 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

see funi's lawyer in action here -> animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=786788#786788

He responded before any of the ANN staff even posted.

He was responding about the FMA ep. 9 leak after the article was posted and not the Phantom leak which is the thread we are in.

@braves: I was being generous on the "bordering" part.

@dan888: FUNi should not have to rely on ANN to know when there is a leak as they prob have people employed that monitor this stuff. As I see it, the continued reporting just gives the leakers a bigger ego as noted in the comments associated with ep. 10 torrent.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
well there goes anther one
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems like there are still members of the on-line anime community that like shooting us all in the foot. I agree with the argument that FUNi obviously needs to ramp up around protecting their website - so far the "simulcasts" have been a welcome and needed upgrade for fans. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not kowtowing to Funimation, I’m just acknowledging the fact that fans asked for legal access to series that are currently running in Japan, and they worked to make it happen.

That said, it's beyond me that certain punks would seek to ruin it for everybody by carrying on with these schoolyard antics. What does anyone gain from this?
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Here's a quick and dirty time line of what likely happened:
1) FUNi reposts FMA:B this morning/afternoon along with ep 9 on the backend server. As others reported, they added more obfuscation. The FMA:B 9 file was grabbed around this time. How is anyone's guess.

2) FUNi notices the leak and goes to upgrade things. The same person who posted the report card earlier notices and the post is edited to say that something has changed. (Something has changed. The file no longer has to buffer for you to skip ahead. Smile )

3) At this point, something goes wrong on their end and they accidentally put FMA:B 9 and Phantom 10 on their series pages and eventually make it to the front page. It is at this point that Phantom 10 is grabbed. (Note that the video was 100% public this time, viewable to all.)

4) Sometime soon after, FUNi notices the screwup and instantly disables that file. This is why it was always returning ERROR.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I feel genuinely bad for them. I think they rushed to get back on their feet and didn't properly audit their security...

To all the people saying you have to blame the hackers for it... Honestly, I think if you're going to run any sort of internet business, the responsibility lies with you to keep your stuff secure. I'm sure there's not a CIO in the world who would disagree with me on this.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
just... i have nothing to say...

seriously, what the hell is wrong with their security?
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
This is very, very stupid on Funimation's side, if they had already had a leak, why didn't they fix it?

Or just don't upload the show until the last minute.

hikaru004 wrote:

It only escalates the situation. It's of virtually no benefit for people to know unless it results in a series cancellation. It only serves to have people come online and show how better they are at website security and streaming.

Edit: These people are doing it for their internet fame and you guys (ANN) are handing it to them on a silver platter.

Hey, CNN reported on some crimes earlier on today, you might want to go and ask them to stop reporting them as they might contribute to the problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15