• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! + -Heart Throb (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok this episode pretty much confirms that the new girl wasn't the stalker from last episode. Satone was surprised to see Yuuta during school.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

So they used to spoiler[touch noses]? Well I call that practically be spoiler[an ex since nose touching is practically kissing in some cultures. And based off what she said when she left the table, she might plan to fight with Rikka over who should be with Yuuta, maybe not in imagination way].

And oh yes over Yuuta being spoiler[forced into magical girl garbs]. The whole bit was great to watch.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Ok, normally I don't rag on subtitles, but supposedly there's an inconsistency on how this scene was translated which in a subtle way changes the entire character dynamic and reasoning. Here's one from Crunchyroll:

http://i.imgur.com/miwzXOJ.jpg

and here one of the fansubbers:

http://i.imgur.com/Hzeg3Jn.jpg

...and the now-becoming-unofficial KyoAni fanboy and translator of insider stuff ultimatemegax says the latter is the latter correct. Anyone else can confirm or deny?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ok, normally I don't rag on subtitles, but supposedly there's an inconsistency on how this scene was translated which in a subtle way changes the entire character dynamic and reasoning. Here's one from Crunchyroll:

http://i.imgur.com/miwzXOJ.jpg

and here one of the fansubbers:

http://i.imgur.com/Hzeg3Jn.jpg

...and the now-becoming-unofficial KyoAni fanboy and translator of insider stuff ultimatemegax says the latter is the latter correct. Anyone else can confirm or deny?

According to the wiki page, spoiler[ she had to transfer and didn't say goodbye.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
That does flow better with the flow of the conversation afterwards.
dlm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Season 2, Episode 3

So they used to spoiler[touch noses]? Well I call that practically be spoiler[an ex since nose touching is practically kissing in some cultures. ].

And now look more closely at the season's thumbnail image.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
@ WHG - God, that's annoying. I mean, if CR's subtitles are wrong, it completely changes the meaning of that scene. Well, I guess these things are done quickly.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ WHG - God, that's annoying. I mean, if CR's subtitles are wrong, it completely changes the meaning of that scene. Well, I guess these things are done quickly.

I have been informed through a legit source that the subtitle script used for this show on Crunchyroll comes from TBS. I've verified personally that the script is also used for Madman's stream and it's likely used for Animax in the UK as well to maintain consistency between services from TBS's POV. This reflects poorly on all services involved when the official subtitles are that incorrect. (It's not "if", they are undoubtedly wrong.)

To be honest, watching the second season through this translator(s)'s job has been an exercise in frustration. I counted 19 objective mistakes the script had in episode 1 alone. (not things like "Wicked Lord Shindan" which annoy me personally, but aren't objectively incorrect) When a company hired for translation doesn't take the time to check if you're translating names of main characters correctly for text on screen, it doesn't bode well for accuracy.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
Well crunchyroll does allow you to report translation errors so can always try that. I mean when it comes to speed subbing there's always a possibility of error's popping up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
@ ultimatemegax - thank you for bringing this to our attention. I wonder if I could ask a favour - and please feel free to tell me to go pound sand since it would require work on your part. Would you mind continuing to let us know what major mistakes (if any) are being made. I don't need to know about every minor sparrow that falls, but it's certainly nice to know about huge blunders that actually CHANGE THE MEANING OF THE SCENE. Grrr, grrr.

Last edited by Blood- on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ ultimatemegax - thank you for bringing this to our attention. I wonder if I could ask a favour - and please feel free to go pound sand since it would require work on your part. Would you mind continuing to let us know what major mistakes (if any) are being made. I don't need to know about every minor sparrow that falls, but it's certainly nice to know about huge blunders that actually CHANGE THE MEANING OF THE SCENE. Grrr, grrr.

It's no more than what I've already done/plan to do. After watching episode 1, I contacted Crunchyroll saying there were a lot of errors in the translation script both from a translation/grammatical/nonsensical standpoint and got asked to provide a list. (That's how I know it was 19 mistakes in that episode.) I'll be keeping lists of how many mistakes were made and sending them onward when it's done such that TBS knows how poor of a job the scripts have been for a title that should be their flagship international title this season.

If there's another huge mistake like this, I'll be sure to post in here. I was slightly wary due to some venting over Sentai and I was afraid it would look like I was continuing to rag on them via posting in the various forums I do about the mistake, so I didn't post it myself. I'll do so in the future. To clarify, I won't be nagging about examples like when Dekomori called everyone "Master" in episode 1, but I'll post examples like how Nibutani said "our middle school memories" (when it was just hers, not Rikka's).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Much appreciated. I've corrected it already, but I'm sure you already figured out in my original request it was supposed to read please feel free to TELL ME to go pound sand.

Again, it's up to you, but I don't think anyone would object if you cut'n'pasted your list of mistakes in this thread. I confess I'm curious as to what some of the more minor ones are. If you feel shy about doing that, feel free to PM me if it's not too much trouble.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Damn this new relationship between Dekimori and Nibutani was short lived. Unfortunately for Nibutani spoiler[the whole school knows about her past and she also ended up in the same spot as Isshiki.]

Also stalker girl strikes again in this episode. You can see her face.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

Laughing
Briliant and cringe worthy.
I guess that I would wonder how they could do a Shinka episode, and this definitely was it, and also somewhat material for Shinka X Dekomori shipping. But first have to start with the funny revelation that after spoiler[Shichimiya transferred schools she ended up becoming Shinka's friend, and shared in their 8th grade syndrome], oh the face as they spoiler[recognised each other]. And after photo proof was provided Dekomori realized the truth and became spoiler[loyal to Mori Summer], which was actually kind of freaky.

Kumin got some nice moments, like being the reason Dekomori ran off, making what Yuuta and Rikka were doing sound suggestive (upsetting Yuuta and Shinka with her cute act) and liking things to stay in their normal fighting mode.

Makoto got no love, and it was a little disappointing spoiler[Shinka ended up in the same position]. It was obvious what was going to happen after Dekomori spoiler[took her picture, that she had let her guard down and put too much faith in something that could break easily]. There seems to be some implication that her running and trying various clubs and that look really are part of a syndrome.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too much of a Mori Summer fan but Season 2, episode 4 really got me into it! Lol, I feel sorry for her though since spoiler[she literally got trolled there at the end by Dekomori.]

As a continued gag, Rikka still feels a bit jealous towards that new girl and I think that will develop a bit later. This was a refreshing fun episode and I enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 21