• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell 2 Subtitle / CC issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
GSAttack wrote:
It just goes to show this is one area of film that Dreamworks should stay out of. Sad

Not really. They did a fine job on "Millennium Actress". I don't understund how they could screw up this DVD release do badly.
Spintii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The subtitling of things like "silence" and "music playing" didn't really bother me that much. What really ticked me off is how freakin HUGE they made the subtitles! You're trying to enjoy the animation and the text is completly obscuring the character who is speaking on screen. Just a bad bad job. Dreamworks should of done their homework and looked at the way subtitles should be done.
daggerbob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the DVD of the movie. I did find the close caption sound effects to be a distraction from the rest of the movie. They should of just added in the subtitling of the theatrical release. I wonder if they have an email address we could send our complaints and insights to them?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
I heard about this from others online who bought it. This is inexcusably cheap and disgusting for a movie of this reputation.

The article says it's closed captioned because of concerns about compadability with older players. Bull. That's a lame excuse. I have not heard any othe forign language DVD doing this garbage. I think maybe I heard Toyo Godfathers, but the person wasn't sure. Still for such a title, heck any foreign film, this is downright insulting.

And don't even get me going on how horrible that cover is. Any of the original promo peices would be better than that ugly ugly cover. Who do they expect to appeal to with that? They make it look like a #*($ing generic action flick with Jean Claude Van Damme, dammit! Plus thowing a quote on the cover from Harry freaking Knowels at AICN is an insult. Hell, I wrote a review for the movie for a decently known site and even then I would never want my quote uglying up the front cover.

Until Dreamworks give this wonderful film a DVD that is proper, I cannot spend money on it. I was ready to get it when it was realeased, but thankfully I heard how cheap it was. The horrible cover I could replace, but I cannot waste money on such a cheap DVD treament overall. This is a big named title and they realsed a cheap and not even bare bones DVD. This is not even par for lower budget films. Terrible.

-Xenos
JackBassV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quote
You think the coments on this site are bad?

Try reading these on the offical GiTS2 site.

4 pages and climbing - no thanks for a great job, just
hope DW never makes another Anime release again

JBV^_^
Neo_1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
One thing that bugs the hell out of me is how DW got the liscense for the movie while manga corp didn't. Manga has the liscense for the Original and in co-op with Bandai for SAC. They should really keep it in the Family for this one. But your right the audio track stinks like Dead fish, and the HI trans is awful compared to the release in the theaters. Frankly I like a choice to watch in an Eng. Sub. or a Eng Dub Version I don't if its only Sub but freinds of mine prefer to watch a dub version.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
From the fan forum on the GitS 2 web site:

DreamWorks
1000 Flower Street
Glendale CA 91201
Tel: (818) 695-6672
Fax: (818) 695-3140

Write them and let them know you are disappointed.
Strategos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The only thing we can do is flood them with letters, emails, calls and faxes since they are basically guilty of false advertising since there are no english subs, only CC. I don't understand how they could screw this up so badly given that Millenium Actress turned out fine on DVD. Oh, and yea, the DVD cover is horrifically ugly given the Japanese posters/cover art. Tried to Americanize it as much as possible, yuck.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I just heard from Dreamworks, and they'll be getting back to me with firm information later today or tomorrow, but what I was told so far indicates that this was in fact a mistake and they are looking to correct it.

-t
Tiresias

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
From that letter, it looks doubtful that they will ever re-release the movie with a proper sub track. All they seem to be wanting to do is push it under the rug and ignore the problem. After all, if they admitted to it being a mistake, not only would they have to redo the disc and add the proper track, but then they'd have to replace all the defective discs.

At best, it seems all we can hope for is another release in a year or so with "Remastered picture and sound" in which they will put in a proper sub track with a couple other languages, and maybe even a dub, even though that goes against their foreign film release policy. Or we can hope their license will lapse in a decade or so and someone else will grab it.

EDIT: This changes things slightly. Hey Tempest, maybe you should also ask them what was up with that explanation letter they sent.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
You think the coments on this site are bad?

Try reading these on the offical GiTS2 site.

4 pages and climbing - no thanks for a great job, just
hope DW never makes another Anime release again

JBV^_^

The thread is now 11 pages long.

Oh, and I think Dreamworks did this because it didn't make them a ton of money, so they didn't feel like treating us to what this release really should have had.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Until Dreamworks give this wonderful film a DVD that is proper, I cannot spend money on it. I was ready to get it when it was realeased, but thankfully I heard how cheap it was.

I was going to buy it too, until I heard how bad it was. I'm not going to and shouldn't support DW until they get it right.

Quote:
Oh, and I think Dreamworks did this because it didn't make them a ton of money, so they didn't feel like treating us to what this release really should have had.

That could be the case, but either way they are going to loose money. People are hearing how bad this DVD is, and that is going to hurt their sales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
House_of_cary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
What i dont get is that i went to the theater. AND IT HAD A SUB!!!

no "(crash)"

I mean c'mon "(explosion sound)" - as batou fires a shotgun in the opening scene

c'mon at least "gunfire" or an elongated "shotgun going off, actually you can nearly see it, is this sub too long, oops i better cut it short because lordy knows we got plenty of stuff in the rest of the movies to type""
Geomancer21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, Unfortunatly I can not and will not buy this or any other Dreamworks release until they,

1. Give the movie a proper dub

and

2. fix the sub issue
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Geomancer21 wrote:
Well, Unfortunatly I can not and will not buy this or any other Dreamworks release until they,

1. Give the movie a proper dub

You'll be waiting a long time then, 'cause it's not getting one, just like Millenium Actress didn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6