• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell 2 Subtitle / CC issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I just heard from Dreamworks, and they'll be getting back to me with firm information later today or tomorrow, but what I was told so far indicates that this was in fact a mistake and they are looking to correct it.

-t

Either that or their PR department is going to paint it as a mistake since that initial statement posted suggested that they had no intention to do proper English subtitles.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I was going to sell my copy to EB once I listened to the commentary anyway. Anyway, whatever manufacturer screwed up Innocence is probably the same one which ruined Back to the Future and Meaning of Life. Or maybe they were in a hurry to send out screeners to the elderly Academy voters, and they accidentally copied them on to the main discs.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Hey Tempest, since it's now officially the day AFTER tomorrow from your post, has DW given you any more info? Or do you think they're gonna say that since yesterday was a Saturday, they couldn't make any decision and it will wait until Monday?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
Hey Tempest, since it's now officially the day AFTER tomorrow from your post, has DW given you any more info? Or do you think they're gonna say that since yesterday was a Saturday, they couldn't make any decision and it will wait until Monday?

Oops, that was my mistake. They told me "later today (Friday) or Monday."

-t
Geomancer21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Geomancer21 wrote:
Well, Unfortunatly I can not and will not buy this or any other Dreamworks release until they,

1. Give the movie a proper dub

You'll be waiting a long time then, 'cause it's not getting one, just like Millenium Actress didn't.

I've waited half a decade for a dub of magical project S, a decade for a gargoyles release, over a decade for tenchi OVA3 (and i am waiting till its released here and dubbed before i watch a single second of the show) and two decades for a noozles release. i can wait for a GITS2 dub.

Oh, and it will be dubbed eventually.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
How can you wait over a decade on Tenchi OVA 3 when it didn't start airing until the beginning of last year, and nobody knew about it until at least 6 months prior?

Oh, and based on how portrayed yourself in that post makes you sound like you are too good to listen to the original Japanese language. Tell me your reasoning on why you refuse to listen to the original Japanese language and subtitle (oh, don't tell me you can't read fast enough)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
How can you wait over a decade on Tenchi OVA 3 when it didn't start airing until the beginning of last year, and nobody knew about it until at least 6 months prior?

Oh, and based on how portrayed yourself in that post makes you sound like you are too good to listen to the original Japanese language. Tell me your reasoning on why you refuse to listen to the original Japanese language and subtitle (oh, don't tell me you can't read fast enough)
Well it is almost a decade now since the finish of the last OVA before Mr. Kajishima announced in his infamous AIC interview in 2000 that he intended to pick it up again after GXP, then until now when it is finally getting released in Japan so far. We will have to wait until at least late this year or maybe early 2006 before FUNimation will finally release it dubbed. ( hopefully with mostly all of the original VA's Rolling Eyes ) I believe this is what Geomancer21 meant.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Geomancer21 wrote:

And you think this because....?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Geomancer21 wrote:

And you think this because....?

Because he thinks he knows everything.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Because he... want's to listen to it in his native language, perhaps? I dunno, taking stabs in the dark here.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
If it does even better in video sales than the first one, then they'll have to release a new edition within a year or so anyway.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If it does even better in video sales than the first one, then they'll have to release a new edition within a year or so anyway.
Very true, hence why if you haven't bought the DVD yet it might be a good idea to hold out for awhile and see if they come out with a special edition.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Are they officially releasing the Japanese version? Last time I read, it was that or remake it, and nobody was sure what Dreamworks planned to do.

It says in the GoFish website that the Japanese version is coming out this year.

http://www.gofishpictures.com/
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
OK Tempest, now that Monday is basically gone, have you heard anything more from DW on this matter? I'm wanting to purchase this disc, but I'm not about to buy it if DW is just gonna leave such a royal screw-up in place without replacing them with what we were promised on the back of the case.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
They don't have an official stance yet. I've got my own connections and I'll know when they do, and I promise I'll post it here when it comes in if Tempest doesn't beat me to it.

Here's what likely has to happen, which takes awhile. They more than likely want to announce a replacement program at the same time. This means the following

Step 1- Assertain where in the production line this screwup happened (probably someone checking the "CC" box instead of the "straight sub" on the work order)

Step 2- Figure out the best and quickest way to fix it (obvious, but still must be implemented)

Step 3- Get the disc re-authored (going to take a few days, as usually subs are done by a seperate company like Captions Inc. from the DVD)

Step 4- Get a repressing scheduled on production lines (usual time, 4-6 weeks from order to press)

Step 5- Arrange for a fufillment house to run the program

Step 6- Write the announcement, have it approved by legal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6