• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Back From Los Angeles Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
All I will say on this matter is: patience! Zac is working on something really cool that you'll all hear about soon.

Does it have to do with that mysterious shadowy figure on the left edge of the site? Anime dazed

Also: AMVs are awesome - and responsible for at least 25% of my anime purchases.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally, I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged this morning.

Ugh.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Maybe I'm just terribly unobservant, but I've never really been able to notice the difference between animation shot on threes versus on twos.

Actually Japanese animators are using combination of 2's (12fps) and 3's (8fps) in their scenes. Sometimes they use 1's (24fps) in some scenes, but they're very rare.

I'm sure everyone noticed that recent Anime titles are having more and more gestural and natural reaction animations. For one thing, I was pleasantly surprised to watch a Z Gundam movie having some gestural animations. It's definitely a step up from previous decades, but also more labor for animators.

Last edited by reanimator on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Also: AMVs are awesome - and responsible for at least 25% of my anime purchases.

Every Viewer's Choice Awards Season at Anime Music Videos.org usually gives me one or two new anime series to watch. While I don't think that results in 25% of my anime purchases because 1) I keep up with anime in other ways, and 2) a lot of them are unlicensed, I would never have watched RahXephon if it wasn't for the Video of the Year back in 2004. Now it's one of my favorite series, and my ADV Box Set has seen a lot of use.

What I'd actually say is that AMVs account for 50% of my music purchases. I don't listen to the radio much, so AMVs become my outlet for learning about music groups. And some of the songs people use are downright obscure (at least in in America); I never would have heard of Within Temptation or Emilie Autumn without AMVs.
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
(I remember when every third AMV was set to "Heart of Sword". It was years before I could listen to that song.)

Reminds me of how, when I first discovered anime music videos, it seemed at the time that Every Other AMV in the Universe had to be set to Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life." Don't get me wrong, it's a good song even today, but talk about beating a dead horse (not like alt-rock radio didn't kill it enough). Rolling Eyes Thankfully AMVs i've seen since have gotten more varied in musical selection.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
...when I first discovered anime music videos, it seemed at the time that Every Other AMV in the Universe had to be set to Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life." Don't get me wrong, it's a good song even today, but talk about beating a dead horse (not like alt-rock radio didn't kill it enough). Rolling Eyes Thankfully AMVs i've seen since have gotten more varied in musical selection.

It helps that Evanescence banned people from using their songs...
Shirogane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I didn't encounter too many AMVs with Evanescence songs; it was mainly Linkin Park...but then again, I was into Dragonball Z at the time.

Yeah, I like AMVs too, but sometimes I'm a little wary of watching ones of shows that I haven't seen in case there are major spoilers. If I want to see if a show is worth watching (i.e., borderline interest), then I'll watch the AMV. If it is a show I know for sure that I'll be watching in the future, I'll wait until I finish it before seeing the AMV.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
AMV=wasting of the time
Sometimes they can be funny, but I've never seen one wchich was able to watch more than once.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The quote from the person who asked about Zac:

Quote:
I noticed that the person you replaced has been dormant since he retired from this column. So what is he going to be doing now? I have been waiting for such a long time to read his style of humor in another column. Personally I enjoy it, though I don't enjoy him. What's taking him so long?

Am I the only one who can't make heads or tails of this? Unless Zac is personally reading one of his pieces to you in your home, how can you be in a position to "enjoy" him or not?
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
When Sakura Con was going on around here back in April, I was having lunch that Sunday with my family and my in-laws after church. My father-in-law mentioned seeing a news report about Sakura Con, and scoffed that all anime is "poorly drawn cartoons." My husband and I exchanged glances with each other, but didn't say a word.

But, then again, it can be hard for me to take my father-in-law's opinions seriously sometimes... because, this is a man who thought the kids' show "Bananas in Pajamas" was such a WONDERFUL show. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
My Neighbor Liz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I tried to watch the Flake of the Week's but it was set to private. What was so weird about it?
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The quote from the person who asked about Zac:

Quote:
I noticed that the person you replaced has been dormant since he retired from this column. So what is he going to be doing now? I have been waiting for such a long time to read his style of humor in another column. Personally I enjoy it, though I don't enjoy him. What's taking him so long?

Am I the only one who can't make heads or tails of this? Unless Zac is personally reading one of his pieces to you in your home, how can you be in a position to "enjoy" him or not?

It could be that that person doesn't like Zac outside of his humor. Or they like his column, but not his posts outside of it. There are a lot of people I like for their humor and that's it (unfortunately).
Sarukah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Haha, what? Can I get a link if possible, I would love to see how and where they said that.

Altorrin wrote:
...There are a lot of people I like for their humor and that's it (unfortunately).

Its like avoiding learning of your favorite actor/actress's political views, it usually ruins the whole thing :<
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Haha, what? Can I get a link if possible, I would love to see how and where they said that.

Not sure how they did it, but 4, maybe 5 years ago, Anime Music Videos.org got a notice to remove all links to videos using Evanescence songs. My understanding is that they were concerned people were using AMVs to make copies of their music by recording just the audio (I knew someone who actually did this). You can still find them in other places if you look, though.

The complaint may seem silly, but their songs were overused, so maybe they did the world a favor. Wink
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, it feels pretty cool to get my question answered! Sure it was really more of a mild curiosity than a burning question about cons, but it was still fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4