• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Watched episode 3 last night, and I am glad to see that my instincts about this show were not off - there's definitely more here than we were initially expecting.

I really enjoy the mix of drama and slapstick. Things previously mentioned by other posters certainly effected me as well, especially spoiler[Misaki's breakdown on the bridge], but I also found some of the slapstick moments awesome - getting run into a pillar in the wall, milk spit in the fact, failpunch at the end, etc etc. Smile This might be my second favorite show this season after My Little Monster.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
...and for a completely different opinion: I've dropped this. I made the decision a few minutes into eppie 3. I just realized I didn't care about the characters, the situation and the humour wasn't really landing for me. Again, I don't consider this a terrible series by any stretch, it's just that we didn't bond.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd suggest you watch all of episode 3 before making your decision.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode three was actually pretty good. It focused less on the panties and more on the drama and character development.

I might continue with this show if the other twenty-three currently-airing series I'm watching don't get in the way.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
i really wasn't expecting the direction episode 3 took and now im hoping the series can find a nice mix of comedy and drama. sticking with this one to the end. hopefully we will get to know a little more about Nanami now
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not totally sure what's keeping me watching this anime, but I think it's the sheer honesty about it. Like, it shrouds itself in not necessarily playing certain anime stereotypes while lauding (or outright embracing) others.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

The ending to this episode made me SO HAPPY. Like, 'tears in my eyes' happy. That was amazing.

I want to joke about how this show turned from a shtick-fest to a serious look at finding oneself among growing talent, but I frigging LOVE how it's all turning out.

If this show ended right now, I'd be happy. Seriously, the rest of the show has big shoes to fill (at least for me).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Yeah it is good, and the type of good that makes me think that it can't really get better. They fooled us with the first couple episodes, but not the shallow series it sets itself as, the title even sounds like it is demeaning to the girl, but there is character.

It turns out that Mashiro's spoiler[manga did not pass, and Sorata is actually relieved, Mashiro is crushed in running to his room, and Sorata runs out in the rain, hating himself. Jin gives some kind words, and says he felt the same for Nanami, he is only human, and computer person leaves some books for him to do his wish].

It is not until later that we find out the truth about the manga: Mashiro spoiler[apparently is a great artist, but has trouble with story, and instead was useing her time at Sakurasou as inspiration. We see the situations she used with Sorata were for the story, probably both character's facial expressions, but interestingly the heroin of the story is wondering what to do and decides to leave at the end. Of course that is a bad end, no one would like it, and Sorata realises that that was the end he chose. Then followed by dramatic run, including turning in his career plan as "some college".] And an ending that could finish the story there. I especially liked how the tears bit was done.

And for an added bit, but could what Mashiro said at the end in the preview with the cat "Hikari", be a hint to the theory I said earlier?
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
An Id for an added bit, but could what Mashiro said at the end in the preview with the cat "Hikari", be a hint to the theory said earlier?

About Programmer-kun being a female? No, I don't think that's what the preview was alluding to at all. I think it was alluding to Nanami moving into Sakurasou.

It was Mashiro's voice, talking to Hikari the cat. She said that Hikari is a female and that she's expecting another female to show up. Couple that with Nanami holding a white cat (Hikari?) and I think it all adds up.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Plus, Nanami is an up-and-coming voice actor. That adds to the talent pool.

What I think is going to happen at the end of it is that the whole of Sakurasou is going to band together to make a game. With Programmer-san and Sorata doing coding, Misaki and her beau doing animations, Mashiro doing art and Nanami doing voice work.

Something like that, anyway.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The cat's pregnant.
Quote:
Hikari is a girl.
I have a feeling we'll have more girls.
That's what Hikari said.

Add on the fact that Nanami is looking at Hikari's stomach, and I think it's pretty obvious. At least, I thought it was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
So he will end up with a litter of new cats?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
That seems to be where they're headed with it. I don't know how it'll tie in, but I'm curious. Nanami might try to use it as an excuse to move into Sakurasou so she can pretend to help out Sorata. Maybe Sorata will use it a shield to lie to her about why he wants to stay. "Oh, look at that, more cats! Guess I still have to stay here a bit longer *sweat drop*" He could be embarrassed about wanting to become a game programmer, or maybe he wants to avoid telling her about what he went through the last few episodes.

Whatever it is, I can't wait to see it. It's a really good show so far, and it's almost a shame people wrote it off as soon as it was announced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
This episode was obviously the end of the first novel, which is why the story feels complete.

It was a very good episode dealing with some more legit human issues. I especially like how Sorata has a pair of positive male influences in his life. Akasaka is kind of the mysterious mentor who knows everything right now, but I especially like Sorata's relationship with Jin. Jin is there to support Sorata, but he's also got his own set of problems which allows him to both empathise with, and be harsh with Sorata (and by extension himself) at the same time.

While I don't expect the next two or so episodes to hit these highs (since they essentially have to 'start over' with a new novel), I'm sure the climax of the arc will deliver.

But it's pretty clear in the next ep spoiler[Nanami will move to Sakurasou. I don't know why people are thinking pregnant cat Laughing]
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
The cat's pregnant.
Quote:
Hikari is a girl.
I have a feeling we'll have more girls.
That's what Hikari said.

Add on the fact that Nanami is looking at Hikari's stomach, and I think it's pretty obvious. At least, I thought it was.
Also, it's a fairly big cat, all said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 24