• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell Special Edition DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
If you haven't already, buy this DVD. It's awesome, everything I expected and then some. I highly recomend it. Cool

There isn't much I can say better than the review...
Quote:
Writing about Ghost in the Shell is like dancing about architecture: a second-hand form of expression that could never convey the genuine experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
But the question is - if you already have the orginal GitS DVD is it worth buying another copy of it?
jaguar_cult

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
The most hyped and overrated anime of all time.
Innocence blew the original away.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Does this thing have the Brian Eno and/or original closing song? Brian Eno is great, but the original had a delightful stupidity that served as a perfect after-dinner mint to the film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
jaguar_cult wrote:
The most hyped and overrated anime of all time.
Innocence blew the original away.

Gotta love when people just drop a statement like this in the middle of a thread without arguing a single reason for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Gotta love when people just drop a statement like this in the middle of a thread without arguing a single reason for it?

Aww C'mon Nagi, it's like when I used to ask my parents why they thought anime was bad. I would get the inevitable, "because I said so" response. Laughing
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
It is kinda interesting to see that they put a trailer for the Ghost in the Shell: Innocence in this release.

Watching the original trailer, they give project 2501 a femal voice in the dub. Why not just keep it a male voice like the Japanese tracks has.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dagwood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But the question is - if you already have the orginal GitS DVD is it worth buying another copy of it?

Well, I'm not exactly sure. I don't own a copy of the original myself. So, I can't really help you there, but I can tell you it has more special features (hence, the second disc).

Oh, maybe someone who owns both could put in their 2 cents Wink.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
It is kinda interesting to see that they put a trailer for the Ghost in the Shell: Innocence in this release.

Watching the original trailer, they give project 2501 a femal voice in the dub. Why not just keep it a male voice like the Japanese tracks has.

Ehh... I'm not quite sure what you are speaking of. The dub of Puppetmaster IS a male voice. Up until the point that it... spoiler[merges with the Major]
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
No, this is earlier, when they are in that building and he is on that table.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't break out my good 'ole VHS of GitS cause my VCR bit the bullet a few months ago (which is why I will be getting the DVD) but I'm quite certain PM had a male voice until the end.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
In the ENGLISH dub, PM had a female voice the entire time.
In the JAPANESE track, PM had a male voice up until he took over Kusanagi's (The Major's) voice.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
In the ENGLISH dub, PM had a female voice the entire time.

Umm... no... PM had a male voice until the merge in the English dub. And to prove my point.. how many women do you know with the name Abe Lasser?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
Then why did the trailer give PM a female voice in the scene right after spoiler[the cyborg body was hit by a truck?]
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Then why did the trailer give PM a female voice in the scene right after spoiler[the cyborg body was hit by a truck?]

I can't remember if PM started talking with a female voice and then switched right after that or not. It pisses me off that I can't just pop the VHS in!!! Must... buy.... DVD... tomorrow...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2