• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Discontinues Collections

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpb3000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I wanted to see Love Hina too but I don't really want to spend the money. They probably still have it at Best Buy or wherever. Did they say anything about the Escaflowne? Because I have been meaning to get that for years.

I picked up the entire Escaflowne subbed VHS box set for $20 at a going-out-of-business sale at a local video store. It was an awesome score Anime smile However, this thing was from back when Bandai was called AnimeVillage, so I doubt it's easy to find anymore...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Here is the Escaflowne Perfect Collection Box for $79.98 from Amazon, or from Deep Discount DVD for $60.

And for those of us who prefer subbed VHS Wink :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000IBPA/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/102-4201758-8744946?v=glance
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
I knew about this back in November when Deep Discount DVD removed Banner of the Stars II Collection and Betterman from its site during the 20% off sale.

After several phone calls to DDD, totally denying that they took it down in error, I contacted Bandai. Via email, Bandai confirmed that these collections were out of print LESS THAN 1 MONTH INTO PRODUCTION.

I picked up collections for Betterman, Banner of the Stars I, and II over the past couple months through various means.

The news was quite a shock, considering the Banner II collection came out not long ago... but I shouldn't be surprised: My local Best Buy (where I used to work) got in 6 Banner II collections when it was released. I bought one... and the other 5 remain gathering dust. Sad Poor Seikai, so under-appreciated!
animalia555

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm glad I've already got my Ronin Warriors collection.

Nostalgia-riffic.

By the way what is the relationship between the TV series and the OVA.[/quote]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad I've already got my Ronin Warriors collection.

Nostalgia-riffic.

By the way what is the relationship between the TV series and the OVA.

Excuse me if I speak more in terms of Yoroiden Samurai Troopers rather than the English counterpart Ronin Warriors. I've been watching the DVDs on the YST side.

The OVAs ("Gaiden", "Kikoutei Densetsu", and "Message") take place after the TV series.

"Gaiden" is about Seiji (Sage) being held captive in America by an evil spirit who wants to use his armor (and the others, eventually) for his own purposes. The others fly to New York when they hear the Kourin (Halo) armor has been attacking people there.

"Kikoutei Densetsu" has a mysterious African warrior posessing great power and a black Kikoutei (Inferno) armor attacking the Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors). The nature of the armors (especially the Kikoutei) comes into question.

"Message" takes place some years after "Kikoutei Densetsu" and is a mostly reflective OVA, where the ST (RW) reflect on their battles thoughout the TV series and the previous OVA. There are some other happenings, but I don't want to give away too much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JackBassV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:11 am Reply with quote
Got the love Hina Perfect collection Smile
But it's not perfect - It won't play on my PC Sad

Neither does it have Love Live Hina in Osaka - I got that, and Live in Tokyo, from the internet.

JBV^_^
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:

Neither does it have Love Live Hina in Osaka - I got that, and Live in Tokyo, from the internet.

Of course it doesn't.. that's not part of the series first of all, and second of all they aren't available domestically.
PenPen69

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
I knew about this back in November when Deep Discount DVD removed Banner of the Stars II Collection and Betterman from its site during the 20% off sale.

I was able to get both of the Banner sets during their 20% off sale. I got Banner II right away, but Banner 1 was backordered and I received it a couple weeks later. I must have got lucky. Glad I didn't wait too much later to pick these up. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2