• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Yep, because FUNI and Sentai are the bastions of quality alright. Guys, don't worry about Mario; he's sticking to his same-old guns and that's all there ever was and will be to it.

This just popped into my head, but I'm also interested in seeing the excessive/unnecessary attention to details that SHAFT added onto the blu-ray. That's always fun.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
yes I always do enjoy SHAFT doing that lol
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
I should be the one saying "SON OF A NOOOOOOOOOOO" because I spent $310 on the 7 Japanese Blu-ray volumes just four days ago, and I'll probably double-dip as well.

I've had my imports a bit longer than that. I didn't buy them as they were getting released, but I had them all shortly after the last BD came out. I'm very likely to double-dip with NISA's set if it's on Blu-ray. DVD only? Probably not.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
hopefully we will get a nice big limited edition box with a picture of erio on one side.
S127

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I only streamed about 3 episodes and decided this was a must own for me. I was considering importing the BR's but my Japanese is still limited. I am so glad NIS who I really respect as an anime distributor picked this up, it's going to look fantastic Exclamation Surprised Very Happy Smile Laughing
Matriel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

You really think having english dubs make them worth double the price? I don't. It doesnt take that much extra work or money. The hardest and most expensive part is translating, and both obviously do that.

! I hope you're being sarcastic, man. I'm sure you are, but for the unaware...

Quote:

Question:
Why is dubbing freaken expensive and was it always like that?

Answer:
Subtitling anime is relatively inexpensive. Consider, for example, that countless amateur anime fans worldwide routinely produce professional quality subtitles at no cost, using only their own knowledge and their personal home computers. Subtitling can be accomplished by as little as one person working alone. Dubbing, however, has significantly greater requirements. An effective, professional quality dub requires multiple actors, a director, and recording technicians who all need to be paid for their time and work. According to professional voice actor Kyle Hebert, “The average dubbing rate in Los Angeles is $64.25 an hour with a 2 hour minimum.” This rate applies to SAG or AFTRA union-member actors. Non-union sanctioned voice acting work may cost a little bit less. But several actors earning over $100 each to provide voices for just a single short anime episode, compiled with the costs of booking recording studio use, and paying a director & technicians to produce the recording, then technicians to master and mix the recording quickly adds up. Multiplying those costs by 12, 13, or 26 episodes definitely costs far more than paying a single translator to sit at a keyboard and produce subtitles. At least since 2008, $10,000 per episode has been the ballpark range for the cost of producing a professional caliber English dub for a single 25 minute anime episode.

These days, with the diminished American anime market, numerous anime titles reach American distribution without an English dub. When the cost of producing a dub can easily run over $200,000, many anime series brought to America will never sell enough copies to recover that expense, so the only viable method to release the show domestically is to reduce its localization costs, the most expensive of which is typically the dub. Adding an English dub does make anime more marketable and attractive to consumers, but many niche shows brought to America are most likely to sell to hardcore fans that will purchase the show regardless of the availability of an English dub. When including a dub will only marginally increase sales, the expense of producing the dub makes the difference between a license that breaks even or generates revenue and a title that loses money and drives its distributor into debt.

This entry was posted on Friday, February 24th, 2012 at 2:40 pm and is filed under Ask John. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

{animenation.net/blog/2012/02/24/ask-john-why-does-dubbing-cost-so-much/}

Rolling Eyes
Altacia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Love NISA.

Never heard of this show. Downloading a few of the episodes now to see if it's any good...

I hope there's another pretty NISA Box in my future.
manicli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Yep I missed and will be missing Anohana because of that very reason. No dub, no Blu-ray then no buy. That is how it work with me. If it doesn't get dubbed or picked up by FUNimation Viz or Sentai then that means the show is mostly likely terrible if they didn't want anything to do with it. Something NIS get lucky an ruin my day but most of the time FUNi Viz and Sentai get the right stuff and Sentai picks the right show to dub and sub... That is how I look at things these days to save myself disappointment.

By your logic then I guess Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl is a terrible show. Since you obviously have no interesting in terrible shows I guess this doesn't really affect you in any way.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Great news as far as I'm concerned. I prefer dubs but can deal with subs and when something gets a sub only release I prefer it to be NISA cause they have a nice release that isn't massively overpriced(a bit more pricey sure but not 100's and 100's for a single series)

I remember watching the first episode of this when it came out and really liked what I saw and the main reason I didn't watch the whole thing was I thought it would likely be a quick license but I guess I was wrong. Better late then never and for those complaining about it being NISA who got it. Be glad we are getting it at all.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of this title, but I've yet to run across a NIS America title that I didn't like. I also love the show's pedigree (And Yet the Town Moves, Madoka Magica, Maria Holic, and Arakawa Under the Bridge). I will definitely check this one out.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
your typical auto-mechanic charges more per hour, however, once you tally up how many actors you need for a single episode the costs begin to skyrocket.

it is definitely one of the larger costs for anime released in the US. Honestly, they are underpaid and jobs are scarce which means the talent pool suffers, which means most dubs are bad.
who knows how much the agency takes as their cut too.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I actually really like NISA (at least as a game company): they always give me a bunch of useless crap that goes on to accumulate dust in my graveyard of unplayed games.

Man, I'm not even trolling: I actually like having that stuff; I was disappointed when I wasn't able to get onboard the Atelier Meruru LE because my Gamestop never had a pre-order for it.

(unlike the last two Atelier games)

This is a show I actually want to own (I probably like this show better than Madoka since it's not totally obvious about what it's all about), so it's good that they're coming out with it.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I didn't consider whether or not we're getting a BD...

I hope we get BDs.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn, I've been hoping this would get licensed and it ended up getting picked up by my favorite company! High five Blood-! Well, even if you're not as excited by this announcement as I am, I know you'll be picking it up anyways Smile
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Well it cool some one picked this up but why couldnt be some one who will dub this
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I just realized that we're probably not gonna get BDs

Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12