• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's Ponyo Drops to #12 with US$2.4 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
It's not a big susprise. With the new GIJOE movie around and that new tarrintinto movie,the drop had to happen.

However there's one thing that's certain, it's more than certain to win the oscar next year for best animated movies unless another shrek come in before november which is the main reason why these movies are made in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DClark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
It's not a big susprise. With the new GIJOE movie around and that new tarrintinto movie,the drop had to happen.

However there's one thing that's certain, it's more than certain to win the oscar next year for best animated movies unless another shrek come in before november which is the main reason why these movies are made in the first place.

I doubt it has much of a chance at all at an Academy Award, though a nomination isn't out of the question. Off the top of my head Coraline, Up, the Ice Age sequel, and Monsters vs. Aliens were all released this year, with Coraline and Up probably having the best chance at the award.

Tim Burton's 9 will be released in September as well, though I haven't heard whether it's any good.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
DClark wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I doubt it has much of a chance at all at an Academy Award, though a nomination isn't out of the question. Off the top of my head Coraline, Up, the Ice Age sequel, and Monsters vs. Aliens were all released this year, with Coraline and Up probably having the best chance at the award.

Tim Burton's 9 will be released in September as well, though I haven't heard whether it's any good.

No way in heck is Ice Age 3D going for an Oscar. It would be interesting to see "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" nominated, but it's Sony Animation, meaning, no chance.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Pixar and Ghibli have never gone head-to-head before. Though I should note that this is only the second Ghibli nomination since Spirited Away, and the other, Howl's Moving Castle, was beat out by Wallace & Gromit.

What's a typical drop-off, if 32.3% is below average? District 9 got 1-(18.9/37.4) = 49.5%, I see, and The Time Traveler's Wife got 1-(10/18.6) = 46.2%. Huh, from reviews I'd have expected District 9 to get better buzz. Do #1 openers usually have high drop-offs? G.I. Joe got 1-(22.3/54.7) = 59.2%, which seems to corroborate that -- and it wasn't nearly as well-reviewed as District 9, which supports that. And Up debuted at #1 and got 35.2%, on par with Ponyo's and very low for a #1 opener.

And Tomatometer scores for the above read: Up, 98%; Ponyo, 93%; District 9, 89%; G.I. Joe: 37%; The Time Traveler's Wife, 36%.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Wait for the DVD. The thought of hearing the Jonas Brother and Miley Cyrus' cousin just makes me wanna listen to the original Japanese version even more.

They actually did an excellent job in their roles. This dub was great, you're crazy.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that Ponyo is more likely than not to get nominated, but it's almost certain to lose to Up.

This year might be the first since 2002 with five Best Animated Feature nomination berths. It depends on whether or not 16 films get submitted, but this year is pretty crowded with animated films.

I can think of 11 potential films off the top of my head.

Astro Boy
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ice Age 3
Monsters vs. Aliens
Planet 51
Ponyo
The Princess and the Frog
Up

I'm not saying all of those films deserve to be nominated, just that they'll likely be submitted for nomination.

All you need is five more obscure films nobody's heard of with no theatrical distribution whatsoever other than a couple of eligibility screenings in Los Angeles so that the distributor can submit them to the Academy, and you're at the magic number 16. And there are several of those each year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
The thought of celebrity voices in an anime film is something that might make me want to watch the Japanese when it comes on DVD.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Wait for the DVD. The thought of hearing the Jonas Brother and Miley Cyrus' cousin just makes me wanna listen to the original Japanese version even more.

They actually did an excellent job in their roles. This dub was great, you're crazy.

So if they got the star power for the film, why aren't the tweens flocking to the theaters to hear their pop idols do VA work?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Do movies ever do better the second week than the first? You'd have to have practically no buzz beforehand and a crapload after, but has it ever happened?

Yes. I don't have a graph of Departures' box office in US, but this one below is how it performed in Taiwan, starting from Feb. 27 (Fri):

The second week was better than the first, and the third week was even better than the second. Go figure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vapors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'd say that Ponyo is more likely than not to get nominated, but it's almost certain to lose to Up.

This year might be the first since 2002 with five Best Animated Feature nomination berths. It depends on whether or not 16 films get submitted, but this year is pretty crowded with animated films.

I can think of 11 potential films off the top of my head.

Astro Boy
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ice Age 3
Monsters vs. Aliens
Planet 51
Ponyo
The Princess and the Frog
Up

I'm not saying all of those films deserve to be nominated, just that they'll likely be submitted for nomination.

All you need is five more obscure films nobody's heard of with no theatrical distribution whatsoever other than a couple of eligibility screenings in Los Angeles so that the distributor can submit them to the Academy, and you're at the magic number 16. And there are several of those each year.

Couple of random questions and observations.

Do Avatar and Christmas Carol count? I forget the rule regarding photorealistic movies (Think Beowulf a few years ago).

I also believe you left out Battle for Terra which was released earlier.

Also, does the Eureka Seven showing count?

And while having the numbers helps, you also need the studios that made them to submit the paperwork to be eligible. Last year, I recall that there were enough films for five to be nominated. But a couple (the one most clearly in my head I remember was the Star Wars Clone Wars) did not, meaning only three would get nominated instead of five. If five nominations are out, then Ponyo has a decent chance. But right now at three, I see Coraline, Up and possibly Princess and the Frog and 9 being in the mix. Also, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Ice Age 3 could be there as well. Laugh at Ice Age 3 if you want, but the series has had 3 noms (1 feature and 2 shorts) and the third has made $800M worldwide, those could be things the animation group looks at when nominations roll around.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I wonder what Disney should do for product promotion/advertising and putting it in more theaters to get more people to see it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:

Couple of random questions and observations.

Do Avatar and Christmas Carol count? I forget the rule regarding photorealistic movies (Think Beowulf a few years ago).

Christmas Carol, probably, Avatar, probably not. I think the Academy draws the line at 25% live-action content.

Quote:
I also believe you left out Battle for Terra which was released earlier.

It was "off the top of my head".

Quote:
Also, does the Eureka Seven showing count?

I presume so, though I kind of doubt Bandai is going to waste time doing the paperwork.

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I wonder what Disney should do for product promotion/advertising and putting it in more theaters to get more people to see it.

It's not going to happen. Disney released this one "limited wide" right out of the gate, rather than going for a gradual roll-out, releasing it on only a couple of screens the first weekend, a couple of dozen screens the second weekend, and topping out at about two hundred screens, like they did for films like Spirited Away. (The 800+ screen count was just for the post-Oscar re-release.) So, what they were going to spend on promotion was mostly spent the first two weekends, which are really the only two weekends that count, since most theatres are only obligated to screen the film for two weeks.

The next advertising you'll see for it will be for the DVD/BluRay release in a couple of months.

EDIT:

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
So if they got the star power for the film, why aren't the tweens flocking to the theaters to hear their pop idols do VA work?

Sad to say, tweens over 6 or 7 would probably consider Ponyo too childish. The appeal of this film in the North American market is pretty much limited to very young children and adult animation fans or film buffs with the attention span to appreciate the craft of animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Just to counter Keonyn's argument that I'm always anti-Hollywood, I'm not afraid to commend companies when they get it right. And in this case, Disney did a good job on distribution and dubbing. The company's flaw was going for the, "If you like Pixar and these celebrities, you'll love Ponyo!" angle. What Disney should have done was emphasize that it was a family film instead of an adventure film. [I think WB went the opposite direction with Iron Giant, another unfortunate 2-d disappointment.] In addition, it might have helped to actually go with the original plan of screening ads in front of Ice Age 3, instead of a Cameron Diaz movie no one wanted to see. And personally, while I appreciate the Miyazaki tour in Cali, it's basically preaching to the choir. [About the only movie more people haven't seen which Lasseter name-dropped is probably Cagliostro. So I'll credit the guy for mentioning it, even though his company has nothing to do with it.] It might have been more interesting to do something cooler, like have him host some screenings of his other films in the Midwest or something.

Heero:
Quote:
Why is everyone fixating on the gross?

Good box office and good WOM=more possible new people interested in Ghibli and anime in general, which is what the industry needs right now.

g*ni: Considering boys slightly older than Sousuke are already playing GTA, while girls slightly older than Ponyo are already dressing like Britney Spears, the fact that the two love each other seems innocent by comparison. Laughing

Hon'ya: I don't care about the Disney flavors of the month either, but the kids can act in this one. The only Ghibli dub stars who annoyed me so far were Claire Danes, Billy Bob Thornton, and Dakota Fanning.

As for being eligible for an Oscar, that depends on whether or not it was screened in L.A. before the R2 dvd release. But Disney's deep pockets might be able to give them a loophole. Rolling Eyes

Vapors: Avatar doesn't count, because it's half-and-half.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Oh please GATSU, the one time you decide not to show your bias just happens to be when one of those companies is releasing an anime movie in the US. Sorry bud, but you're not fooling anyone. Anyways, this line of discussion is OT and I have no desire to derail the thread to argue the nature of your laughably extreme prejudice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've generally hated how Disney's handled Ghibli stuff in the past, but Ponyo was the real deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3