• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Body Identified as Crayon Shin-chan's Yoshito Usui

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
DranzerX13 mentions:
Quote:
He should have been accompanied with someone before hiking in that place. Going hiking in places like that is not only dangerous, but you could lose your life if your not careful.

This is true. It's can be somewhat similar for younger people going swimming in the aspect that the "buddy system" is there for a reason.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
As I said before, He knew the risks but went anyway. It's not sad at all. Why pity him? It was his decision. It's not like he was dragged up there by force. And obviously hiking alone and steep cliffs are a dangerous mix.

People know the risks when they board an airplane, get into a car, walk in inner cities at night, but they do these things anyway. It's not sad at all if they die. Why pity them? It's not like they were dragged by force into doing these things. And obviously flying in an age of terrorism, driving while there are drunk drivers out there, and walking in cities that have a crime rate are a dangerous mix.

You sound like a serial killer. Make sure you stay inside at all times like you demand of others, may make it safer for the rest of us.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
/sarcasm whoosh.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
/sarcasm whoosh.

That was barely readable as sarcasm, and a thread like this isn't the place to try to make jokes either.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
You're still being whooshed...

The only joke in this thread are the people claiming Usui deserved to die or doesn't deserve our pity because he dared to go for a simple hike (even if he presumably wasn't thinking things entirely through when he walked closer to the cliff's edge).
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
You're still being whooshed...

The only joke in this thread are the people claiming Usui deserved to die or doesn't deserve our pity because he dared to go for a simple hike (even if he presumably wasn't thinking things entirely through when he walked closer to the cliff's edge).

Mocking sarcasm is a form of comedy. Also I didn't expect anyone to make barely readable scarcasm in this thread. In another thread, ok fine you got me, but saying with a straight face people who die in car wrecks don't deserve pitty in a thread about someone being found dead is a bit tasteless, sorry. But if your petty e-jerk attitude about whoohsing people with your witless comments about innocent people dying in a thread about an innocent person dying helps your ego, go ahead.

Last edited by jsyxx on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
As I said before, He knew the risks but went anyway. It's not sad at all. Why pity him? It was his decision. It's not like he was dragged up there by force. And obviously hiking alone and steep cliffs are a dangerous mix. Plays out like it may have been suicide as well. You know this culture isn't a stranger to suicide from high places.

No doubt, we'll find out soon when they start questioning everyone in more detail.

^ You mean like this? Did you even read the quoted text in my original post?

I copied his paragraph nearly statement for statement, replacing "hiking" with other common activities which also come with risk, which people do routinely but don't often dwell on the unfortunate possibilities. I did this in order to highlight the absurdity of his claims. egoist pointed out that my original examples were more vital to typical American lifestyle than hiking, which is usually for pleasure. So replace hiking with any other form of recreational activity. Say, skiing. According to Shadowrun20XX's mentality, Natasha Richardson's death shouldn't have been sad either, no one should have felt pity for her. Skiing is a common activity, but anyone who does it knows the risk and deserves whatever they get, right? There's risk associated with everything, people can die from just about anything, it doesn't mean they should have known better. His mentality is appalling.

As a hiker, I was disgusted at his response. Millions of people the world over actually leave their houses and their message boards and venture out into nature. Yes, there's always a small risk. Do I and all other hikers deserve to die for doing it, or would we not warrant pity should something terrible happen to us? Please.

Whatever.

Last edited by Spoofer on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
This is saddening news. It disappoints me that some people are upset over the fact that the manga won't be continued [possibly]. THE MAN PASSED AWAY IN AN ACCIDENT FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. Your first priority should be to hope that his soul rests peacefully in the next life, and that he smiles down on his family, friends, and fans. Yoshito-sensei will be missed by all of his fans, especially the American ones. We've come to love Shin and his goofy attributes. For now, may he rest in peace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nynextew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I wish I hadn't read this. I feel so sad now. Usui was a great creator.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
According to Shadowrun20XX's mentality, Natasha Richardson's death shouldn't have been sad either, no one should have felt pity for her. Skiing is a common activity, but anyone who does it knows the risk and deserves whatever they get, right? There's risk associated with everything, people can die from just about anything, it doesn't mean they should have known better. His mentality is appalling.
Alright spammer. My mentality, huh? I go hiking outside of Vegas all the time. I go up to red rock, alone now and again. If I slip and fall that my own goddamn business. Usui knew what he was doing, I don't feel sorry for him like the rest. He did what he did, and I respect him for what he did outside of his safe zone.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Spoofer wrote:
According to Shadowrun20XX's mentality, Natasha Richardson's death shouldn't have been sad either, no one should have felt pity for her. Skiing is a common activity, but anyone who does it knows the risk and deserves whatever they get, right? There's risk associated with everything, people can die from just about anything, it doesn't mean they should have known better. His mentality is appalling.
Alright spammer. My mentality, huh? I go hiking outside of Vegas all the time. I go up to red rock, alone now and again. If I slip and fall that my own goddamn business. Usui knew what he was doing, I don't feel sorry for him like the rest. He did what he did, and I respect him for what he did outside of his safe zone.

QFT. At least it was something he wanted to do, not something forced or inflicted upon him. He knew he was leaving the safety path and its railing. Dude made a mistake, but he obviously loved those mountains if he was known to frequent them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Satou NHK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Spoofer wrote:

Help me understand. By that logic, if your brother, sister, or any family member went skiing or hiking or whatever, knowing full well the risks of what they were getting themselves into, slipped and fell off a cliff whether by accident or on purpose, would you not feel any sadness? Are you saying that if the circumstances were completely 100% out of their control, only then is it okay to feel sadness? If you went hiking at Red Rock again and something bad happened to you, can you honestly say that you wouldn't want your family, community, or even us praying or feeling sorriness or compassion for you? I'd feel a little sad if that happened to you. I might not be distraught like those close to you would be, but I would feel something. I know it seems fake coming from a lot of people when they say they feel sorry or say a prayer, think about it for two seconds, then move on to the next thing, but I believe that there are those, like myself, who have an honest sense of compassion and really mean what they say. And no, I'm not talking about religious people, because many of the "fake" people I've met are in-fact religious. I don't know. Maybe, because I'm getting to that point in my life where some people very close to me, such as my parents, aren't going to be around for much longer do I have a heightened sense of compassion.

I mean, I'm just wondering why you're so adamant about expressing your supposed complete apathy for what happened to the man. If there are people on the boards that want to grieve for him, if even just a little, why not just let them? I do agree that standing on the edge of the cliff taking a picture looking down wasn't the brightest of ideas, but there still could have been other circumstances out of the norm that we don't know about since he was supposedly the only one there. Just because I think it wasn't a great idea, though, doesn't mean I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
Homalef wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Spoofer wrote:

Help me understand. By that logic, if your brother, sister, or any family member went skiing or hiking or whatever, knowing full well the risks of what they were getting themselves into, slipped and fell off a cliff whether by accident or on purpose, would you not feel any sadness? Are you saying that if the circumstances were completely 100% out of their control, only then is it okay to feel sadness? If you went hiking at Red Rock again and something bad happened to you, can you honestly say that you wouldn't want your family, community, or even us praying or feeling sorriness or compassion for you? I'd feel a little sad if that happened to you. I might not be distraught like those close to you would be, but I would feel something. I know it seems fake coming from a lot of people when they say they feel sorry or say a prayer, think about it for two seconds, then move on to the next thing, but I believe that there are those, like myself, who have an honest sense of compassion and really mean what they say. And no, I'm not talking about religious people, because many of the "fake" people I've met are in-fact religious. I don't know. Maybe, because I'm getting to that point in my life where some people very close to me, such as my parents, aren't going to be around for much longer do I have a heightened sense of compassion.

I mean, I'm just wondering why you're so adamant about expressing your supposed complete apathy for what happened to the man. If there are people on the boards that want to grieve for him, if even just a little, why not just let them? I do agree that standing on the edge of the cliff taking a picture looking down wasn't the brightest of ideas, but there still could have been other circumstances out of the norm that we don't know about since he was supposedly the only one there. Just because I think it wasn't a great idea, though, doesn't mean I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy.

Well, of course it sucks. And I feel sorry for anyone's loss. And I can't speak for Shadowrun20XX, but I feel less... I'unno, SORROW for him, I guess, because he did something he enjoyed doing all the time.

So, yes, it's sad that he's gone. But I'm not even calling him dumb. And I don't think anyone here was insinuating he was. But he WAS living life to the fullest, and I'm glad he did. This is far less sad than if he was, say, hit by a drunk driver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Fair enough. What I fail to grasp however is your apparent need to throw this view in everyone's face. If you don't feel bad for him then fine. Don't. I think it's fairly safe to say though that those people who do feel bad don't really care to hear you carry on about how "It's not sad at all." Think what you want but keep it to yourself because actually saying this stuff is inappropriate and really pretty obnoxious.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Homalef wrote:
Are you saying that if the circumstances were completely 100% out of their control, only then is it okay to feel sadness?
To my blood? To my family? Laughing They stay in their safe zone. Usui didn't innocently wander 60 miles away from his house into mountainous terrain and slip and fall to his demise. He knew the area, he knew what he was doing. He made a mistake and his actions were unfortunate.

Homalef wrote:
If you went hiking at Red Rock again and something bad happened to you, can you honestly say that you wouldn't want your family, community, or even us praying or feeling sorriness or compassion for you?
Who am I to you? Just a random poster right? Save the prayers and sadness spiel for the innocent. Saying it was "sad" To me, is disrespect. It implies that he had no idea what was going on and deserved your pity.

Homalef wrote:
I'd feel a little sad if that happened to you. I might not be distraught like those close to you would be, but I would feel something. I know it seems fake coming from a lot of people when they say they feel sorry or say a prayer, think about it for two seconds, then move on to the next thing, but I believe that there are those, like myself, who have an honest sense of compassion and really mean what they say. And no, I'm not talking about religious people, because many of the "fake" people I've met are in-fact religious. I don't know. Maybe, because I'm getting to that point in my life where some people very close to me, such as my parents, aren't going to be around for much longer do I have a heightened sense of compassion.
I understand what you are saying, what I'm trying to say is, we don't know what went on in his life. To say you are "sad" is a bit extreme for someone most knew nothing about until five minutes ago.

Homalef wrote:
I mean, I'm just wondering why you're so adamant about expressing your supposed complete apathy for what happened to the man. If there are people on the boards that want to grieve for him, if even just a little, why not just let them?
There is no one here obviously more agitated at the fact that Usui passed, than I am. I am a hardcore collector. I have followed Crayon Shin chan through out the 90's. Usui is a hilarious man. I also illustrate panel comics, so I respect the guy. Other posters saying they're are "sad" strikes me as an insult because the evidence is there that he wasn't some new guy that slipped and fell.

ikillchicken wrote:
Fair enough. What I fail to grasp however is your apparent need to throw this view in everyone's face.
so if I fail to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else and actually give my honest opinion, I get questioned? I respect Usui and will remember him, not label him "sad" and move on.

MarzGurl wrote:
But he WAS living life to the fullest, and I'm glad he did. This is far less sad than if he was, say, hit by a drunk driver.
Exactly. I couldn't have said it better. Thank you, MarzGurl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6