• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Anime Festival Reports 21,388 Total Attendees

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
I cant believe its only 16% higher... I'd be really interested to see how much higher Saturday's attendance was since I only went Saturday this year and last year and it appeared alot larger to me.
KazenoKami

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
In the article, the name "New York Anime FEstival" has the E capitalized.

I also wonder how next year is going to be with the combined cons. Hopefully, it will be fine for both.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
To me, any convention with over 1000 attendees is big. However, over 20,000 makes it really good.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
KazenoKami wrote:
In the article, the name "New York Anime FEstival" has the E capitalized.

nit-pick much?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Must've been the high attendance of girls that were clogging up the bathrooms. Razz

I'm actually surprised. But then my experience was with the panels. Which were pretty weak. With the exception of some that had a good amount of info. Again, of what I had to view the news wasn't anything I hadn't heard here (on ANN) already. But it was good.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I know I'll regret this, but I simply do not believe those numbers.

Now, talking "turnstile", that is more reasonable, and since there's a trade show here, it's pretty certain that's the number they're using. Saturday was as busy as any con I've been to. Friday and Sunday....not so much, and there were compressed hours as well on both those days. Being generous, we could look at Saturday's numbers and then estimate about 2/3 full for Fri and Sun.

I've just checked, and their entire footprint is about 150k sqft (which is about what I'd estimated). That is a fair amount less than Otakon's Dealer Hall + Art Hall (which total about 180k).

The two halls they used (1a and 1b) had a combined listed occupancy of about 6,000. Assuming fully packed halls, you'd max out at about 18k people (paid or not) and that's only with all three days at full capacity.

To get the numbers they claim, they'd have had to be running at more than max capacity each day. Either that or there are a LOT more people attending very briefly (and then leaving, to be replaced by other short-term visitors) than I'd be inclined to credit.

So yes, I'd be interested in an explanation of how those numbers break down.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
... and that's how you turn a boring number into an interesting number.
Now I'm curious as well.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
To get the numbers they claim, they'd have had to be running at more than max capacity each day. Either that or there are a LOT more people attending very briefly (and then leaving, to be replaced by other short-term visitors) than I'd be inclined to credit.

It may be turnstile, I have no idea, (not with NYAF) but I could believe they had a burst of "one shot" people with AKB48 and some other similar programming that drew people and then those people moved on.
Duamerthrax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
I know I'll regret this, but I simply do not believe those numbers.

Now, talking "turnstile", that is more reasonable, and since there's a trade show here, it's pretty certain that's the number they're using. Saturday was as busy as any con I've been to. Friday and Sunday....not so much, and there were compressed hours as well on both those days. Being generous, we could look at Saturday's numbers and then estimate about 2/3 full for Fri and Sun.

I've just checked, and their entire footprint is about 150k sqft (which is about what I'd estimated). That is a fair amount less than Otakon's Dealer Hall + Art Hall (which total about 180k).

The two halls they used (1a and 1b) had a combined listed occupancy of about 6,000. Assuming fully packed halls, you'd max out at about 18k people (paid or not) and that's only with all three days at full capacity.

So yes, I'd be interested in an explanation of how those numbers break down.

I'm with you, just comparing the scale of this con to others I've been to I can't believe those numbers.

What could also have happened is some people who registered for the whole weekend and only went to two days are being counted as three people instead of two.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
21.388 is a good attendance figure. However, it pales in comparison with Anime Expo and some other cons.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
They really had too many people for the space allotted. At Saturday peak, it was hard to make my way through the dealer's area without stepping on people. The two screening rooms packed to capacity on occasion. The main auditorium plus an overflow room were both completely full for the cosplay contest.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if they count one person 3 days. But they do state. They count everyone who's not staff. Which means even the guests,industry, and merchants count.

It might be more of a marketing term to get more companies to come in to sponsor the events. Just like they are saying they are "taking over the "whole" Javits center" for NYCC/NYAF next year. Honestly I don't think they have the cash nor does the non-hollywood entertainment industry. I mean even in the dot.com hey-days it took a lot of tech cash to rent the whole javits out.

They might be the only event for that day. But still. Marketing terms.

And just like last year.. they had no cash to pay for padding and carpet for the floor. On Friday I went in seeing the Fashion industry show being broken down. They even padded and carpeted the common areas that weren't part of the regular exhibition hall.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Who cares if it's a marketing tool? Don't we want to see our beloved industry grow? If anything, this is a sign of growth-which is good news, yes?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
This is the problem with conventions: People in areas that will go past the expected occupancy.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
actually if you listened to ann cast you would know that NYAF was previously booked there for those days when NYCC couldnt get a workable date they decided to take the remaining area of the Javits Center that weekend for themselves as well. It was never intended to work that way it just happened.

Good point about the AKB48 thing I'm sure there are non anime fans who bought tickets just to see them.

I'm not saying that the numbers where great but they were better than last year. Isnt NYAF only like 4 years old anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2