• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster (TV) [Dub Broadcast].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
I thought that was the point of spoiler tags. You know, you skip them. Do you not read threads unless you can read every post? Anyway, so sorry to inconvenience you. I know it's really difficult to skip over the black tags, must be a huge hassle.

Just so you know, it's impossible to discuss this show without talking about the major overarching moral themes...and for those of us who have seen it that can be spoilery. But if spoiler tags are all it takes to defer you from a topic then I'm sure we're not missing much.

I'm rather taken aback by your hostile and disparaging response.

You're either missing, or ignoring my point.

If an entire post is spoiler tagged, how is someone supposed to know whether the latest airing is being spoiled, or if some future event is?There have been several instances where up to approx. 4 posts in a row were completely spoilered. How is someone like me supposed to join that discussion?

At least arachneia was nice enough to acknowledge my position in a friendly manner.

EDIT: Removed unnecessary part.

Last edited by daedelus on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrycombs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
So was anyone else annoyed that in episode 34 they spoiler[ cut out the gunshot when the Red Hindenburg got killed] in the Syfy broadcast? I don't understand why they would do that, they only need to let the scene continue for another few seconds. I was also annoyed that they cut out the entire segment where Johan finds where the Red Hindenburg is, but I guess they need that extra commercial time Confused

Oh well, at least its being released in the US.
arachneia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I've made my peace with SyFy's edits. I don't particularly like the dub nor their transliteration choices, so by now I'm fine with whatever else they want to cut.

Daedalus, our blacked out comments don't really impede your making a comment or starting a discussion of your own.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
great episodes. Tenma actually may have spoiler[killed Roerto] Also Johan may have been responsible spoiler[for Carl's mother's death.] I like the way we learn more about Johan as we go.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the show has been really great so far. I couldn't help but notice a misstep though.

In the latest episode, #38 The Demon in my Eyes, everything was going great until the part when spoiler[Tenma, Johan, Nina, and Shuvalt are just standing(sitting) around in a burning building with no apparent respiratory distress and in no real hurry to leave.]

I'm usually more forgiving when it comes to fiction, but for some reason that part really took me out of the story. Otherwise, I am just in awe at how elaborate the story has become.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Yeah, the show has been really great so far. I couldn't help but notice a misstep though.

In the latest episode, #38 The Demon in my Eyes, everything was going great until the part when spoiler[Tenma, Johan, Nina, and Shuvalt are just standing(sitting) around in a burning building with no apparent respiratory distress and in no real hurry to leave.]

I'm usually more forgiving when it comes to fiction, but for some reason that part really took me out of the story. Otherwise, I am just in awe at how elaborate the story has become.

Well Johan is badass. Tenma and Nina were more worried about killing him and, I don't know that Shuvalt even cared if he died.
Harrycombs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

I agree that this part did take too long and felt a little awkward, but I felt that overall the episodes about the book donation were successfully dramatic and suspenseful.

spoiler[We get to see Grimmer next week!Very Happy ]
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
Harrycombs wrote:
daedelus wrote:

I agree that this part did take too long and felt a little awkward, but I felt that overall the episodes about the book donation were successfully dramatic and suspenseful.

Very true. I did like the nice little cliffhanger at the end too.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
2 new episodes today
11 PM: The Hell In His Eyes
11:30 PM: Grimmer
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
The Schubert/Schuwald change was idiotic - it was still visible as "Schubert" from the side angle. I don't know how hard it is to watch the anime and then sub it afterwards, but whatever.

I guess they changed it to be in line with the manga and missed a spot. I wasn't too surprised by the change, since they altered the brand labels on the whiskey bottles in Execution, and fixed the coloring in the jail scene in episode 31. I've been wondering if they'll redub the name in the Japanese soundtrack to make it Schuwald in all languages and media. After going to the trouble of replacing most of the music, that'd be a piece of cake. Confused

On a completely different subject, what the hell is the current year in Monster? The Thursday Boy prophesy refers to 1996, but Braun's grave marker said 1997, and there are several other references to 5 years since a number of events in 1992. Also, Johann chose a child who was born in 1976, which suggests his and Nina's 20th birthday would be sometime in 1997. Then again, Lotte's tickets to the dance said 1996 too.

So what year is it? I think I'm starting to lean toward 1996, since that still could be counted as 5 years between '92 and '96, inclusive. But that makes the dub changing the year of Margot's death from '95 to '96 even more odd. If Lotte's dance tickets are to be believed, it's only June now. Margot would still be alive if she dies on November 2, 1996...
Harrycombs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching the latest episodes, and I was a bit disappointed with Grimmer's actor. As one of my favorite characters in the show, I was hoping the guys performance would be closer to Hideyuki Tanaka's performance, who was phenomenal in my opinion.
Jess S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On a completely different subject, what the hell is the current year in Monster?

I think the current year is supposed to be 1997. In the manga Lotte's dance tickets don't seem to have the date on them, and I recall the date given for the library fire as September 1997, but I'll have to double-check. Nina and Johan's 20th birthday is definitely in 1995, though, because that's when he was going to pick her up way back in episode six.

Quote:
I finally got around to watching the latest episodes, and I was a bit disappointed with Grimmer's actor. As one of my favorite characters in the show, I was hoping the guys performance would be closer to Hideyuki Tanaka's performance, who was phenomenal in my opinion

I didn't dislike Grimmer's dub voice, but it was definitely jarring at first. The dub voice I'm most disappointed in is Nina's; she's my second favourite character, but I can hardly stand to listen to her in the dub.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
If it's 1997, what was all that stuff about the prophesy then? There's no question that that refers to 1996, and if the year was 1997, it's a prophesy already proven false by the passage of time.

Did the manga have a picture of Braun's grave marker with dates?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Two new episodes tonight. We're well past the half way point now.
Harrycombs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If it's 1997, what was all that stuff about the prophesy then? There's no question that that refers to 1996, and if the year was 1997, it's a prophesy already proven false by the passage of time.

Did the manga have a picture of Braun's grave marker with dates?

Richard's grave says 1997 in the manga.

I thought that the prophecy also referred to 1997, but I guess it doesn't really matter. If it did refer to 1996, a year off isn't too bad as far as predicting the future goes Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11