• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster (TV) [Dub Broadcast].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
"The penultimate intercalary year" is the next to last leap year of the century (2000 is still part of the 20th c), and that's 1996.

But my point was, if a year had passed since the prophesy with no "books engulfed in flames" they wouldn't have been discussing whether to publish it or not.

I'm thinking the grave marker was a continuity error and the Munich arc is in 1996. If it was early September of 1995 when we first met Nina (St. Adrian's feast day is Sept. 8, and I assume that's why they're having a costume parade), and Lotte's tickets are for a dance in June of '96, that seems about the right passage of time (and changes in the scenery). It also fits with the 2 Nov 95 date on the crime scene photos of Margot Langer's murder (despite what the dub said).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
Quick question:

What is the general timeframe for Monster? Disregarding the flashbacks, story-wise, from what years does the series start when Tenma treats Johan and when does it end?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
1986 to 1996.
Jess S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quick question:

What is the general timeframe for Monster? Disregarding the flashbacks, story-wise, from what years does the series start when Tenma treats Johan and when does it end?

It begins in 1986. spoiler[According to the date on Grimmer's headstone in the second-last chapter of the manga/the last episode, the final showdown with Johan happens in 1998], but there's no definite date for when the story ends.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
I can't believe that collection 2 hasn't even been announced yet. What's going on here? Planning on releasing it over a span of 5 years? Sheesh...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This is a little off topic, but I was just updating my DVR schedule and found a very pleasant surprise; Macross Plus is going to start airing tonight on Sy Fy after Monster. I saw the first episode on Netflix instant streaming a few months ago and was very impressed. However, Netflix only offered two of the four episodes streaming and it was unavailable to rent, so I decided to wait until I could find the OAV in its entirety. Well now I get my chance, I have heard wonderful things about this OAV, so I would suggest to anyone watching Monster tonight to stay up a little later to also watch Macross Plus.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Tonight we see what's next for Suk and Grimmer. Also what's going on with Johan cross dressing? Find out
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
I can't believe that collection 2 hasn't even been announced yet. What's going on here? Planning on releasing it over a span of 5 years? Sheesh...

Have you seen how far they are from the bleach broadcast and the dvd release? Viz likes to be far away from tv broadcast.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
This is a little off topic, but I was just updating my DVR schedule and found a very pleasant surprise; Macross Plus is going to start airing tonight on Sy Fy after Monster. I saw the first episode on Netflix instant streaming a few months ago and was very impressed. However, Netflix only offered two of the four episodes streaming and it was unavailable to rent, so I decided to wait until I could find the OAV in its entirety. Well now I get my chance, I have heard wonderful things about this OAV, so I would suggest to anyone watching Monster tonight to stay up a little later to also watch Macross Plus.

If you haven't seen it you should watch it. On the other hand this will be probabally the 4th or 5th time that Sci-Fi has aired it and before that it was played to death on the Encore Action channel so it's not all that newsworthy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't understand why this thread died just as things are heating up in the series. :(

I liked how all the names young Johann identified himself with on the tape were from the Monster Without a Name book.

I also can't believe that Sci-Fi cut out The Magnificent Steiner cartoon. :(

Anyone have a guess as to why Johann set Suk up with the poison candy and then killed the only people who knew about it before they could tell anyone?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Too right, so Abracadabra! There, Necromanced.

I'm getting kind of nervous about the fact that we still don't have a date for boxset 2. I really want this series. Is VIZ going to drag this thing out for years like they did with Inu Yasha, or did sales figures for the first one just suck. It's not like they don't have enough of the dub to work with. Sad

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrycombs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought the last two episodes were great. The show really starts to pick up the pace here.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
The reveal at the end of the most recent episode was quite shocking.I literally gasped. Although they didn't show it, it pretty much implied that spoiler[Johann was the one who shot himself in the head as a kid]. It changes a lot. I never thought about that possibility, but then again, I never thought much about who shot him. I kind of assumed it was Nina.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
More great episodes, still totally loving this show. Even just the smoothness of how they work everything in continues to be fantastic. Also, the unexpected shift a while back in Lunge's storyline was a nice surprise as he's been doing a lot of the digging recently.

I'm also looking forwards to when they finally release that second box set.
Harrycombs

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the last episodes. The way things are starting to be brought together is great. I am quite looking forward to watching the next few episodes, I'm interested in how they will do spoiler[Bonaparta]'s voice. I can't believe there is so little discussion now. Perhaps it will pick up once the show ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11