• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Henry Goto, President, Aniplex of America

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Er, none of the Princess Tutu volumes that I got had OSTs with them. And yes, to be completely clear, I am including the classical music when I talk about PT having a superior soundtrack. As good as PMMM's score is, it doesn't become the story like the soundtrack for PT does. Whether or not it's a better listen independently is another story, but as a functional part of the overall production and viewing experience it is better than anything else I've ever seen.

dtm42: The one problem I see with your approach on pricing is that what's "ten times better" than something else or not is highly, highly subjective. Besides, if the goal is to get more people watching good anime, then aren't those the series that you would most want to have cheaper?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

We're they? I bought the singles of Princess Tutu &
didn't get any OST's, maybe this was only true for the Japanese release.

He obviously meant the Japanese release, of course they weren't included with ADV's singles.

He said like the Madoka releases. The special editions of the US release of Madoka came with the OSTs just like the Japanese release. The way it was worded was not obvious.

I should have specified the nationality of the releases... After having watched the fansubs, I imported both series as they were released in Japan, and then also purchased the US releases. Three of the six Princess Tutu R2 DVDs came with soundtrack CDs. The first one had tv-size versions of the OP and ED, and the third one had the full-length ED. In an alternating pattern, three of the Madoka BDs in Japan came with the same short OSTs that were included in the US LE release, and three of them came with drama CDs.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sure, as great as Kajiura is ... she can't quite rival Tchaikovsky just yet ^^ And imho Madoka's OST is also far from her best work. Personally, apart from a few tracks, it didn't really impress me all that much (which is maybe because Aniplex doesn't seem to give Kajiura as much freedom as Mashimo, so the tracks are much shorter and less complex).

Given all the classical tracks, I wouldn't really credit Tutu that much for the OST itself (like Nodame has an awesome soundtrack, but the credit mostly goes to all those genius composer whose work they use), but yea, the way they used it in the series was pretty great. I guess the main difference is that In Tutu the music is really part of the story. In Madoka not all that much.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of limited editions. I don't care about postcards, posters, booklets, or whatever; I sit firmly in the CharredKnight camp of buying things for future reference. So, I was ecstatic I could buy PMMM minus the creepy extras. It was still pretty expensive, but it's special in a way I don't think anything else in their lineup is. Suffice it to say, this is exactly the kind of show I'd want on my shelf, and being able to forgo the gaudy limited edition BDs was a huge plus that really sealed the deal.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
I've heard of the postcards and booklets being described as unnecessary and a waste of money. I even sympathise with that sentiment even if I don't agree with it. But "creepy" is a new one.

Really, dewlwieldthedarpachief? You think a postcard is "creepy"?
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
wow, so this is thread is still going on ... Shocked

I buy the expensive Aniplex stuff, though I also like the Star Driver release (yes, I know it's technically Bandai, but it was also promoted and sold through AoA's site): cheap, bare bones, sub-only blu-ray. I'm not a fujoshi, so it's perfect for me Very Happy

However I don't get personally excited over the goodies, nor do I think they are really worth the Japanese prices, though I still buy the releases. I think NISA has the perfect premium:price ratio where the goodies and packaging are quite worth the value.

If the premium, JP-priced Aniplex sets included a fine, limited edition figure; .. or a physical representation of something in the show like detailed art crafts, metal works like a silver sculpted amulet (gold would be good too Wink ), ...instead of cards, booklets, posters, drama cds etc... now that would be something else.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've heard of the postcards and booklets being described as unnecessary and a waste of money. I even sympathise with that sentiment even if I don't agree with it. But "creepy" is a new one.

Really, dewlwieldthedarpachief? You think a postcard is "creepy"?

Yeah, when I was considering the LE I took a look at the extras and kind of squirmed; some of that stuff had a voyeuristic feel to it, intentional or not. Having pictures around of little girls that I am not related to is just not my jam.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmmm, interesting to hear that the PMMM LEs made up 60 per cent of that title's sales with the BD sets and DVD sets accounting for 20 per cent each. I wouldn't have guessed that. It is the only title, so far, that AoA has used that simultaneous triple format release strategy for and seems to suggest that even when given the option of less expensive options, AoA's customers will go with the option that offers the most extras even though the price is substantially higher.

Hmm...I think it was also a little different since it was spread out.

It also had a dub which added to the value in my opinion. So I know I was more interested in at least getting some version of it since it was nice they finally gave another show both tracks.

Bakemono's a little better since it's 150 which is still way too high but easier to swallow than those ridiculous half season sets of Fate/Zero, despite around the similar ep count, which I'd love to own but no way I can justify 800+ for a 26 episode series plus all the other anime I'd like to buy.

configspace wrote:
However I don't get personally excited over the goodies, nor do I think they are really worth the Japanese prices, though I still buy the releases. I think NISA has the perfect premium:price ratio where the goodies and packaging are quite worth the value.

Yeah, NISA, I'm so close to really liking their anime releases like I do their game releases. Their packaging is great (and the actual English books) so I would love their releases if they would just someday please add some dubs and give us dual audio, like they do for their games, at least for the bigger shows that can obviously support them like Occult Academy or Persona, both of which I felt could easily support them, I wouldn't mind if they kept their niche stuff sub-only.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
what's "ten times better" than something else or not is highly, highly subjective. Besides, if the goal is to get more people watching good anime, then aren't those the series that you would most want to have cheaper?
That is true, but sadly that is not how pricing seems to work. I can watch a lot of stuff as free streaming, but the good stuff is all DVD only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 28 of 28