• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Japanese & Legalese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
The main reason people I know still pirate is because of companies like Sentai and (ESPECIALLY) Aniplex of America, that charge insane amounts of money for 13 episodes. 1000 dollars (MSRP) for Fate/Zero's entirity is just nonsense. The other reason is of course things are not licensed, or simply taking YEARS to get released locally. Locked subtitles is a fairly new but stupid thing to also occur that I've seen some people say they pirate for.

For Crunchyroll anime, I can't watch them there. I have to wait for a real license and Bluray release (or alternative website stream, like TAN), because their upscales for some reason don't look very good to me. And also their player has a lot of weird issues on all 3 of my browsers, even after all these years.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The main reason people I know still pirate is because of companies like Sentai and (ESPECIALLY) Aniplex of America, that charge insane amounts of money for 13 episodes.
Uh, since when did Sentai have unreasonable prices?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The main reason people I know still pirate is because of companies like Sentai and (ESPECIALLY) Aniplex of America, that charge insane amounts of money for 13 episodes.

You see, entitlement issues like this is why the Japanese industry doesn't take the West seriously. If you're complaining about paying 50 dollars for a 13 episode series, then you aren't a potential customer they would care about in the least. You're still getting it for nearly 1/10th the price of the original Japanese release.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
1000 dollars (MSRP) for Fate/Zero's entirity is just nonsense.

Not this again.

People who buy those boxsets are paying for practically a same-day release of the Japanese version, slightly-modified for English speakers. You're paying the same price as the Japanese to have the same product as the Japanese at the same time as the Japanese. Do you understand that? Can you wrap your head around this simple concept?

And who cares if the MSRP price is $1,000? No-one's going to be paying that. Both boxsets can together be bought from RightStuf for $700 (if you live in the States), so only mentioning the MSRP price is misleading.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
The most famous example of exoticism in anime is probably Afro Samurai, which borrows influences of style from western media but remains at heart a chamboro, a Japanese product not a fusionof content... and thats how it should be. Like Clements said, "If I wanted Caucasian I could get that at home". The Roland Kelts book touches on westerners asking Japanese studios to make anime with more westernised themes to appeal to Americans... which is when I'll stop watching.

Which reminds me: I discovered recently, while skimming the (non-anime) animation section at the video store, that Marvel has done some anime total conversions recently. Not just animation for hire, but actually giving a plot outline to a Japanese studio and telling them to do their own thing (as explained in the extras). I bought the Blade one (not a big superhero fan) and thought it was okay. Madhouse didn't get Blade's look quite right, but it was definitely a "proper" anime (set in Japan and SE Asia). The Japanese and US dubs had notable differences.

So I'd say that's an instance of a pretty interesting Japanese/Western crossover.

Last edited by eyeresist on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Because $50 MSRP for a bare-bones sub only DVD release is too expensive.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

I would have killed for prices that cheap back in the mid noughties, even if it is in $US.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

If you say so. Rolling Eyes
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I particularly don't have a problem with Sentai's pricing schemes. I find it perfectly reasonable to be honest. But, the poster you originally questioned does.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
superdry wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I particularly don't have a problem with Sentai's pricing schemes. I find it perfectly reasonable to be honest. But, the poster you originally questioned does.
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I withdraw my eye roll.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I withdraw my eye roll.

No worries, I should have been a little more clear in my original post.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Also, Answerman was wrong on another thing.

First of all, VA STILL have to go down to the recording studio to record their lines. Todd lives in LA, has his own recording studio (the man does audio books), he can't just record from home, he visits TX every Monday to do with for Funimation.

Only reason why Yuri Low, Freeman, Steven Blum, Todd, ect have their own recording studios isn't for low work like anime, it's for audio books, commercials, and whatever work comes their way. And both Vic and Todd have said in commentaries that ALL recording for Funimation are done in the studio, there is no way around it (expect the rare time where Vic did the Tsubasa OVAs from home, but he knew the Fai role well enough to do it at home)
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
It's not that we can't write stories like the Japanese, it's just that there's still that mentality that comics/ animation are "just for kids". People also believe that's always been the case but that's not true. Way back in the day, comics and animation in the West were on par with other forms of storytelling but, gradually over time, due to censorship, they were dismissed as "kid's stuff". So, at least until recently, American comics and animation have become stunted whereas, Japan has never had the extreme censorship issues that we have had in the past.

Plus, parental fears about children's exposure to entertainment seems to have increased over the years. For instance, some of the older Disney films have been deemed too scary for kids today. And when some of the old Sesame Street episodes were released on dvd, they came with a warning that some parts may not be appropriate for children! So I think a large part of the problem is the lingering "animation ghetto", not the inability to write good stories. Though considering the state of today's American entertainment scene, I sometimes wonder.

Anyway, "shonen jump" type stories are not really that unique to Japan. It's just that America is way more skittish nowadays when it comes to children's entertainment but that has not always been the case. Take a look back at some older children's literature and you'll see what I mean.

That seems like a long-about way to say only Japan can make these cartoons Smile

Chagen46 wrote:
How do weeaboos get through life? I must honestly ask this, as devoting your entire existence to worshipping Japan must be quite a strain.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means Laughing
rojse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
How do weeaboos get through life? I must honestly ask this, as devoting your entire existence to worshipping Japan must be quite a strain.

lostrune wrote:

Not that I can watch you-tube videos (my internet connection is terrible) but here's the "know your meme" page on the word weeaboo, which explains the origin of the word and how it came to be used in regards to the most enthusiastic of anime fans:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/weeaboo

In regards to the expense, or otherwise, of purchasing or viewing of anime, anime is not an essential item, nor a right, it is a luxury. The fact that people cannot (or feel that they cannot) afford it is regrettable, but does not entitle them to pirate anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
The temperature has reached critical levels of coldness. Oh boy - I get to experience my first East Coast winter!!! I can't wait to step outside for five minutes and not be able to feel my fingers, toes, and other unmentionable extremities!
I can hear your Governor ( and not your State one either) laughing across the North Atlantic mate. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5