• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dance in the Vampire Bund (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
What the crap. Why can't I understand what I just sawspoiler[? I get the bullets that Wu Ming put up, but for some reason, I'm not getting the whole fight to the "we're immortal so we can't die" death scene that went on. Originally, Akira was joining the anti-vampire team because he wanted to confirm his beliefs about Mina. So I get that much, but the transition to this episodes seems....broken/incomplete/rushed.] Idk, maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle? Someone help! Anime hyper

Either way, I can see why there is a recap episode incoming for next week. Hopefully it will be told from the eyes of someone other than Mina or Akira. I don't mind recap episodes if they add something substantial to the retelling. Unlike Kimi no Todoke's recent one where it was just a horrible reshowing of some scenes.

It will be interesting to see what the last 4 episodes hold. Not much to put a plot together. Then again, I feel like they just jumped a lot of material in e7. Wonder how the manga handled all of this...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Is that the "special edition" of episode 01 refered to in the recent news article? If so it's not technically a recap, but it's all the same I guess if it's just going to be material we've already seen.

Yeah, I'm the same. I can't seem to connect the dots in this episode. That whole complicated mess needs to be explained a bit more so we know who exactly was responsible for what and how much was approved by the queen. It's good that spoiler[Akira got through to Mina though, I don't think he should have let her off so easily. Looks like he's been formally appointed as her knight too.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
So, here's my take on some of the things that happened last episode.

First, it is important to keep in mind where things were at the beginning: Akira's trust in Mina had been seriously damaged. When he tried to get Mina to explain herself, she chose not to try to do so. Yuki was also trying to weaken Akira's trust in Mina, and so was Candy Sniper Girl. In fact, it seems pretty much everyone in that episode was trying to drive a stake (pun intended) into Akira's trust for Mina... aided by the fact that he didn't have all his memories back yet.

This led to Akira agreeing to help the students oppose Mina at the school. However, I don't think Akira had made any decisions about his relationship with her in a larger sense... that was waiting on him figuring out what was going on to his satisifaction: he was wise enough to realize that none of the people he was talking to were disinterested observers and so their words were not necessarily true.

So, in this episode, he meets the marquis guy and then his dad. Both of them tell him things in such a way that Akira is left with no choice but to believe they are actively attempting to deceive him, or they're telling him the truth. It seems, based on his reactions to what they said, that he mostly trusts their words (at least those of his father), and so his position in the bigger picture was shown to be in support of the Vampire Queen.

This, however, did not resolve his *personal* issues with Mina as a person. In particular, he was no longer sure he could trust her on that level. This greatly hurt Mina, and led to them fighting one another as a way to demonstrate physically what they really felt for one another. This is the first time we see Mina power up. She does this to show him how much she cares about the situation. He does the same for the same reason, revealing his true nature to Yuki.

So they fight and destroy a lot of stuff. But they're talking and acting at the same time. When Mina tells Akira that his promise to her was the only thing that really mattered to her, while in her true form (which reflects a Vampire's inner nature), I think Akira finally believes her: that she is not just using the promise to manipulate him, but that the promise means something important to her in a deeply personal way.

So Akira takes a wooden stake through the chest that would have killed Mina, showing her that he also cares deeply about her and hasn't forsaken their promise. He shows her in words and in deed. This healed the rift between them and restored his trust in her as a person. Thus, Mina was able to formally make him a "warrior" and personal defender.

Yeah... long-winded, I know. But that's more or less how I interpreted the events of the last episode.
Niomo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
So, here's my take on some of the things that happened last episode.
.........SNIP..........
Yeah... long-winded, I know. But that's more or less how I interpreted the events of the last episode.

See, I got all of that too, but I still feel like I am missing something or something got left out. Maybe I did understand it all. It just felt rushed I suppose.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
I agree -- it felt rushed. I guess with only 12 episodes, and apparently one of them is going to be a re-cap (why?), they tried to stick a lot of stuff into one episode and set things up for a final arc.

Definitely a case of bad pacing, IMO... or just not having enough episodes to tell the story they want to tell. I still really like the series, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
I still like the series, too, but yeah the structure seems a bit off and there are definitely confusing elements. It they are only doing 12 eppies, the last one would have seemed liked a logical climax, as well as a springboard for future season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
I watched the episode twice already, I agree it is kind of paced oddly. I might also complain that a lot of parts were just done by noise and paning to some picture or even worse, Bakemono's 'red screen'. Though saying that, this episode made me think that an english release may be difficult because of certain wardrobe (or bed spread) selections.

I keep thinking that maybe we will get the awesome next episode, though I guess this may have been it, though there was still some rather low amount of animation.

Also when Mina was yelling, it sounded very famiar to me and realised or remembered tjat Mina's seiyu also did Murasaki in Kure-nai.
Niomo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that it wasn't only me who felt like things were out of place and rushed. Has anyone read the manga? I'd be really interested to know how they showed this episode in it. I feel like it would be more drawn out and explained than what we got :\
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I felt just as confused by this episode. They really just threw so much unexplained events in there and combined it with horrible pacing. It was overly dramatic.

Akira didn't know that the Mina was going to give the vaccine to that baby until after he saved her. I totally didn't get the fight scene either. Ugh, it feels like they are setting this series up to become longer when it ends in 5 episodes.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I totally didn't get the fight scene either.

spoiler[Due to the destruction their fight caused, the church fell apart and the cross conveniently dropped in a way that it'd kill Nina had the werewolf not stopped it.]
The pacing was this awful since the beginning, so I don't see the need to start paying attention to it. But that's just me.
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

spoiler[New arc begins and continues the sad tale of the former student council president, along with Yuki and Mina becoming friends. It also added some new characters, both good and bad. Let the battle begin.]

^ I'm bad with summaries, sue me Razz

Well, I thought this was supposed to be a recap episode...but apparently not. yay!

This episode was probably my favorite of the series. It just felt...different from the previous 7. There was really nothing that I can say was bad, as I enjoyed the entire 24 minute escapade into this new arc.

For whatever reason, spoiler[I always enjoy seeing reinforcements come in at the last second to save the day, so Mina's elite wolf command swordsmen made my day. They are pretty badass. I approve. ]

I do hesitate to assume that spoiler[Yuki and Mina are buddy-buddy like they said to each other. I feel like Mina is just playing her. Will be interesting to see where that goes....]

And of course,spoiler[ sucker vampire is still mucking around. I really wonder why Akira hasn't told Mina about her... Also, have we seen that necklace before? I can't place it :\]
Wu Ming

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, gotta to hand it to this show for being creative.

Vampire Suicide Bombers. What will they think of next? Wink

Niomo wrote:

This episode was probably my favorite of the series. It just felt...different from the previous 7. There was really nothing that I can say was bad, as I enjoyed the entire 24 minute escapade into this new arc.

That's because were out of the awkward "getting to know you" phase and were actually getting down to business.

Like for instance, Hysterica's comment about Mina being a "fake queen." All the opposition in the show has essentially come from, well, other vampires. Makes one wonder doesn't it - why is Mina Queen of the Vampires? She portrays herself to the human media as if she has absolute control over her kind - but we keep seeing evidence to the contrary.

We've also seen a stabilization of the "core" of the cast of characters. Mina and Akira are finally getting a "crew" to hang out with (no i don't mean the wolf knights Razz ). Vera is becoming more and more prominent and Yuki is essentially the show's "token" human. She'll be Mina and Akira's moral guide post.

I'll put money down that the school president will get rescued after some utterly noble/stupid heroics on Akira and Mina's part and will end up in "the crew."
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
-See that people! Kugimiya can do more than loli tsundere's (even though I'm okay with those). I bet you didn't even realize Histerica was Kugimiya did ya?

-Wow, what a deep kiss. You don't usually get that deep in anime.

-Sometimes the animation got really good but completely different from what the regular animation looked like. In fact, it looked like they were using the new ED animation for some of it (I love the the new ED by the way since it actually looks like, you know, effort was put into it)
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

-Wow, what a deep kiss. You don't usually get that deep in anime.

-Sometimes the animation got really good but completely different from what the regular animation looked like. In fact, it looked like they were using the new ED animation for some of it (I love the the new ED by the way since it actually looks like, you know, effort was put into it)

Deep kiss of a 12 year old. lol. Probably one of those things FUNi wants to censor :O

As for the art, yeah, definitely. I swear, its like SHAFT outsourced episodes 1-7 to some other country and then went "Oh crap, we need to actually do work now!" and created 8, and made it awesome.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:

I do hesitate to assume that spoiler[Yuki and Mina are buddy-buddy like they said to each other. I feel like Mina is just playing her. Will be interesting to see where that goes....]

spoiler[I think they did that to get the love triangle awkwardness out of the way and focus more on the plot with Telomere.]

Quote:
-See that people! Kugimiya can do more than loli tsundere's (even though I'm okay with those). I bet you didn't even realize Histerica was Kugimiya did ya?

Her voice is kind of unique so she generally stands out regardless of the age of the character she is playing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12