• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina on Facebook and twitter.com?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuGoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Will Anime News Nina join Facebook.com and twitter.com? Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Strictly only if Robin provides permission for her work to be posted on said sites.

However, she may not want her works those sites, so it rightfully all depends on her decision.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
What exactly are you looking for from a Nina Twitter feed? Updates about the comic, a fictional feed from Nina, ... ?

Likewise for Facebook. What would you like to see?

I can talk it over with Robin and see what she might be up for.

-t
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Wait, so what is the point of the paid feature request forum? Several of the requests on there never get any serious response or take months or even years before they're acted upon. When they do get action everyone gets the same benefit, paid or not. Yet over here in the freebie feedback area random and vague requests get your quick attention?

Maybe we need to post random zero-context requests in bold text with a smiley face to make you jump into action? Rolling Eyes

You want feedback in this forum? Here goes: Maybe you should take care of your paid users first and ignore the random one-liners from people too lazy to even explain what they want or why they want it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
When they do get action everyone gets the same benefit, paid or not.

I'm sort of surprised by your reaction to this, especially when you created this thread to allow the Community to be read only.

While the intent of the poll is slightly different, wouldn't this also be giving the stuff away for free? With the number of subscribers currently active, the Community arena isn't utilized frequently.

I have to admit, I thought about this a while ago as well (aka: what does the $20/yr cover) and concluded nothing, really. It's just a donation button with different text to me. If the Community forum was removed, it still wouldn't affect my "subscription".

In addition, if one really looks at the "requests" of the Community thread, there's really not much being requested.

So wouldn't the better question be "What features could be offered to enhance subscriptions?"

Just a thought. Nothing against your point of view. I was just thrown by it.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
daxomni wrote:
When they do get action everyone gets the same benefit, paid or not.

I'm sort of surprised by your reaction to this, especially when you created this thread to allow the Community to be read only.

In my original suggestion from 2008 the unpaid members would merely be able to silently window-shop in order to see what's on offer. That's a benefit to them and potentially a benefit to us without really giving anything away. It's a simple and easily executed option I've seen used by other sites to help build up the community in the early going. I mentioned it again last year as the community area began to wind down after a handful of previously active posters had moved on. It's no different than allowing unregistered guest users to see posts before they become unpaid registered members. In this sub-forum unpaid members are being allowed to short-circuit the slow-as-molasses subscriber request forum and make actionable suggestions free of payment or even context and forethought. If that's the new process so be it, but maybe it's time for ANN to further clarify what it means to be subscriber.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
While the intent of the poll is slightly different, wouldn't this also be giving the stuff away for free?

Not really. It's not like the community forum is a secret news service where merely seeing the threads gives everything away.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
It's just a donation button with different text to me.

The cynic in me is convinced it was primarily envisioned as a readymade catch-all retort for anyone who posted off-topic comments and then complained when they were edited or removed. But yeah, we're pretty much in complete agreement here.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
In addition, if one really looks at the "requests" of the Community thread, there's really not much being requested.

True, but with a dismal track record that leaves even well reasoned requests hanging indefinitely why would anyone who wanted actual changes ever bother? Not to mention that most of the Community members appear to be rather indifferent to ANN's processes and formulas or simply can't stomach the idea of creating potential controversy by making their own threads.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Just a thought. Nothing against your point of view. I was just thrown by it.

No problem and I hope I explained where I'm coming from. To me everything lines up just fine but I always enjoy an honest question about where my convictions come from.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The idea of subscriber vs non-subscriber aside I have to mirror Tempest's question of what exactly are you looking for from a Nina Twitter feed or Fb page? I mean no offense to Robin at all but it is JUST a simple weekly web comic. What would be the point of a FB or Twitter feed for it? I mean I don't see the points in updates for a weekly webcomic. Ya simply come here and see it. It releases the same day like clockwork so it's not like you need an update to say when a new episode is coming. It's on the same day 3 weeks out of a month. Personally before anything like this is done I would bring up the old idea of some sort of actual Nina collection. A TPB of the Nina comics for fans to buy. Nothing fancy mind you but that would be a better option IMO. Hell you could maybe make it a subscriber bonus. Sign up for say 2 years and pay a bit extra and get a free copy sent to you. Something like that. Or to give subscribers a bonus maybe if Robin is up to it have her autograph subscriber copies. That would be something worth having IMO over a simple twitter or FB feed.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I would bring up the old idea of some sort of actual Nina collection. A TPB of the Nina comics for fans to buy. Sign up for say 2 years and pay a bit extra and get a free copy sent to you. Something like that. Or to give subscribers a bonus maybe if Robin is up to it have her autograph subscriber copies.

Don't go bringing your Economics 101 logic into the ANN universe.

On Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:45 am Zac wrote:
Anime News Nina merchandise is in the planning stages right now.

On Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:23 pm Jadress wrote:
I look forward to when this gets underway as well, Psycho. Thanks for showing interest.

On Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 pm kyokun703 wrote:
So it's been a couple years, and I was wondering how the merchandise planning has gone, or if it's been scrapped.

And, well, that's where the thread ends. No resolution, no explanation, nothing.

The irony here is that ANN doesn't even sell a single subscription that actually lasts long enough for paying members to find out if their original request was ever accepted or declined. Maybe that should be added to the small print so folks don't get their hopes up?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Not to mention that most of the Community members appear to be rather indifferent to ANN's processes and formulas or simply can't stomach the idea of creating potential controversy by making their own threads.

When I first became a subscriber, I was rather looking forward to the Community. After visiting it, I saw tumbleweeds rolling across my monitor.

I don't really think it's about creating potential controversy, but more on the lines of "Who'd bother replying anyway?". At least, that's my take.

A few polls every now and then do get some feedback, but I don't think I've seen one hit 50 votes to this day (though I didn't go too far back).

Oh, and how funny to see your avatar again - the first time I saw it was for a wrinkle-free cream.
It'd be interesting to get views from non-subscribers on why they don't sign up.

Just for the record, my $20/yr. goes towards the Encyclopedia, which is priceless given what it delivers.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
maybe it's time for ANN to further clarify what it means to be subscriber.

umm... which part of this do you think needs to be clarified?

daxomni wrote:
And, well, that's where the thread ends. No resolution, no explanation, nothing.

You know, I really agree. Even I want to know what happened with this :-/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I would bring up the old idea of some sort of actual Nina collection. A TPB of the Nina comics for fans to buy. Sign up for say 2 years and pay a bit extra and get a free copy sent to you. Something like that. Or to give subscribers a bonus maybe if Robin is up to it have her autograph subscriber copies.

On Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:45 am Zac wrote:
Anime News Nina merchandise is in the planning stages right now.

On Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:23 pm Jadress wrote:
I look forward to when this gets underway as well, Psycho. Thanks for showing interest.

On Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 pm kyokun703 wrote:
So it's been a couple years, and I was wondering how the merchandise planning has gone, or if it's been scrapped.

The irony here is that ANN doesn't even sell a single subscription that actually lasts long enough for paying members to find out if their original request was ever accepted or declined. Maybe that should be added to the small print so folks don't get their hopes up?

Since you've decided it's time to throw a tantrum, I guess I'll go ahead and answer some of your grievances! At least, the ones I can.

First: ANN is a very small company. We have a handful of people on staff and all of us are very busy people. We don't have one person whose job it is - even tangentially - to handle the community forum and make sure the subscribers are given a regular series of benefits and perks.

Secondly, lining up those benefits and perks proved to be a lot more difficult than any of us originally thought. Getting retailer coupons isn't a simple process, and Robin barely has time to produce Nina, let alone continue making custom art for the community forums. Further, I haven't had any magic brainstorms about what you guys actually want - if what you want is a voice in the direction of the site or the editorial process, sorry, that isn't for sale. We're happy to listen to your suggestions, but a lot of them aren't plausible for a number of reasons. One thing we absolutely should be doing better is responding with a straight yes or no to each one in a much more timely manner. Usually I can tell you whether or not something is reasonable or doable right away... but part of me really hates to just reject everything because that's likely what would happen (not that you guys haven't had some good ideas, but often we lack the infrastructure or the manpower to implement those changes without severely impacting someone's ability to get their normal work done).

So it really does boil down to who's available to do what and when, and for a while now nobody really has much time to do anything. What that means is that we've done - and I will admit to this upfront - a poor job maintaining the community forum and making subscriber perks a regular thing.

I will say this; I've tried to include the community forums when collecting questions for the podcast and when I did get the occasional response to the Podcast thread, I'd give the subscriber questions priority. But after a short period of time nobody responded at all to the updates and didn't seem to care, so I stopped updating it and removed the thread because it wasn't worth the effort. Again I tried to include y'all in the first callout show and got "you're dumb for doing it at this time" and then "sorry can't participate". I did get Blood- to join us, which was great, but that was a discouraging experience. Still, I suppose I should be more persistent and not give up so quickly - but I get the sense that the folks in the community forum don't really care too much about the podcast. And that's fine, it's just an observation. But that was originally one avenue where I wanted to include the community forums as more a part of the show, and it didn't seem to pan out.

Here's what's going on with Nina merchandise. Early last year I was looking into having Myoopi plush dolls manufactured, to the point where I actually found a small company that could produce a small run of them where we might not lose our shirts if they didn't sell well. They went out of business around March of last year. I found another company over the summer... and they went out of business in September. It's not for lack of trying, it's that small businesses that produce what we're looking for in the numbers we want them produced in seem to have taken a serious hit in this economy.

We obviously can't afford to have 10,000 Miyoopi plush dolls made and frankly I have no idea what the actual demand for them would be; we were looking at an initial run of 300 or so, but again, those places seemed to dry up last year. If any of you have any suggestions - meaning a small company that can produce a small, relatively inexpensive line - please, let me know. I'm all ears.

As for the TPB idea, I like it, but again this isn't something I can just will out of thin air. We may be able to produce something using the infrastructure we have in place for Protoculture Addicts, but the result would likely be magazine quality rather than book quality. There's only so much I personally can do on this front; a lot of these decisions are cost decisions and have to be made by Chris, and he is even more ludicrously busy than any of us. It hasn't been a front-burner issue for a while - not to mention the comic just in the last week hit 100 strips, which is maybe enough to fill out a small book. So there is that issue. Years ago when the idea was originally mentioned there were what, 30 strips? That's a pamphlet, guys.

Regardless, we have certainly dropped the ball in responding to subscriber requests and suggestions; you have my sincere apology for that, and I will personally make more of an effort to respond in a timely manner. But just so you know, expect to hear "sorry, it's a swell idea but we lack the money/time/manpower to implement it in a timely manner" more often than not. A lot of what you guys suggest are deceptively simple ideas that when you actually look into what it would take to implement the idea it's mountains of coding or major infrastructure changes, and those things happen slowly. So that's just the reality of it.

I do want to add this:

Dan42 wrote:
daxomni wrote:
maybe it's time for ANN to further clarify what it means to be subscriber.

umm... which part of this do you think needs to be clarified?

I will say that based on the description on that page you are getting what you paid for by and large, minus the bonuses (which I will start a thread for in the community forum) and the community forum isn't as active as anyone would like. So I think alluding to how you're being ripped off or bamboozled is probably a little much.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If any of you have any suggestions - meaning a small company that can produce a small, relatively inexpensive line - please, let me know. I'm all ears.

I've an idea, but unfortunately, I don't know how well it can be implemented, so I'll break down two options:

The first, and probably the easiest, is to create a pre-order page. The minimum units must be met before manufacturing takes place. Generally, a loss of 10%-15% should be expected, so calculate accordingly. Once the units are met, then production can begin.

Based on the turn-around time, you can either charge a pre-order amount (hold charge until items ship) or produce, then charge. Since ANN uses Paypal, there's really not much in flexibility on holding funds, and that leaves an open risk if production takes too long.

The other option is to bill us via a subscription "add-on" which covers the amount of the item. This is great to grab funds ahead of time, but if the minimum isn't met, refunding can be tediously difficult (let alone the fees you'll lose through Paypal).

There is one more option, and that's to add another tier to the subscription at $50 with the notion an item (regardless what it ends up being) will eventually be made.

And finally, one request which shouldn't cost much: Can we get a "Lind Trustee" boilerplate to those who contributed for the new server? Exempt from grammar rules doesn't seem to cut it.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Regardless, we have certainly dropped the ball in responding to subscriber requests and suggestions; you have my sincere apology for that, and I will personally make more of an effort to respond in a timely manner.

I'd like to echo that sentiment. I also feel that we haven't been as responsive as we should and I apologize for that. In the future I'll do my best to respond quickly to subscriber comments.
m(_ _)m
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I'd like to echo that sentiment. I also feel that we haven't been as responsive as we should and I apologize for that. In the future I'll do my best to respond quickly to subscriber comments.
m(_ _)m

Well that would be nice. When I suggested bigger Avatars for subscribers, you did nothing for days, and then only responded literally less than fifteen minutes before my subscription ran out. Needless to say I was kind of peeved at the time, to the point where I almost decided to re-subscribe.

I know you guys are busy. But it only takes five minutes (less even) to check the entire forum. You can't really blame people for thinking that you don't care about them.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

If that's a dig at me then wtf is your problem Chris? It was simply a suggestion. If you don't like so be it but you don't have to be rude about it. If it's not a dig at me then once again you need to work on your humor because it's falling flat.

Quote:
As for the TPB idea, I like it, but again this isn't something I can just will out of thin air. We may be able to produce something using the infrastructure we have in place for Protoculture Addicts, but the result would likely be magazine quality rather than book quality. There's only so much I personally can do on this front; a lot of these decisions are cost decisions and have to be made by Chris, and he is even more ludicrously busy than any of us. It hasn't been a front-burner issue for a while - not to mention the comic just in the last week hit 100 strips, which is maybe enough to fill out a small book. So there is that issue. Years ago when the idea was originally mentioned there were what, 30 strips? That's a pamphlet, guys.

i for one certainly wouldn't expect the quality to be anything more then PA Zac. Hell I sort of assumed if this idea ever happened it would somehow be done in conjecture with PA or at least in the same production plant as PA. This isn't a Marvel comic here. This is a simple but funny webcomic from an anime website. Anyone with half a brain should not expect miracles from you guys. I think if a TPB was ever done having it be magazine quality is fine. You're only marketing this to a small group here. Not the myriad of fans of Marvel or DC. We'd be happy with anything really. Hell make it a magazine itself and instead of being a PA issue make it a Nina issue. Market it as an ANN Special Edition Collector's Issue. Subscribers who order get their copy signed by Robin for a bonus. Something like that would be perfectly fine with or without the bonus signature. When I first thought of the idea I figured it would take a while for the amount of strips to build up. They have. So maybe now it might be more of a feasible option. That's for you guys to decide. I think though personally that would be an option, among others, that is a hell of a lot more worth investing in then a twitter or FB feed that isn't even really needed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2