• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osaka Designates 8 Boys-Love Manga Mags as 'Harmful'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
aquaofthewater wrote:
What made me giggle the most was the fact that more people were concerned with Hit Girl swearing than with her killing people. Weird how our society prioritizes things nowadays.

That's only the USA, I think.

Not really. The uproar started in Europe.

That seems unlikely. Can you link me? Wikipedia just mentions 'Australian Family Association spokesman John Morrissey claimed that "the language [was] offensive and the values inappropriate"...'. That's not really an uproar over swearing. No mention of Europe.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
sunflower wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
aquaofthewater wrote:
What made me giggle the most was the fact that more people were concerned with Hit Girl swearing than with her killing people. Weird how our society prioritizes things nowadays.

That's only the USA, I think.

Not really. The uproar started in Europe.

That seems unlikely. Can you link me? Wikipedia just mentions 'Australian Family Association spokesman John Morrissey claimed that "the language [was] offensive and the values inappropriate"...'. That's not really an uproar over swearing. No mention of Europe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/apr/04/kickass-film-review
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/apr/02/kick-ass-bad-language
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/7545480/Kick-Ass-review.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html

I don't know much about the American critics with this film, but the British reviews/articles often have an alarmed tone about Hit Girl. The last link in particular has a real "we're doomed" feel to it. Even this positive British review (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/mar/31/kick-ass-review-film) points out "bad taste" and abuse (though notes the "craziness" and satire as being enjoyable overall, so the movie was enjoyable). And this one (http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=135694) notes that some will find it outrageous and insuitable.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
The last link in particular has a real "we're doomed" feel to it.

It's the Daily Mail. What exactly did you expect, responsible journalism?

Also, with regards to who got "mad" first (which is a silly point of contention anyway) the film debuted at SXSW in the US first, so I imagine a lot of critics saw it there first. But yes, the film was opened to wide release in the UK, and scandinavian countries BEFORE it's April 16 release in the US.

My last point is, what the hell does Kick-Ass have to do at ALL with boys-love magazines being restricted to sale to people over 18 in JAPAN?!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Scaramanga wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
The last link in particular has a real "we're doomed" feel to it.

It's the Daily Mail. What exactly did you expect, responsible journalism?

My last point is, what the hell does Kick-Ass have to do at ALL with boys-love magazines being restricted to sale to people over 18 in JAPAN?!

The movie and not so family friend manga really have nothing to do with each other, just like WD 40 and ketchup.

Anyway, the movie seemed way too violent and a tad bit too creepy, so I am glad I actually didn't see the movie. But the main male character is easily the strangest of all the characters.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
How do you say "ban this sick filth" in Japanese again? Laughing
jtstellar

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

this discussion is for free people. does your constitution even defend free speech? wait, do you even have a written constitution at all? you can go back to 1776 and re-serve as the prime example of why americans had a revolution. you seriously consider that people would find religious heretics less repulsive than underage sex would seem to some in modern society, let alone mere art and images, back in those days as devoted in religions as they were that they were willing to burn to death heretics, but americans would defend expressions nonetheless even if they were offensive to their own religions, but that they wouldn't have defended drawings? and to think they even fought a war to defend their freedom which constantly exposed themselves to potential languages that would be insulting to their most devoted beliefs.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Uhh... Mohawk is British. But I agree, that comment is uncalled for. People should be free to enjoy all kinds of fictional entertainment. As for minors, I believe there are already some restrictions in place. They should try enforcing them instead of enacting some vague generalized ban.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Calm down. Mohawk was making a joke about the Daily Mail (which is one of the British newspapers RestlessOne linked to a few posts back on a tangential note).

Being relentlessly outraged on behalf of conservative, petit-bourgeois Little Englanders (as expressed through headlines like "ban this sick filth!", "it's political correctness gone mad!" and "European Union bans Christmas!") is pretty much the entirety of their editorial policy. Imagine a newspaper version of Fox News as tailored to respectable lower-middle class old ladies and you'll more or less have the right idea.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I was just posting the "outrage" that someone doubted^^ I honestly don't know too much about British newspapers, online or otherwise, though it did go hand in hand with eyeresist wondering how it started in Europe. Whether or not someone chooses to believe it is their right. But, yeah, sorry for any trouble...
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
does your constitution even defend free speech?

Well, the constitution does, but the politicians do not. It's a shame to see such a conservative(doesn't want to change) and one sided nation(enterprises).
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
But, yeah, sorry for any trouble...

Not your fault. It's jtstellar who ought to be apologising - that was quite some rant.

egoist wrote:
Well, the constitution does

Which constitution would that be?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

this discussion is for free people. does your constitution even defend free speech? wait, do you even have a written constitution at all? you can go back to 1776 and re-serve as the prime example of why americans had a revolution. you seriously consider that people would find religious heretics less repulsive than underage sex would seem to some in modern society, let alone mere art and images, back in those days as devoted in religions as they were that they were willing to burn to death heretics, but americans would defend expressions nonetheless even if they were offensive to their own religions, but that they wouldn't have defended drawings? and to think they even fought a war to defend their freedom which constantly exposed themselves to potential languages that would be insulting to their most devoted beliefs.
Now you know why puritains were transported to the colonies. Didn't have to waste precious wood on the pires when we could now just ship them out, also if you believe puritains weren't at abusing children too, you might try researching a bit of psychohistory. Wink Laughing
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Now you know why puritains were transported to the colonies. Didn't have to waste precious wood on the pires when we could now just ship them out, also if you believe puritains weren't at abusing children too, you might try researching a bit of psychohistory. Wink Laughing

I though they transported themselves because they believe England was going to Hell in a Handbasket. You were the problem, not the Puritans.

Aren't you glad you're rid of us?
But we got Obama now. HA! We're going to have the Rapture any day now...
And I'm taking my BL with me!

Actually I'd prefer it left in the hands of parents. It isn't the government's place to decide whether I allow my 12 yr old to read Gravitation or not.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I though they transported themselves because they believe England was going to Hell in a Handbasket. You were the problem, not the Puritans.
That's just their propaganda they gave to the natives when they arrived at Massachusetts, Customs & Border Control. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3