• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Delays HD Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
The forced conversion to HD-TV in the U.S. is being pushed back to 2009, so ADV can wait as the HD formats for DVD's get established.

As for ADV, they've been hoarding titles. They've got a ton of stuff they haven't touched, including Full Metal Panic ~Fumoffu~. Some of the titles they've licensed are only average titles and with so many anime titles out there, consumers are going to be more choosy about what they pay those high prices for.

I think ADV thought that TAN would be a gold mine for making money off of anime titles, but as I understand it, they only play dubs on TAN. If true, then the hard-core market that demands Japanese versions of titles be released are being ignored. I feel many of these people would be willing to pay to see subtitled versions of the titles on TAN. Just my opinion though based on how hard core fans do tend to pony up the money for anime.

We'll see what happens though.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
The forced conversion to HD-TV in the U.S. is being pushed back to 2009, so ADV can wait as the HD formats for DVD's get established.

It's not a forced conversion to HD, it's a forced conversion from analog to digital TV. While all HD is digital (actually it's not, the first analog HDTV broadcast was in Japan in 1989, but it will be digital in the US), not all digital is HD. Companies have the choice to broadcast in HD if they so choose, or broadcast in SDTV (standard def TV) which will allow them to simulcast multiple programs on one channel, or to go interactive if they want to try and pull it off. It's also worth noting that the rule would not be implemented in any market where less than 85 percent of residents had not converted to digital.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I've gotten mixed signals on this, and even DLW's posts over at ADV say two different things,

DLW wrote:
That was just one extra of many which isn't coming now so I guess it's all moot.

Quote:
Yes the various re-releases which were to include an HD version as an extra have been shelved for now.

So "indefinitely delayed" seems appropriate to me.

Sorry, wasn't posting just to try and call foul on your news item's header. ^^;;

At any rate, I was actually looking forward to the Noir re-release since it seems like it would have benefited the most from such a release format for a few reasons, but it's a non-issue now, unfortunately.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

As for ADV, they've been hoarding titles. They've got a ton of stuff they haven't touched, including Full Metal Panic ~Fumoffu~. Some of the titles they've licensed are only average titles and with so many anime titles out there, consumers are going to be more choosy about what they pay those high prices for.

I think ADV thought that TAN would be a gold mine for making money off of anime titles, but as I understand it, they only play dubs on TAN. If true, then the hard-core market that demands Japanese versions of titles be released are being ignored. I feel many of these people would be willing to pay to see subtitled versions of the titles on TAN. Just my opinion though based on how hard core fans do tend to pony up the money for anime.

We'll see what happens though.

What I think they were banking on was "we have all these titles, and they're on an anime network! and teenagers and adults love Anime!", and the relative success on techTV and adult swim. During the PR chat session on #animenewsnetwork, the man said that it wouldn't be a childrens station, or a station that had any consideration towards children. There's two big problems here though

1. While Adult Swim has experienced some success with titles such as GitS: SAC, The Big O, FLCL, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop and Inu Yasha, these were all played at night time, and were of a higher-teir popularity and not any old crap. ADV is runing it 24/7, and ARE playing any old crap simply because it's "Anime", not because the things they have are nessecerally good or exceptional. The audience CN pulls in for Adult Swim wouldn't watch 24 hours of Anime, because they also have lives elsewhere (believe it or not).

2. Not making it a kid-accesible channel is partially what's going to kill it in the end. Face it, the titles that make the most money are things such as One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and goodness knows what else. This is what keeps cartoon channels running and popular, not edited Gantz, repeats of Evangelion, Divergence Eve, Lady Death, or cookie-cutter show #22343.

So really, they're relying on a partially interested and not entirely satisfiable market. I mean, one hour of subtitled anime a week? And what are these shows? a 3 episode OAV, and a giant robot show from 1995 which has already made its rounds many, many times in the fan community that they're trying to profit from? Why not try showing more subtitled content during the week, experimenting with the audience? I can't imagine all of the content they play on it gets so, so, so many veiwers, otherwise they wouldn't have done that pathetic "save the anime network" trite several months ago.

Also, just because you're available in X homes, doesn't mean you have X veiwers, or ever will have that many. While I'd advocate thinking outside of the box, crap like Lady Death and "ANime Theatre 3000" plus god knows whatever tacky otaku unfunny comedy bollocks they'd play isn't the way to go. It's an Anime Network- SHOW ANIME (subsequently, that's the thing that's going to kill them).
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

1. While Adult Swim has experienced some success with titles such as GitS: SAC, The Big O, FLCL, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop and Inu Yasha, these were all played at night time, and were of a higher-teir popularity and not any old crap. ADV is runing it 24/7, and ARE playing any old crap simply because it's "Anime", not because the things they have are nessecerally good or exceptional. The audience CN pulls in for Adult Swim wouldn't watch 24 hours of Anime, because they also have lives elsewhere (believe it or not).

You expect that they would have 24 hours of nothing but blockbuster series to play? Every network has good, decent, and bad shows. AS can pick and choose because it's a small block. TAN cannot be 24/7 and be that way. Of course I doubt they expect that all people will watch all day everyday is TAN. But there are people that will tune in to catch a series they like, or a series that they haven't seen before.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
I mean, one hour of subtitled anime a week? And what are these shows? a 3 episode OAV, and a giant robot show from 1995 which has already made its rounds many, many times in the fan community that they're trying to profit from? Why not try showing more subtitled content during the week, experimenting with the audience?

The network is still basically new. Of course they will end up experimenting with things to see what works best. Even networks that have been around a long time and are established experiment with things. Just because they may start out with one hour, doesn't mean it will stay that way. It's just a way to test the reaction of the audience to subbed shows on TAN.
bakedleech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
FYI both Elfen Lied and Full Metal Panic Fumoffu are being solicited for May in Diamond Comics' Previews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2