• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Simulcast Rainbow TV Anime on June 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Way to prove you have no idea what you're talking about! The only one(s) who have been "raped" in Rainbow (of the named characters) spoiler[is Jou/Joe, who was first raped by the head of his orphange, and then again by the doctor.]

So let me get this straight, this show isn’t insinuating that spoiler[ Jo’s sister is going to be raped by the man who adopted her. Or perhaps, the doctor giving a unnecessary rectal examine to all the boys in the first episode isn’t considered a form of rape by the justice system. Or maybe Sukuragi’s friend wasn’t raped by the doctor before the boys joined him in the detention center.]
Quote:
Also, did you hate Now and Then, Here and There for having a comically insidious pure evil antagonist as well?

I have never seen this show, so I cannot comment on it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
So, Youtube/funimation is region blocked for Canada? This is a question I have had that I live on the wrong side of Lake Erie to check.

No, the Youtube streams aren't blocked but they're awfully low quality. The streams on Funimation's site are done via Hulu though which as far as I know, does not stream to Canada ever.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
vashthekaizoku wrote:
Now if only someone would pick up Angel Beats, Working, and Arakawa Under the Bridge, and if Crunchy gets Bleach,I might actually wean off of fansubs...
glad to see someone else likes working Smile

I wasn't terribly impressed with the first couple of episodes, but it's been growing on me. For fluff comedy based on a four-panel format, it's not bad. I'm kind of surprised CR didn't pick it up, based on previous streams.

ikillchicken wrote:
No, the Youtube streams aren't blocked but they're awfully low quality.

Are they? From what I've seen of the 480p episodes of House of Five Leaves that Funi's been posting, the quality seems pretty nice.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
This is an ok show and why cant they pick up Maid-Sama well there at it
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome because of the bad acting in the Japanese version and the fact that a Funimation dub will actually probably be an improvement over the original as long as they don't see the over-the-top voice acting as something that should be maintained. I'll probably start watching this show now.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
agila61 wrote:
How else would you suggest doing it when a production committee in Tokyo dithers on the decision for nearly two months into the season?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Funi who dithered, waiting to make sure it was a good show and didn't completely fall apart one or two episodes in. (For example, I'll bet they're quite happy now that they didn't pick up Senkou no NIGHT RAID based on the very pretty pre-release materials...)

I think I missed something here. Sure, I only watched the first episode (too much other stuff), but...the show's actually crappy in the long run?

That's an epic buzzkill... >:<
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
This is awesome because of the bad acting in the Japanese version and the fact that a Funimation dub will actually probably be an improvement over the original as long as they don't see the over-the-top voice acting as something that should be maintained. I'll probably start watching this show now.

leaving aside the "bad acting" claim, which I don't agree with at all given the direction... first, you might be waiting a very long time before the Funi dub appears, like some of their previous acquisitions. Second, the entire show itself is over the top (Cabbage, Turtle? lol ), which I doubt can simply be fixed in the dub. Of course, they can try and really screw up the fidelity to the original which I'm sure will raise hell, while not really fixing what's wrong the show.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Funi who dithered, waiting to make sure it was a good show and didn't completely fall apart one or two episodes in. (For example, I'll bet they're quite happy now that they didn't pick up Senkou no NIGHT RAID based on the very pretty pre-release materials...)

I think I missed something here. Sure, I only watched the first episode (too much other stuff), but...the show's actually crappy in the long run?

I'd concur with Justin on this one. Senkou no Night Raid has turned out to be a big disappointment for me, though I can't say I feel much better about Rainbow. It's better, but the director seems like someone who would prefer to a paint a canvas with a bucket instead of a brush. The over the top nature of everything makes (very) serious scenes become unintentionally camp. And while I may like the sound of Megumi Hayashibara's voice, her omniscient narration popping up several times an episode really doesn't help.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Yep. After episode 1, up to episode 6(which is the one I'm at), the episodes were rather dull and there was a whole filler episode(two protagonists chasing a cat), and if I recall correctly, there was another filler(with same protagonists taking pictures of dishes). One fansub group dropping it after another; that or they're awfully late with their releases. If even fansubs can't keep up with that, who else would.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Even though this doesn't sound like my kind of anime, it's too bad this is currently just a simulcast deal. I'm all for more anime legally streamed but the Canada blockage and the natural limitations of the media bother me.

Why do I care about the Canadian fans when I'm in the USA? 'cause Canada should get North American releases that are in English by default in my opinion. It just makes sense. Setting that aside though. . . .

I wish Funimation would make some sort of statement regarding these streaming deals as they apply to potential DVD/Blu-Ray releases. Maybe give us a basis for figuring out how to get a full release out of the deal. As an anime fan and especially as a fan who prefers English dubs, I'd love to know how what I need to do to support a series that is just a simulcast deal if I really like it.

What is the number of views needed per episode before a series streamed is considered a "success?" Is there a way to get sponsors for streaming to sponsor a physical release? Does a streaming release lower or raise the amount of money that has to be made on a physical release before the show is considered profitable?

I know it's pretty unlikely I'll ever get answers but come on, someone has to know and darn it, can't someone get them drunk enough to talk? Wink
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The series lost its touch with me. It simply stopped being cool when it tried to force you to cry. I prefer series that don't try to make me cry like Now and Then and such. It's ridiculous how much I overrated Rainbow in my head. The animation is pretty bad for a Madhouse series since it is much too dark to see nice animation.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Eh... I haven't cried once watching Rainbow. Nor have I felt like a scene was put in to "make me cry". I mean, this work I think was either autobiographical or biographical, so while I'm certain that some things have been exaggerated, the kids who were put in those prisons I'm sure went through hell. I'm pretty sure that's why there is that disclaimer at the beginning of the episode.

I more look forward to seeing the resolve of the inmates more than the decrepit surrounding they're in. Such as spoiler[An-chan's beating the hell out of those guys after they busted Mario's hand].

I mean, I understand what people say, and I completely agree that it's full of melodrama and radically evil antagonists, but I don't watch it for that. It's the bond between An-chan, Mario, Soldier, Turtle, Uncovered, Cabbage, and Joe that keeps me watching.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Outstanding news, as I've been wanting to see someone simulcast the show, but thought it would be too dark or heavy for someone to take the chance. I guess the good word-of-mouth played a roll in it, and I will definitely be aiming to catch it. Better late than never with this and Giant Killing...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
No, the Youtube streams aren't blocked but they're awfully low quality.

Are they? From what I've seen of the 480p episodes of House of Five Leaves that Funi's been posting, the quality seems pretty nice.

Really? I tried watching an episode of Five Leaves and thought it looked pretty bad. I had assumed the Hulu quality was better. You don't happen to know if it is do you?

The thing is, I could see watching a show I'm less into through lower quality streams. (In that regard, them streaming Rainbow is good news). Except Funi keeps streaming the stuff I'm really into. With Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy, I really think I should see them in higher quality.

I guess I'll just wait for a DVD release, but then again, I'm becoming increasingly worried that there won't be one. Funi's 'always dub' policy is great normally but in this case, I'm worried it will translate into them not putting these shows out because they aren't profitable enough with a dub. Basically, it's turned into a big old clusterfuck.
hakojo

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
BROMANCE the TV series, AKA RAINBOW, is totally the best comedy of the season. I'm glad I'll be able to keep watching it - I have this odd fascination with it, even though it's so amazingly over the top in its efforts to evoke any kind of emotional response that it ends up being downright funny. The Paku Romi character doesn't help, either; as much as I love her as an actress, singer, and my lord and savior, this is only the latest in a long string of roles she's had with character designs that don't fit her voice at all. The only one who's garnered any sympathy from me at all is An-chan, and that's mostly because of Koyama Rikiya. Anime smallmouth

Drive-by Hayashibara Megumi-ing FTW, though, even if she's just sort of there, phoning it in. What can I say, I love listening to her talk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3