• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ever got tired of anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
So, after reading a fellow Community user's post I had this idea.
Special thanks to Batman.

Ever got tired of anime? Ever thought there was not a single anime out there that could interest you anymore? What measures do you take when such a thing happens?

I have lost interest in anime way too many times. I used to think anime was pretty limited and with the 100 I had seen I'd be running out of options soon (my picks were usually from animenfo's top 200, and ANN's top something, but I never really agreed with the top 10, even though I had just started on japanimation). By that time I used to drop lots of anime after watching just 5 minutes or even 20 episodes (out of 24-26) (my immediate goal is to finish everything that I like on my "seen some" and simply discard whichever I still don't like, which will be pretty rare), and I eventually started to run tired of anime somewhere along. Back then I used to play WoW and watch anime, so I'd usually use either as a runaway from each other whenever I got tired, and that usually worked great (nowadays I don't play WoW anymore, and anime is my main entertainment). Once I hit the 200-250 mark I never got tired again (I'm somewhere along 400 nowadays). Officially addicted.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I get really bored with it. Usually it's because anime is my main source of entertainment, and I watch everything I can get my hands on. So, when we hit periods where 99% of the shows coming out use the same tired clichés, I get terribly bored with it after a while. Usually, I just stop watching and read for a few months. Then I come back and look to see what everyone thought was the best, and I buy those and try and get back into the current season. I think that's the only way for me to get back into it, because otherwise keeping up with shows becomes a chore rather than something I do for fun.
ponlork

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well... I still stay up on the news and try to keep up with what's new but I haven't been watching anime relentlessly like I used to. I wouldn't say I'm burnt out on it but there was a time when you could lay any anime in front of me and I would get excited and watch it all the way through. Now days it feels like a chore to get into a new series. I don't get involved with the anime community as much anymore either, I used to do fansubs, attend cons, moderate anime forums, but I'm not active in any of that stuff anymore.

Maybe when you become so knowledgeable in something it doesn't become intriguing like it used to.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get bored with it really. I remember seeing some back in the 80's when cable started to grow around where I live, but the shows were either mecha, which is a genre I never really got into, or something that was aimed at kids who were generations behind me.

In the 90's I would occasionally pick up a VHS or 3 at the video store (hey, remember those?) and outside of La Blue Girl, and other hentai/ecchi series, I didn't find too much that was memorable.

Cut to 10 or so years ago, and I caught Card Captor Sakura and Evangelion, and since the few people I knew that watched anime were all about Sailor Moon, or that type, I kept a low profile on my viewing. I still wasn't hooked yet, but I didn't get bored with it.

Cut to about 6-7 years ago, and I catch Chobits and Excel Saga. Blammo. Something clicked. But it wasn't until 3 years ago that I finally weaned myself from dial-up, and a whole world opened up.
It turned out to be the best thing for me, since, not only was I able to catch new series, yet to be released on dvd (R1, legit, anyway), I was able to catch up on tons that I had missed out on.

Not to mention, I have gotten flat-out sick & tired of Hollywood, U.S. media, and the very concept of "celebrity". All those ideas can take their collective agendas and stick them. There is tons of anime I can say I've seen, and want to see. My big problem right now is that it's baseball season, and though I despise "celebrity", I do enjoy the game itself. I better, since my team is total suck-ola again this year. But being a loyal fan, I will watch every game I can.

Anime doesn't bore me. I won't watch anything that would.

The best (okay, one of the best-) thing(s) about anime to me is, there's no anime character trying to influence my vote.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should start this thread, egoist, because I was going to create a similar one after reading comments from The King of Harts and asimpson2006 that they were experiencing some anime burn-out. I'm not at that point yet, but it is becoming easier to imagine that happening. Intellectually, I always assumed it would happen, but now the concept is registering with me on an emotional level, too.

Since January 2009, I have watched 120 anime TV series to completion and bits of several others. I have 56 anime TV series titles in my DVD collection that I have not watched yet (51 are completely unwatched and 5 are in various stages of watchification).

I'm definitely noticing some changes in my attitude. For example, I recently dumped Mayoi Neko Overrun! into my Will Not Finish file. That's a series that even as late as the Winter 2010 season I probably would have watched to completion and enjoyed. When it comes to currently airing anime, I've become much more brutal than in the past. Now, unless I really look forward to each new episode, the show's gone.

Having said all that, anime remains my #1 entertainment option even after about 15 months of fairly intensive saturation.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Heh. The best thing I could recommend is to give it a break and focus on some other means of entertainment. I dumped lots of anime when I started and up to like 3-4 years later. The good thing is that I never really thought about never trying to watch it again, and as that went my anime list(that didn't exist back then) would be composed of 50% anime I had finished and 50% ongoing, and discarded anime; while ongoing weren't so many as I really raided my anime(previous examples: 300 One Piece in a week, and that was just last year). So, like I said in the opening, I used a game as my main entertainment until I could find excitement in anime once again, which worked perfectly. I'd stay as much as a month without touching anime, and if I recall correctly I stayed a long period watching one or none episodes a day. While it's true that nowadays I can't find anime as exciting as I did back when I started, I believe I'd definitely feel the same way I felt about anime as I felt on my, say, 150 mark, if I were to do what I did(which was either stay away from anime for a long period, or simply limit what I watch to barely one a day). Nothing of that happened because I wanted a break, or planned on "finding excitement once again" but mostly because I got really exhausted of anime.

Another thing I found to moderate the number of anime I watch is ANN, since I don't play games anymore.

I'd say don't rush with moving anime to "will never finish". You could feel differently next year, or in five year, so I'd keep that section for anime that simply isn't your genre, and not just boring. Another alternative would be to create a partition like "Will revise one day".

Well, I have been working seven days a week for the past year, and that really served as an anime "refresh". I'm looking forward to the number of anime I'll be watching once my hours at work are reduced by over half.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess part of the reason I get burned out is that I buy boxsets. So I get an order in, say a lovely box of four series I've been looking forward to getting my hands on.

I watch the first series. Meh, it was watchable, fairly generic and unmemorable though.

Second series. Oh, this is terrible. Maybe the people who praised it live in an alternate universe? I manage to finish the first disc (if I'm lucky) and put the set on my discard/possibly-try-again-later pile.

Third series. Awful first episode; gets a bit better after that. Then the one interesting feature of the show somehow vanishes halfway through the series. I make it to the end, which involves the usual stuff: the characters finally become a bit more interesting, but then there's a cop-out ending, where half the characters disappear and the rest float naked in a big glowy thing.

Fourth show. Wow, a harem comedy with no jokes. All the characters are unredeemed cliches who seem to have been dropped in from a bunch of totally unrelated shows. After the first couple of episodes, I find I can only watch one episode every couple of days. Then my brain starts leaking out my ears, and I have to stop completely.

Eventually I work up the nerve to risk my brain cells again - always in the hope that I'll find another of those amazing classic shows that make the whole endeavor worthwhile. Sadly you can only watch a great show for the first time once.

Yes, you can go do something else, but if that something-else also turns out to be soul-destroyingly mediocre then chronic ennui may result.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
All the time. I'll switch my hobbies up to take a break from it for a month or two. It's been pretty on and off recently. I'm hesitant on buying newer stuff on DVD because of the likelihood a Blu-ray release.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Most of anime amounts to disposable brain vacationing, so yeah, I get tired of anime. With so many classic and notable anime already available I wouldn't waste my time with the latest shonen dreck.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
I've actually been on an anime slump since November of last year. I have huge, HUGE backlogs of stuff I know I will like and enjoy, but finding time to actually sit down and enjoy it is fading fast. Probably due to stress, I've barely done anything but putter around on Facebook games.....but things will turn around before too long, and I'll dive into my stacks and start watching and enjoying again. Its probably better that way, anime 24-7, 365 gets old fast, and I still enjoy it too much to let that happen.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Yes. While I've always liked it, I'll lose interest, then get back into it. I was really into it from 2004-2006, then fizzled out, then briefly from the end of 06 to the beginning of 07. It wasn't until the end of 08 I started it up again for a few months, then finally I've been into it since feb of this year.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
I pretty much liked Anime from the moment I first encountered it but even I will go off it from time to time. Some things you just know you will come back to though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
.I'd say don't rush with moving anime to "will never finish". You could feel differently next year, or in five year, so I'd keep that section for anime that simply isn't your genre, and not just boring. Another alternative would be to create a partition like "Will revise one day".

Well, "Will Not Finish" is a bit of a misnomer because there is always a chance I might revive one of the titles at some point. But considering how many titles I want to check out, it's not terribly likely I'd go back to any of them any time soon.

Oh and surely this is a typo, is it not?:

egoist wrote:
(previous examples: 300 One Piece in a week, and that was just last year)

Tell me you didn't REALLY watch an average of 42.85 One Piece episodes every day for a solid week???
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote
I have gotten tired of the elitist fan boys in parts of the subculture but as far as Anime no not really I may have taken a break for a while but I don't think I ever just got tired of it. The main reason I took a break from watching it was most of what I had been watching was stuff like Saiyuki which where very dark series and it all really started to really depress me. That is until I discovered slice of life Manga and Anime and rediscovered Harem Anime and just accepted that I liked Shōjo anime and Manga. So I don't think I ever really got tired of Anime in general I think I just got tired of certain genres and kinds of people in the fan community.
braves

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks to the school allowing me to take a break from it, I haven't gotten tired of anime in the 3+ years of being a fan. I don't think I ever will either, since I've defined my taste over the course of the past year or so. If I start watching a show, it's mostly because I already feel that there's something there that I might enjoy. If I'm feeling masochistic, I'll check out an episode of something terrible, but I don't force myself to watch any more than I want to.

I do make liberal use of the "Will Not Finish" list. I drop series after a single episode because I do not believe in the "it gets better" philosophy at all when it comes to series with a "bad start". Not even for long-running shonen shows. All I ask for the first episode of any series of any length is a reason to keep on watching and dedicating my time to it. I'm not expecting my mind to be blown in the first episode, but merely to see evidence the scriptwriter(s), animators, etc. actually have something interesting to show and are competent in their execution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6