• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kekkaishi Episodes 1-5 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It still baffles me as why AS chose this over Soul Eater...

No. Rather, it seems outright retarded... They really are trying to kill off their anime block.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
I read the manga when the series was first announced that Viz Media is licensing the series.

This series isn't too bad, but really doesn't hold my interest at all. I've seen several shows with hunters of various kinds, some are cool and some are far too typical.

This is coming from a person who really enjoy's Shonen Jump though. He fights evil and has a romantic/not so romantic relationship with the main female character.

I am sorry, but this has been done at least 10 times. Youkai hunters can be cool if the character's personalities are drawn out, but otherwise are pretty much the same as warriors from random rpg games.

I am not saying this a bad series, but I am saying I am not interested. Though like John Casey, I do wonder why AS picked this show instead of something more popular like Soul Eater or Inuysaha: The Final Act.
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The plot is so typical and the characters so ordinary that it is neither overrated nor underrated, but simply "rated."

Pretty much. I love the manga but I couldn't watch this...

As for the manga, it does start out at first a little slow and seem formulaic as well, but the pacing picks up quickly enough and unlike the tv anime, it doesn't aim to stay formulaic and appeal to a certain audience demographic. Let me put it this way, spoiler[the whole family feud thing pretty much dies off. It feels like the mangaka just realized it was lame and introduced more interesting conflicts.]
Go read the manga! ^^
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
I think Adult Swim chose this one over Soul Eater because it has less fan service. I have never noticed very much fan service in Adult Swim choices in the last few years. The characters in Kekkaishi will probably appeal to a larger audience as well, and will be accepted by the considerable amount of female fans that love Bleach. AS anime block is dominated by Bleach and the fans it attracts. Soul Eater, due to its similarities to Bleach, would inevitably attract disparaging comparisons. I'm *guessing* that Viz packaged Kekkaishi with Inuyasha: Final Act. They have to go with one to get the other. (again, just a hunch).

Both Kekkaishi and Soul Eater are pretty formulaic, IMO. Soul Eater has interesting art design, but everything else is pretty much by-the-book, especially the "jokes", which never struck me as original. I watched the first ten episodes of Soul Eater and never laughed once, nor was I ever surprised by any of the progressions in the story. The characters never seemed fully developed to me, so I was never able to connect with them. Episode 10 was when I stopped watching.

So, uh, yeah. Soul Eater, Kekkaishi, whatev. Kekkaishi is the safer choice.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I have never noticed very much fan service in Adult Swim choices in the last few years.

Code Geass?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I have never noticed very much fan service in Adult Swim choices in the last few years.

Code Geass?

I guess. mmm. a little. but the service went both ways. Soul Eater fan service only aims to one portion of the audience. Code Geass brought in a lot of fangirl squee. I don't think Soul Eater would do the same.
Jacut

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

No. Rather, it seems outright retarded... They really are trying to kill off their anime block.

Because Soul Eater is shit and Kekkaishi is the best shonen anime in the decade besides FMA:B ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Because Soul Eater is shit and Kekkaishi is the best shonen anime in the decade besides FMA:B ?

Did you SERIOUSLY just call soul eater ****?

I mean I could UNDERSTAND if you were to say, 'It's just not my cup of tea' but to make such a biased statement is just completely...

Man, you better prepare for the ****storm coming your way.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

If that was the case,then Why did they get FMA???

I still say it might be interesting series when it shows on AS cause it's still anime and not those crazy live action series like if their trying to mimic the other kids channels.

However them not getting Soul Eater nor reacquiring One Piece is still having me pulling my head like crazy. but at least soul eater did not faced the same unfortunate tv fate unlike naruto shippuden and DBZ Kai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
John Casey wrote:

If that was the case,then Why did they get FMA???

I still say it might be interesting series when it shows on AS cause it's still anime and not those crazy live action series like if their trying to mimic the other kids channels.

However them not getting Soul Eater nor reacquiring One Piece is still having me pulling my head like crazy. but at least soul eater did not faced the same unfortunate tv fate unlike naruto shippuden and DBZ Kai.

You actually have to ask that question?

Because they knew FMA had a fanbase that would come with broadcasting the show. IT's been fairly successful in case you haven't seen the ratings and recently an episode BROKE 400k viewers. That's pretty ****ing impressive for ANIME on adult swim. I think at most, Code Geass only broke like 150k, right? And that was for the first couple episodes, then it was never in the top 3 on saturday night again.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
So, wait, are the only people actually excited for this show to hit the air the only ones who have read past volume 5 or so of the manga? There's a reason all the manga nuts are excited, it really is one of the best currently running shonen around in years (won't say it's the best one, not for another month at least, but it's up there, believe it or not).

However, it does take it sweet time getting awesome, unlike a lot of other shonen that tend to just jump into it all wild and crazy for the first few episodes then trail off for a while afterwards. Yeah, the first volume of the manga was a bit weak too, but it's like the entire dynamic changes for the better when the first major story arc starts and Gen in introduced, or heck, a bit before that when Masamori is introduced (because Masamori is just awesome). Does it take a little longer to get there than most? Yeah, but until then it's not like you're getting a root canal. Just give it time to get comfortable in its own skin, sheesh.
kippy666

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
So, wait, are the only people actually excited for this show to hit the air the only ones who have read past volume 5 or so of the manga? There's a reason all the manga nuts are excited, it really is one of the best currently running shonen around in years (won't say it's the best one, not for another month at least, but it's up there, believe it or not).

However, it does take it sweet time getting awesome, unlike a lot of other shonen that tend to just jump into it all wild and crazy for the first few episodes then trail off for a while afterwards. Yeah, the first volume of the manga was a bit weak too, but it's like the entire dynamic changes for the better when the first major story arc starts and Gen in introduced, or heck, a bit before that when Masamori is introduced (because Masamori is just awesome). Does it take a little longer to get there than most? Yeah, but until then it's not like you're getting a root canal. Just give it time to get comfortable in its own skin, sheesh.

I agree with this guy.
Ghiblix2

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
as usual, i generally agree with the review of ANN. I however liked the series very much but I can't knock someone not liking it considering all the filler episodes. SOOO many filler eps. The pacing was extremely slow but for me, I found that when it did get good, it was great.

So, when the series ended, I started reading the manga. Now it's one of my most anticipated regular reads, it's superb. I felt the casting was pretty great, the voices still are in my head as I read the manga now years later which says a lot about how well casted it was I think.

I'd recommend this, but do skip the filler eps about cakes and such unless you actually enjoy it somehow. Then read the manga, it's a gem.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

classicalzawa could not be more correct. Kekkaishi is easily one of the best shonen series out there ... once you give it a chance to get the ball rolling, that is. Its slow-boiler of a start is probably the main reason why this series is so underrated. Patience is virtue, my friends. Especially in the case of Kekkaishi.

That said, I highly recommend the anime version of Kekkaishi, but with the caveat that the manga is definitely superior. It would be nice to see more of the series animated though.

Last edited by Jedi General on Thu May 13, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I like the manga, so I am definately looking forward to watching this anime on AS. Here's to hoping that the dub is good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3