• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Paradiso Lost [2012-12-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If I could make one wish, I would wish that every single anime company in the entire country of Japan would stop writing that dumb bit where a guy looks in the direction of a gal, and then gets punched for it. Can we stop with this joke? Has it not been written enough times? Can we move on? Thanks.

YES!! I was getting sick of that YEARS ago, I thought this fad would have died out by now, but to my disappointment it seems to be growing. Do Japanese anime fans like this crap, or are the studios just doing it out of habit and/or because shows where this happens to occur make a lot of money?

Chagen46 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
That dude has too many games a not enough anime to be considered "an anime collection." I keep forgetting to send pictures of my three years old 375+ anime BD's/DVD's collection. Most of the times I see the collections highlighted here, I can't keep from thinking that people do not buy enough discs to adequately support non-Japanese distributors.

Collections are not a e-penis contest. People just send them to Bamboo. It's not like they're competing for "who has the largest collection".

On the internet, there are people that will make ANYTHING into an e-penis contest....
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I am not advocating more BD/DVD anime buying as a competition. I am complaining because these highlighted collections seem to indicate that people do not buy much anime on physical media. I doubt it, but this and other collectors highlighted here could have a big legally bought, digital collection.

EDIT: E-penis is such a misogynistic term. What about e-vaginas? Smile
staab99

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
As long as they are supporting the industry (regardless of how big or small your collection is), they are at least buying the shows they enjoyed.

This Shelf Life made me even want to buy Ristorante Paradiso even more. I watched the first 3 episodes about three years ago and I really thought it was a cute little show.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Ristorante Paridiso is the show responsible for me subscribing to Crunchyroll, since I couldn't wait the extra week for the new episode. The show really stood out from the rest of the pack. Needless to say, I pre-ordered it as soon as I saw it listed. I'm happy to see it got a "Shelf Worthy" rating.

....And you are right about the wine. The only problem is, once you have a nice bottle open, then you want the food to go with it. Wink
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I dunno, given the mentality behind penis sizing contests it's more of an insult to men than a snub to women... Razz
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Just a couple of issues:
Quote:
The great misnomer about adaptations is that they are created for the pre-existing fans of a product.

"Misnomer" means incorrect naming, which is meaningless in this context.

Quote:
the men who served in the restaurant's walls

THEY'RE COMING OUTA THE WALLS!
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Quote:
If I could make one wish, I would wish that every single anime company in the entire country of Japan would stop writing that dumb bit where a guy looks in the direction of a gal, and then gets punched for it. Can we stop with this joke? Has it not been written enough times? Can we move on? Thanks.

YES!! I was getting sick of that YEARS ago, I thought this fad would have died out by now, but to my disappointment it seems to be growing. Do Japanese anime fans like this crap, or are the studios just doing it out of habit and/or because shows where this happens to occur make a lot of money?

I've got two words of advice for the Japanese studios: FIRE RUSSO.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
That dude has too many games a not enough anime to be considered "an anime collection." I keep forgetting to send pictures of my three years old 375+ anime BD's/DVD's collection. Most of the times I see the collections highlighted here, I can't keep from thinking that people do not buy enough discs to adequately support non-Japanese distributors.

Collections are not a e-penis contest. People just send them to Bamboo. It's not like they're competing for "who has the largest collection".

Still I droll every-time i see some one with the higurashi "when they cry art-box/set". Then again I'm a collector who loves to see rare items, not that their is anything wrong with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I bought the Ristorante Paradiso manga because of its good reviews. Although I found parts of it to be charming, the parts wherespoiler[ Nicolette tries to "seduce" the older gentleman made me squeamish. He made it pretty clear that he wasn't interested and she kept going after the poor guy. It seemed gross.] Would I still get that "icky" feeling from the anime?

I haven't seen all of the anime (though I wouldn't mind seeing the rest) but I'm pretty sure I know the scene you are talking about and yeah, that feeling is still there. spoiler[I remember not liking it for the same reason, as well as the fact that the portrayal seemed very high school-ish on the man's part, which grated on me since I was watching the show in order to see some more mature characters in action.]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I dunno, given the mentality behind penis sizing contests it's more of an insult to men than a snub to women... Razz

Nah, e-boob sizes - which girls also really do! Laughing
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Bamboo wrote:
we only see them encased behind molded steel armor, which is an absolutely ludicrous thing to ogle.

And even more ludicrous to wear. Ignore the "it guides weapons toward the vital organs" thing you usually hear about D-cup armor... just consider the mechanics of what happens when she falls down. (And if your consideration didn't involve results similar to landing breastbone-first on the business end of a woodsplitting maul, consider it again.)

You might loose a boob or two during a fight, right?
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised when Ristorante Paradiso got licensed. I plan on owning it one of these days.

marie-antoinette wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
I bought the Ristorante Paradiso manga because of its good reviews. Although I found parts of it to be charming, the parts wherespoiler[ Nicolette tries to "seduce" the older gentleman made me squeamish. He made it pretty clear that he wasn't interested and she kept going after the poor guy. It seemed gross.] Would I still get that "icky" feeling from the anime?

I haven't seen all of the anime (though I wouldn't mind seeing the rest) but I'm pretty sure I know the scene you are talking about and yeah, that feeling is still there. spoiler[I remember not liking it for the same reason, as well as the fact that the portrayal seemed very high school-ish on the man's part, which grated on me since I was watching the show in order to see some more mature characters in action.]

I'm still kind of lost as to what the purpose of that scene was. Was it supposed to show how naive Nicoletta is? I wish Natsumi Ono went about the situation in a different way.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Cecily really has nothing going for her, save for her large breasts which are mentioned every episode. Never mind that 98% of the time, we only see them encased behind molded steel armor, which is an absolutely ludicrous thing to ogle.
I always thought Cecily was more designed for the bare-arms/bare-shoulders fetishism crowd, which probably isn't numerous enough to make a breakout sales hit.

One big contributing factor to the disappointment in the final episode for me was the exceedingly long "talking is a free action" scene where the villain simply lets Cecily and Luke sit there, talk about stuff, and recover from their wounds. Watch this show for the fluff and fanservice, or don't watch it at all.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Cecily really has nothing going for her, save for her large breasts which are mentioned every episode. Never mind that 98% of the time, we only see them encased behind molded steel armor, which is an absolutely ludicrous thing to ogle.
I always thought Cecily was more designed for the bare-arms/bare-shoulders fetishism crowd, which probably isn't numerous enough to make a breakout sales hit.

One big contributing factor to the disappointment in the final episode for me was the exceedingly long "talking is a free action" scene where the villain simply lets Cecily and Luke sit there, talk about stuff, and recover from their wounds. Watch this show for the fluff and fanservice, or don't watch it at all.

I just saw it as fluff. Recommended it to a friend and he said it looked badass.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
After recently playing Trails in the Sky, I don't think the story nearly interested me enough to drop $35 (almost double what I paid for the game which took me almost 40 hours to finish) for a short OVA.

I'm not sure the reason game-to-anime transitions usually suck is because they leave out newcomers. I thought it was because they are usually just plain garbage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4