• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cowboy Bebop Writer: Anime Will Die Out in Few Decades

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
This guy is clearly overreacting. Sure, there might have been a lower ratio of good anime to garbage in the past couple years, but that's hardly cause for saying the whole industry will die in a few decades.

Just look back at what came out 10 years ago, heck even 5 years ago. The anime industry is just like anything else, it has its fair share of ups and downs. It's only a matter of time until that next masterpiece is revealed.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Anyway, I think that Sato is right with regards to tsunami of souless moeblob and harem shows. While some here might be trying to hide behind the ANN Top 20 of U.S releeased anime shows etc, I seriously think that Sato should have a much better view of all anime that comes out in japan, and thus is a better judge than many of us. Remember, we only get a mere fraction of the anime content japan has to offer.

All of ANN's regularly reported Top 20 charts are Japanese sales figures, mostly from Oricon. There are no such statistics for the US unfortunately. There are other places that compile cumulative figures for all titles from various sources to give you a better picture over time, but this is still a pretty good indicator of those that manage to have pretty successful DVD/BD sales.

Quote:

For anyone doubting the tsunami of moe cheese, have a look at the japanese anime season broadcast lists. For the sake of it, take it back three or four years from now (cue de lorean flames). Now ready all the synopsis for each show, and you'll see how many are cookie cutter cash in crap.

Staying on topic, Sato is talking about japan and anime there, not U.S anime releases or ANN Top Tens.

Ok to finally dispel the myth about the "tsunami of moeblob" shows, I painfully compiled a list of 2009 shows Mad , includes those few shows starting in the last quarter of 2008, but with half of its season or more in 2009.
http://freetexthost.com/zmapmr5prl

There are 260 series, OVAs, movies. Mostly tv series of course.
I partially broke it down. Those that might be classified as predominantly "slice of life moe" (or what you'd call "moeblob")
Quote:

K-On!
Minami-ke Okaeri
Minami-ke Betsubara
Ichigo Mashimaro encore
GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class
Kowarekake no Orgel
Kyou no Go no Ni (2009)
Kanamemo

(does not include shows which can have moe elements, like Shugo Chara Doki, Kimi ni Todoke, Clannad AS, but are not purely moe; i.e. Sato's so-called "atmospheric" anime. I'm not even sure if Minami-ke should be in this list, but oh well)

I also noted the "pure", fan-service-heavy shows:
Quote:

KissXSis
Queen`s Blade: Rurou no Senshi
Queen`s Blade: Gyokuza o Tsugu Mono
Aika Zero
Princess Lover!
Kodomo no Jikan: Ni Gakki
Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-Chan!!
Weiss Survive R
Aki Sora
Isshoni Training: Training with Hinako
Sora no Otoshimono
Kanokon: Manatsu no Daishanikusai

(excluding the many other shows which include the usual "bonus" ecchi moments, but are not reliant on them. Ironically also excludes most romances and harems)

I would point out:
Quote:

maria holic
shikabane hime kuro
Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th
Viper`s Creed
Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou
Fuyu no Sonata (winter sonata)
White Album 1
Whiite Album 2
Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo
Druaga no Tou: the Sword of Uruk
Kurokami
Kemono no Souja Erin
Major 5th Season
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode:02
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode: The Cipher
Examurai Sengoku
Koukaku no Regios
Ride Back
Slayers Evolution-R
Sora o Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai (Munto TV series)
Genji Monogatari Sennenki
Soukou Kihei Votoms: Pailsen Files - Gekijouban
Hetalia: Axis Powers
Afro Samurai Resurrection
Fresh Precure!
Denpa Teki na Kanojo
Street Fighter IV: Arata naru Kizuna
xxxHOLiC Shunmuki
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei
Hayate no Gotoku!!
Tsubasa Shunraiki
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
Kin`iro no Chord: Secondo Passo
Lupin Sansei vs Meitantei Conan
Chi`s Sweet Home: Atarashii Ouchi
Charady no Joke na Mainichi
Mainichi Kaa-san
Asura Cryin`
Asura Cryin` 2
Sengoku Basara
Basquash!
Higepiyo
Pandora Hearts
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Tears to Tiara
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen on television
Slap Up Party: Arad Senki
Cross Game
Dragon Ball Kai
Guin Saga
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Hanasakeru Seishounen
Konnichiwa Anne
Senjou no Valkyria: Valkyria Chronicles
Natsu no Arashi!
Shangri-La
07-Ghost
Higashi no Eden
To Heart 2 ad Plus
Hatsukoi Limited
Ristorante Paradiso
Tales of Symphonia The Animation: Tethe`alla Hen
Spcie and Wolf 2
Summer Wars
Utawarerumono OVA
First Squad
Aoi Hana
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Bakemonogatari
Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Taishou Yakyuu Musume
Canaan
Sora no Manimani
Kimi ni Todoke
Inuyasha Kanketsu-hen
Yume-iro Patissiere
Tegami Bachi
Tentai Senshi Sunred 2
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Sasameki Koto
Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini
Aoi Bungaku
Kuuchuu Buranko (Trapeze)
Toriko OVA

.. and on and on.... this small sample already exceeds those moeblob and pure-fanservice shows! This doesn't even include the shows which started at the end of 2008 with half a season or more in 2009 like Casshern Sins , Clannad AS, One Outs, Tytania, Michiko to Hatchin, etc

Quote:
Besides his point, japanese animation studio practices have to change. Sleeping at the studios has to stop, and hours need to be more acceptable to allow life outside of work. They must get into working to live, than out of loyalty etc, because when work becomes your whole life, a person is only existing. Thing is Sato is in the industry and is also in a position to perhaps start his own studio and make these changes that need to happen. if someone like himself doesn't lead, nothing will ever change.

I agree that the working conditions should be better. But I doubt he can do anything about unless he is seriously willing to take the initiative and get other people on board, invest tons of his own money to produce and bring to market, real anime with an alternative, production-committee-free business model. (although again, this is a different issue)
Beruda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I doubt seriously that he is alone in some of his views. I'm sure there are others in his industry who would agree with him.

I'm sure there will be anime and manga industry in Japan but I think he's lamenting the fact that the industry he loves is dying in some respects. The freshness and creativity that's needed is not there in his opinion.

The real issues of wages and such. How do you get new talent to come into an industry that has crap wages for the most part and always will for most of the people working in it? How do you get people to stay when you out source every thing? From the outside looking in it dosen't seem that the industry as a whole is very forward thinking.

And I don't think he's a pompus ass just because he thinks highly of his own work. He has an opinion just like anyone.

B.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
About anime showing how anime are made and all the troubles that come with that, there are some episodes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (check the first two seasons and the OAVs at least), too.

On the thread subject, I didn't make any statistic or stuff like that, but after more than 20 years of watching anime I can still find really good series (and also masterpieces like Gurren Lagann, which has everything: from plot and characters to awesome animation and even fanservice).
So, I'm not worried.

After all, also Disney "died", then Pixar came and now it's as good as before, if not better (really, every Pixar movie is at least very good, if not a masterpiece... it's becoming scary Shocked ).

In other words: good writers/animator will always exist, but we could have to search for them in different places (or studios). Wink

P.S. On another hand, I would also like to add than "serious" isn't always good, and sometimes more mainstream stories like One Piece or Fullmetal Alchemist (I'm talking more about the manga here, even if their anime adaptations, the second one in FMA case, aren't so bad) can be better and have more value than the supposed "serious" stories.
After all, we can't have something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes everyday, and even that was entertaining, other than truly deep and full of contents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Rather than making something that is actually good, he feels like his own style of uniqueness separates itself from the apparent bandwagon of looks > quality storytelling.

That said, if people took him at face value, then everybody would be trying to ape his style, then we'd be right back into the same creative rut.

That also said, I hate when people say "X" is gonna happen in "Y" number of decades, as if the current trend is going to continue until they toss themselves off a cliff.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
~nanashi~ wrote:
They have been talking about the "Death" of the Anime Industry for years now. That thought has lingered in the back of my mind for so long, could it really be happening? I don't mean to be dramatic in any way but it has been brought up more then once, from running out of ideas for a show to poor sales. The sheer mention of this puts my stomach in knots. Where is the Industry really headed?
Personally I think the industry is on the upswing and anime is actually better, and there's more of it than 3-5 years ago. By upswing I mean that whatever negative impact piracy has introduced into the industry, some improvements have been made to more effectively deal with it. I feel this is a normal course of events with a transition from a physical media based (ie DVDs) industry to one that is (and will be) increasingly dominated by online content. The slump was more an effect of working out the kinks of this transition, and while it may never be perfect and it's still far from it I think we are headed for a new Golden Age of anime that could rival the boom seen in the 80's.
configspace wrote:
.. and on and on.... this small sample already exceeds those moeblob and pure-fanservice shows! This doesn't even include the shows which started at the end of 2008 with half a season or more in 2009 like Casshern Sins , Clannad AS, One Outs, Tytania, Michiko to Hatchin, etc
So basically it's not that there are actually more "moeblob" shows, it's that acceptance for them continues to rise (and a small portion of them receive good acclaim) so they happen to attract more attention. It's the people who are not fans of moe and fanservicey comedies who seem to be voicing their concern and falsely reporting claims that moe is taking over or something. Regardless, the list seems to indicate that the presence of moe and bishoujo shows has absolutely no impact on fans of other genreas like mecha and action. I can safely conclude the anti-moers are just a bunch of overreacting fans themselves.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

there are other things then being in a highschool japan ^_-

(I'm not in high school in Japan if that's what you were trying to say there at the end?)

I think he was talking about almost every anime being set in a japanese high school, and imho conveying a very limited and simplistic vision of the world (its setting/society/the country... etc)

Thanks, that makes more sense. You're probably right. Wink

It's a trite comment at this point, but it would be nice to see less shows about Japanese high school kids and more about . . . something else. It's obviously appropriate since they're trying to appeal to a certain demographic, but I would think even Japanese high school kids would eventually get sick of seeing depictions of themselves. Consumption shows that's just what lots of otaku like to gobble up, though . . . . It would be interesting to see if that trend would shift if more international hands got involved.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your hard work there, configspace. Confirmed my own suspicions. And as an aside, I've only seen one of the shows tagged as moe there - and it was totally subversive and hilarious, and got rave reviews here at ANN (Strawberry Marshmallow). I hate the term 'moeblob.' It's a fun idea to make fun of - like in Welcome to the NHK! - but seriously, how many anime have any of us actually seen that seriously went like that?

- Pips
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
(does not include shows which can have moe elements, like Shugo Chara Doki, Kimi ni Todoke, Clannad AS, but are not purely moe; i.e. Sato's so-called "atmospheric" anime. I'm not even sure if Minami-ke should be in this list, but oh well)

Quote:
(excluding the many other shows which include the usual "bonus" ecchi moments, but are not reliant on them. Ironically also excludes most romances and harems)

Well yeah obviously if you do that. You're being tremendously misleading though with that list. You're choosing some awfully narrow definitions to suit your point. If you look at the post you were responding to, he did say not just moe but also harem shows and cliched cash ins in general (basically the kind of shows that Sato is complaining about). You've also gone ahead and included every little couple minute special and little think you can possibly add. It's not exactly fair to throw in some of these long running shows either.

I think if you actually make a fair comparison and exclude all that okaku crap and also all the little meaningless stuff you get something more like this:

maria holic
shikabane hime kuro
Viper`s Creed
Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou
Fuyu no Sonata (winter sonata)
Druaga no Tou: the Sword of Uruk
Kemono no Souja Erin
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode:02
Ride Back
Genji Monogatari Sennenki
Soukou Kihei Votoms: Pailsen Files - Gekijouban
Afro Samurai Resurrection
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
Sengoku Basara
Basquash!
Pandora Hearts
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Slap Up Party: Arad Senki
Cross Game
Guin Saga
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Natsu no Arashi!
Shangri-La
07-Ghost
Higashi no Eden
Ristorante Paradiso
Summer Wars
Utawarerumono OVA
First Squad
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Canaan
Tegami Bachi
Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini
Aoi Bungaku
Kuuchuu Buranko (Trapeze)

It's not that much. Certainly there's still a decent number of titles there but without a doubt it's outweighed by all the otaku crap.
GarrettCRW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
Sato has extremely good reason to worry about outsourcing in Japanese animation. The history of American TV animation is littered with examples of shoddy work by artists who either lack the ability or lack the emotional investment in the material. (And that doesn't even take into account the horrors that have happened in camera rooms across the globe.) America hasn't seen a 2D cartoon produced completely in the country in 21 years (and then it was only being done by Filmation, a studio so fanatical about keeping the work in America that they told TMS where to stick their pens after one season of their Zorro series), and the day is slowly approaching where the entire industry only knows about sending the model sheets, layouts, storyboards and voice tracks off to some country and essentially praying that it isn't a disaster. Granted, Japan doesn't have the legacy of unionized labor among its artists that America has (and the relatively high wages that go along with it), so the push for cost savings has not been as severe as it has been here, but it's still an issue nonetheless.

I do disagree with the disdain for merchandising, though. Selling swag based on a cartoon show (or even the reverse, IMO) isn't a bad thing-in fact, it's a sign that people like what you're doing! The problem starts, though, when merchandising concerns override creative concerns. It was that sort of thing that led to Mickey Mouse becoming excessively bland after about 1933 or so up until MouseWorks and House of Mouse-Disney got piles of angry letters any time a new cartoon featured the Mouse doing anything even slightly "mean". It happens a lot with the US toy shows (just look at the modern Transformers shows and compare what they do to what Sunbow was crazy enough to do in the 1986 movie with Prime, Starscream, and Megatron), and I'm sure it happens with many a Japanese show, as well.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
It's not really like anime and manga merchandising is anything new, though. There's been character goods produced since the days of Ma-chan's Diary afaik, and probably earlier. That's 1947.

-Pips
Bingal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
He sounds awfully bitter, but nonetheless does provide some good points. Personally, I feel that the market is becoming very insular.
ShadowRayden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
This is what I think of American TV and its reality shows. As I rely on Anime to escape the drabs of american television this comes as a complete surprise. Question
ragnawind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
My opinion is this:
Anime will not die out unless there comes a time when there are few to no fans. That just doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon. There are too many fans for it to die out so easily. Also, even with anime that comes out in japan lately, there is still a fanbase for it that is rather large in and of itself. It is just that anime is currently trying to adapt to the modern era. They will start getting better after a period of experimentation.

Dark Paladin X wrote:
Another reason is adaption of computer technology that gives out more realistic animation than the traditional style of anime.

Most people I know prefer anime style graphics over CG. It just looks more appealing, to most of them at least. It is more colorful. Oftentimes, people watch anime because it doesn't look realistic and most of the time, their themes aren't realistic. That it was makes anime so entertaining.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Sato is just saying:

"Ok yo, anime should tell a good story, and nowadays thats the last thing they do, so if you dicktwats keep it up, we're gunna be dead like MJ. Sayonara"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9