• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Farewell Satoshi Kon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
He's backed by a Yoko Kanno score as well as the character designs and animation talent of Hiroyuki Okiura.

Actually, it's Toshiyuki Inoue did the character designs for Magnetic Rose. Okiura was one of the animators. They have the same realistic style, so it's easy to get mixed up.
straydogrenji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Nice article, especially the part about Magnetic Rose.

Small typo on Osamu Dazai's name, though.
ZajoII

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Such an amazing idea; kudos to ANN for this series.

The only one of these works I've seen is Memories. Even though I felt like the last two segments of the film kind of wasted my time, Magnetic Rose was amazing. It's sometimes easy to feel like Kon directed it, even though he didn't: his style is all over that film.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Great article. Magnetic Rose is one of my all time favorite segments. It's short, but it grabs you and never lets go. Memories are a whole is wonderful, but the other segments still pale next to Magnetic Rose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm being linked here from the article on Millennium Actress. Also, throughout said article, Kon's name has been turned into K!On, making it unintentionally hilarious. Might wanna fix those glitches. Wink
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one for whom "K-ON!" appears where "Kon" should be ten times in the article?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Am I the only one for whom "K-ON!" appears where "Kon" should be ten times in the article?

I'm getting that too. It threw me for a loop at first, but now I think it's kind of funny.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Great article Justin. This is my favoraite Kon movie of all and of the majority of people that I know.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
It's all been fixed. There will be a new thread for this third installment.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
I sure would love to add Toriko, Kaikisen, World Apartment, and Run Melos! to my collection.

it's impossible for me to not agree with this. great article! thanks very much for your research.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
A nice first part to the tribute series. It was great being able to relate and recognize the early works of Satoshi Kon, as I had previously seen Roujin Z (which I liked better than Akira), several episodes of Run Melos! and Magnetic Rose (both titles as fansubs), but have never stumbled across any of his manga. I guess I had lots of exposure to Satoshi Kon greatness over the years without knowing he worked on those other titles. Which is probably why I became such a fan of his upon seeing Perfect Blue (at BAAF 2001 in NYC as the U.S. theatrical premiere and showcasing this bright new director named Kon).

A British anime mag, can't remember the name of it, that I got a hold of had a feature article on Satoshi, praising Perfect Blue. I was drawn to his art style and thematic elements that I read about, so even before Perfect Blue premiered in the U.S., I already regarded him as a great talent alongside other well established artists of the time such as Kenichi Sonoda, Katsuhiro Otomo and Masamune Shirow.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
These articles are possibly the best thing ANN has ever done, so I'm glad they're being reposted.

Although I will admit that some of my happiness with this is due to not having to look at the Milky Holmes artwork every time I visit the site now.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Satoshi Kon did any other shorts such as the one-minute long anime he did for the birthday of NHK?

GATSU posted this originally a couple months ago:

http://www.catsuka.com/news_detail.php?id=1283096815&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Since this short isn't currently credited in the ANN Encyclopedia (under the "Satoshi Kon" entry), I was wondering if there were other shorts out there that Kon developed ... if anyone knows.

I think it's called Ani*Kuri 15, which is listed in the Encylopedia as a title for a special (with 3 seasons?), but the creators involved aren't listed off that main entry either -- except Makato Shinkai, or clicking around you can find a few other creators in news reports, but again I don't see them in the main entry. (If I'm reading the entries correctly.)

So ... um ... any others? Because this one is awesome.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
I think it's called Ani*Kuri 15, which is listed in the Encylopedia as a title for a special (with 3 seasons?), but the creators involved aren't listed off that main entry either -- except Makato Shinkai, or clicking around you can find a few other creators in news reports, but again I don't see them in the main entry. (If I'm reading the entries correctly.)
I went ahead and added the directors on the main entry for Ani-Kuri 15.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
On a related note, just found out November is Pancreatic Cancer Month. So if you have, know someone, or are directly affected by someone with the disease, you can contribute your story here. If it helps, Patrick Swayze's wife has already submitted her video on the ailment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3