• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Licensed/dubbed anime - wishlist?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Scratch off Soredemo Machi wa Mawatieru off my list as well. Now licensed as, And the Town Moves, by Sentai.

dandudeamiga wrote:
XXghostface wrote:
I wanna see Bakemonogatari get licensed.

Agree! This is a hot show and still no one in the US will license this? Maybe I'm missing something?

Must have english dub, too!

It's a mystery to me as well. All I can think of is because the series was so successful in Japan the company that holds the rights there is asking more than any sane US company is willing to pay to get the series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, there is a ton of titles on my licensing wish list, so I'm going to restrict it to my Top 5 wants from only 2011:

5. Dog Days - this show is cuter than a basket of fluffy puppies. The goofy humour totally worked for me spoiler[(I.e. in her rousing speech before a big battle, Princess Floppy Ears asks, "Did everybody get a good night's sleep? Did everybody have a good breakfast?)]

4. Kamisama Dolls - Interesting premise and I liked the characters a ton. Utao's facial expressions - priceless. Hibino's hubba-hubbas - awe-inspiring.

3. AnoHana - cute and heartbreaking. I was a sucker for Menma.

2. Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko - Shinbo. Shaft. Buriki. Sexy aunt. Sexy cousin. Off-beat humour. This - bring it to me.

1. Usagi Drop - wonderful slice-of-life. Yard-apes are not my favourite thing in real life or anime, but this one almost made me rethink my child-less ways. Almost.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I will never ask for anything else if we get Dennou Coil on BluRay over here.

Might never happen, at least not any time soon, since JP BDs aren't coming out until next month, but I can dream, right?

But if I could be greedy (or in case of no DC), Eve no Jikan, Aoi Bungaku, and Michiko & Hatchin would all be sure buys for me. I'd probably buy Denpa Onna, as well, and Mawaru Penguindrum is awesome so far, so if it stays strong I'd love to see it become available over here. Also still have fingers crossed for eventual affordable release of KnK...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
A few people have mentioned Dennou Coil. You know, it has been licensed, although subtitled only and you need an all region player. Part 1 can be ordered here while the second half will be available in December.

People should make themselves familiar with the Madman and Siren Visual catalogues. These Australian companies are not simply clones of their American counterparts. Madman, in particular, has a vast back catalogue of titles, including from ADV, that are still available. Both companies ship overseas.

I would like to see Time of Eve and the Nodame Cantabile franchise released on DVD and Haibane Renmei and Serial Experiments Lain license rescued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Seconding, thirding, whater Banner of the Stars III, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Dennou Coil, Mononoke, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Bakemonogatari and propably a whole bunch of others too. The second season of Sengoku Basara would be nice too.

I believe Funimation has the licensing rights to this already. They second season is available to watch via Hulu. It just has yet to be dubbed. Though, I really hope they get around to that soon. I immensely enjoyed the first season's dub.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
For those interested in Time of Eve, there is a Japanese BD that has English subtitles and it doesn't cost the Earth:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B004I4SBKK

I own a copy and I'm quite happy with it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to order but it's all... er, Japanese, to me.

Could you guide me through how to order to it. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
It's actually pretty easy (although I managed to screw up the first time I tried it Embarassed ). Look over at the right hand side of the page - see the box that says Quantity: 1? Click on the button right below that. From there, you should get enough English instruction to guide you through.

Good luck!
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
A few people have mentioned Dennou Coil. You know, it has been licensed, although subtitled only and you need an all region player. Part 1 can be ordered here while the second half will be available in December.
Good news for people who still buy DVD, but I'm hoping for BD because Dennou Coil's artwork deserves HD.

Cool that they're offering Tatami Galaxy, too.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Lucky Aussies. Crying or Very sad

Sorry, but I'm not comfortable with buying imports.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
5. Dog Days - this show is cuter than a basket of fluffy puppies.

Yeah, until it also tries to be a fanservice anime with lesbianism used as an audience titillation device. It also completely lacks any artistic or plot creativity.

But anyway, my list right now of things I really want dubbed...

- AnoHana
- Blue Exorcist
- Magical Pokaan
- Panty and Stocking
- Nyanpire
- Damekko Dobutsu
- Tiger and Bunny
- Tokyo Mew Mew
- The Animal Crossing movie
- Bunny Drop
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Generic #757858 wrote:
The second season of Sengoku Basara would be nice too.

I believe Funimation has the licensing rights to this already. They second season is available to watch via Hulu. It just has yet to be dubbed. Though, I really hope they get around to that soon. I immensely enjoyed the first season's dub.

Thanks, guess I'll wait for a while longer.

As for license rescues, I'd love to see both Dai-Guard and Armored Trooper Votoms get re-released. The boxsets for both those shows (especially Votoms) are becoming increasingly rare and expensive.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
Forgot to mention in my last post--Tokyo Mew Mew would be an epic rescue. Funimation saved One Piece, and I think Mia Ikumi should trust them and let them do an actual dub of TMM, unlike 4Kids' godawful hackjob rewrite mess of media diarrhea.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Blood- wrote:
5. Dog Days - this show is cuter than a basket of fluffy puppies.

Yeah, until it also tries to be a fanservice anime with lesbianism used as an audience titillation device. It also completely lacks any artistic or plot creativity.

Oh, bullshit. There are a few drops of fan service over the course of the entire series, but that's it. And lesbianism? That's a total stretch. Anyone who tries to characterize it that way obviously has deep psychological issues. Lack of plot creativity is a more subjective opinion - I personally thought it had plenty of it, but hey that's just me.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Oh, don't even pretend that fanservice isn't one of the main draws of the series. Nearly all its promotional artwork is fanservice, and no one had anything good to say about it until the second episode when not one but two characters explosively lost clothing, then people immediately started praising it.

On a side-note, someone really needs to inform Square about the show's blatant Chocobo ripoffs, that can't be legal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13