• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa
You are first in line. You will have to be patient as I need to have the new version in hand before I turn loose of the first. Remind me when you see that the new version has shipped.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I don't mind waiting, I have plenty of anime I need to watch in the meantime, heh, I have a serious backlog issue here.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well, shit, since we're on page 110...

ANIME LIST

Priority of Purchases for 2014 wrote:
  • Gatchaman Crowds (Sentai)
  • Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai (Siren Visual)
  • Kill la Kill (Aniplex)
  • Natsume Yuujinchou S3 & S4 (NISA)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANIME PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Pre-ordered / Pledged / Waiting) (Purchased) (Lower purchase priority) (Stream/rent first) (Sold / gave away)

Anime Eigo
(Yawara!)
(Kimagure Orange Road)

------

Aniplex of America
1. Kill la Kill

(Baccano!, Madoka Magica the Movie Collector's Edition (Import), Madoka Magica the Movie Rebellion Collector's Edition (Import), Puella Magi Madoka Magica LE)
(Gurren Lagann movie 1, Gurren Lagann movie 2, Kara no Kyoukai, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal)

------

Bandai Entertainment
1. Toward the Terra

(Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II, The Big O, The Big O II, Crest of the Stars, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Fantastic Children, Flag, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Gurren Lagann, Infinite Ryvius, Outlaw Star, Planetes, Scrapped Princess)
(.hack//sign, 5cm/Sec, Argento Soma, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, G Gundam, Gundam 08th MS Team, Gundam Char's Counterattack, Gundam Zeta, Hayate the Combat Butler, Junkers Come Here, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, My-Hime, My-Otome, Ronin Warriors, Silent Mobius, Wolf's Rain)

------

Bandai Visual USA
(Patlabor: The Movie, Patlabor 2: The Movie)
(Gunbuster, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise)

------

Buena Vista (Disney)
1. Porco Rosso
2. My Neighbor Totoro

(Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (BD), Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart (BD), Whisper of the Heart)

------

Central Park Media (U.S. Manga Corps branch)
1. Descendants of Darkness

(Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then Here and There, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, They Were 11)
(Garzey's Wing, Votoms)

------

Discotek Media (Eastern Star)
1. Bokurano
2. Adieu Galaxy Express 999

(Galaxy Express 999, Love Com)
(CCS: The Movie, Demon City Shinjuku, DNAngel, GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka, Lupin the 3rd, Mad Bull 34, Samurai Pizza Cats, Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, Sea Prince and the Fire Child)

------

FUNimation
1. Wolf Children (BD)

(Attack on Titan (BD), Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Eden of the East (BD), Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic! TSR (BD), Haibane Renmei, Kaleido Star, Kamisama Kiss (BD), Lupin III: Fujiko Mine (BD), Princess Jellyfish (BD), Psycho-Pass (BD), Shiki (BD), Slayers, Spice & Wolf S1 (BD), Spice & Wolf S2 (BD), Soul Eater (BD), Steins;Gate (BD), Summer Wars (BD))
(Black Lagoon (BD), Ghost in the Shell: Arise (BD), Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU (BD), Kaleido Star: New Wings, X TV Series)
(Appleseed XIII, B Gata H Kei, Basilisk, [C] - Control, Chrono Crusade, Claymore, Darker Than Black, Desert Punk, Eden of the East movies, El Cazador de la Bruja, FREE!, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, GARO, Gungrave, Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate, Kurau: Phantom Memory, Michiko and Hatchin, Nabari no Ou, Noir, Noragami, Oh! Edo Rocket, One Piece, Ouran High School Host Club, PSYCHO-PASS 2, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Serial Experiments Lain, Trigun, Yona of the Dawn, Yu Yu Hakusho)
(Baccano!, Heroic Age (BD), Origin: Spirits of the Past)

FUNimation/Geneon USA Agreement:
(Black Lagoon, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha A's, Story of Saiunkoku, When They Cry)

------

Geneon USA (formerly Pioneer Entertainment)

Geneon/Pioneer (pre-collapse):
(3x3 Eyes, Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card, Last Exile, Paranoia Agent)
(Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, Koi Kaze, Requiem from the Darkness, Rumiko Takahashi: Anthology, Zipang)

------

[AU] Madman Entertainment
(Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday)

------

Manga Entertainment
1. Redline (BD)
2. Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG

(Dante's Inferno, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Noein, Rayearth)
(Dead Leaves)

------

Media Blasters
1. Giant Robo
2. YamiBou
3. Magic User's Club
4. Ai no Kusabi
5. Iria: Zeiram the Animation
6. Phoenix
7. Shinesman

(Figure 17, GaoGaiGar, Magic Knight Rayearth S1, Magic Knight Rayearth S2, Moribito, Otogi Zoshi, Rurouni Kenshin, Simoun, Strawberry Panic, Tekkaman Blade, Tweeny Witches, The Twelve Kingdoms)
(Blade of the Immortal, Fushigi Yugi, Gokusen, Kashimashi, Mazinkaiser SKL, Moribito (BD), Squid Girl, Shamanic Princess, Twelve Kingdoms (BD))

------

New Video Group
1. RWBY Vol. 2 (BD)
2. Patema Inverted (BD)
3. Mononoke

------

NISA
1. Uchouten Kazoku
2. Natsume Yuujinchou S3, S4
3. Toradora!
4. House of Five Leaves

(Anohana, Bunny Drop, Cardcaptor Sakura, Katanagatari, Kimi ni Todoke S1 (Part 1), Natsume Yuujinchou S1 & S2)
(Hanasaku Iroha, Zakuro)

------

The Right Stuf International

Nozomi Entertainment
(Aria S1, Boogiepop Phantom, His and Her Circumstances, Emma: A Victorian Romance, Emma: A Victorian Romance 2nd Act, Martian Successor Nadesico, Revolutionary Girl Utena, The Rose of Versailles, Shingu, The Third)
(Aria, Dirty Pair, Maria Watches Over Us, Piano, Tyler)
(Sound of the Sky)

Lucky Penny
1. Aoi Hana

(Hyakko)

------

Section 23 / Sentai Filmworks (Previously A.D. Vision)

ADV Films
(Full Metal Panic!)

Maiden Japan
1. Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1/1988)

(New Dominion Tank Police, Patlabor TV series, Vampire Princess Miyu)

Section 23
(Angelic Layer, Blue Seed, Five Star Stories, Ghost Stories, Kino's Journey, Le Chevalier de Eon, Petite Princess Yucie)
(Nadia)
(Neon Genesis Evangelion, RahXephon)

Sentai Filmworks
1. From the New World (BD)
2. Chaika the Coffin Princess
3. Gatchaman Crowds (BD)
4. Bodacious Space Pirates (BD)
5. Another (BD)
6. Mardock Scramble 2nd/3rd (BD)

(Colorful (BD), Destiny of the Shrine Maiden, Garden of Words (BD), Glass Mask, Mardock Scramble: 1st Compression (BD), Orphen, Penguin Drum (BD), Shigofumi, TARI TARI, tsuritama (BD), Utakata)
(Girls und Panzer, Ghost Hound, Kids on the Slope (BD), Le Portrait de Petit Cossette)
(AKB0048, Angel Beats!, Book of Bantorra, Chunibuyo, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Hidamari Sketch, Kokoro Connect, Living for the Day After Tomorrow, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Space Brothers, You're Under Arrest)
(Penguin Drum (Part 1) (BD), Taisho Baseball Girls)

------

[AU] Siren Visual:
1. Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai
2. Monster

(Chihayafuru, Dennou Coil, Genius Party, Kaiba, Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy)
(Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, Welcome to Irabu's Office)

------

VIZ Media:
1. Sailor Moon
2. Tiger and Bunny

(Sailor Moon LE vol 1)
(Honey and Clover, Monster, NANA)

------

Voyager Entertainment:
1. Star Blazers 2199

~~~~~~

Anime Sols:
(Dear Brother set 2, Dear Brother set 3)
(Dear Brother set 1)

------

Kickstarter:
(Anime News Nina book, Wakfu, Under the Dog)
(Kick Heart, Time of Eve: The Movie, Town of Salem game (1st & 2nd kickstarter))

Last edited by Crisha on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:45 pm; edited 15 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
MANGA LIST

Priority of Purchases for 2013 wrote:
  • Appleseed (Dark Horse)
  • Eden: It's An Endless World (Dark Horse)
  • Immortal Rain (Tokyopop)
  • No. 6 (Kodansha)
  • Parasyte (Kodansha)
  • Soul Eater (Yen Press)
  • Whispered Words (One Peace)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MANGA PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Pre-ordered / Pledged / Waiting) (Purchased) (Lower purchase priority) (HAHA SUCKER) (Legal scans / library) (Sold / gave away)

ADV Manga
(Chrono Crusade)

------

CMX
1. The Palette of 12 Secret Colors

(Emma)
(Astral Project, Cipher, Madara, Moon Child, The Name of the Flower, The Recipe for Gertrude, Tower of the Future, Two Flowers for the Dragon)
(Musashi No. 9 - it's incomplete AND long)

------

Dark Horse
1. Eden: It's an Endless World (v. 13, 14)
2. Appleseed (v. 2-4)
3. Cardcaptor Sakura
4. Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service - I will buy more as it becomes available

(3x3 Eyes (v. 3-8), Appleseed (v. 1), Clover, Eden: It's an Endless World (v. 1-12), Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (v. 1-13), Magic Knight Rayearth, Translucent)
(Hellsing, MPD Psycho)
(Blood+, Chobits)

------

Del Ray
1. ES Eternal Sabbath

(Moyasimon, Nodame Cantabile, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei)
(Mushi-shi - you're gonna pay out the nose for volumes 6 & 7)
(Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (v. 1-3), xxxHolic (v. 1-3))

------

Digital Manga Publishing
(Flower of Life - haha, volume 4)

------

DRAWN & QUARTERLY
(Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths, Push Man & Other Stories, Red Snow, A Single Match)

------

FANTAGRAPHICS
1. Wandering Son
2. A Drunken Dream and Other Short Stories

(Heart of Thomas)

------

FIRST SECOND
(Color of Earth)

------

Go Comi
1. After School Nightmare

(Her Majesty's Dog)

------

Kodansha:
1. Parasyte (v. 7)
2. No. 6 (v. 8+)
3. Sailor Moon (v. 1-6)
4. Vinland Saga (v. 2)
5. Codename: Sailor V

(No. 6 (v. 1-6), Parasyte (v. 1-6, 8), Sailor Moon (v. 7-12), Vinland Saga (v. 1))
(Attack on Titan)
(Cage of Eden, Mardock Scramble)
(Attack on Titan (v. 1), Sailor Moon (v. 1-2))

------

ONE PEACE:
1. Whispered Words (v. 2+)
2. Breathe Deeply
3. Ten Ken

(Whispered Words (v. 1))

------

PICTUREBOX:
(Garden)

------

Seven Seas:
(Girl Friends)
(Kashimashi, Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossoms, Laddertop, Toradora!, Voiceful)

------

TokyoPop:
1. Immortal Rain (v. 3, 4, 7, 8)
2. FAKE (v. 3, 6)
3. Mars (v. 13-15)
4. Tramps Like Us
5. Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 2-4)

(FAKE (v. 1-2, 4-5, 7), Fruits Basket, Immortal Rain (v. 1-2, 5, 6), Magic Knight Rayearth, Mars (v. 1-12), Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 1))
(Dragon Knights, Kare Kano)
(Banner of the Stars, Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Crest of the Stars, Dragon Knights (v. 5), Girl Got Game (v. 1-5), Gorgeous Carat (v. 1), Kindaichi Case Files (v. 1-5), Marmalade Boy (v. 5-8))

------

TOP SHELF:
(AX: A Collection of Alternative Manga 1)

------

Vertical:
(7 Billion Needles, Sakuran, Twin Spica)
(Chi's Sweet Home, Helter Skelter, No Longer Human, Paradise Kiss, Velveteen & Mandala)
(Apollo's Song, Dororo, The Drops of God, Lychee Light Club, Message to Adolf, MW, To Terra)
(Limit, The Flowers of Evil (v. 1))

------

VIZ:
1. Afterschool Charisma (v. 6+)
2. Dorohedoro (v. 4+)
3. Library Wars (v. 4+)
4. All My Darling Daughters
5. Solanin
6. Kamisama Kiss (v. 1-7, 11+)
7. Love Com
8. Kaze Hikaru (v. 4, 6+)
9. Banana Fish (v. 1-14)

(20th Century Boys, 21st Century Boys, A, A', Afterschool Charisma (v. 1-5), Banana Fish (v. 15-19), Basara, Cross Game, Dorohedoro (v. 1-3), From Far Away, Kamisama Kiss (v. 8-10), Kaze Hikaru (v. 1-3, 5), Library Wars (v. 1-3), Monster, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Please Save My Earth, Story of Saiunkoku, Uzumaki)
(Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden, House of Five Leaves, Kingyo Used Books, Maison Ikkoku, Rurouni Kenshin, Skip Beat!, Video Girl Ai)
(Bokurano: Ours, Pluto, Saturn Apartments)
(Descendants of Darkness (v. 1-4, 6-8, 10), Fushigi Yugi (v. 1-8), Maison Ikkoku (v. 10, 12-15), Ranma 1/2 (v. 1-9, 12-14), Uzumaki (v. 1))

------

Yen Press:
1. Soul Eater (v. 13, 16-18, 20+)
2. A Bride's Story (v. 3+)
3. Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 4+)
4. With the Light (v. 7-8)
5. Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something

(A Bride's Story (v. 1-2), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Soul Eater (v. 1-12, 14, 15, 19), Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 1-3), With the Light (v. 1-6))
(Higurashi: When They Cry, Maximum Ride, Romeo x Juliet, Spiral)

Last edited by Crisha on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:50 pm; edited 13 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
I'd definitely get Tiger and Bunny. I initially dismissed it, but boy was I wrong. It's one of my favourite shows of recent years, and very rarely for me, I love the English dub as well. (I'm generally not a dub fan at all) The dynamic between all the characters is amazing, and I really enjoyed the whole principle of "corporate superheroes.

As for your manga list, please buy Drops of God! Vertical aren't allowed to release any more unless the sales improve. Plus it's amazing and really fun to read too. I heard that Message to Adolf was going OOP soon so might be worth jumping on that. It's also a really good story too.

If you liked Girl Friends, I'd recommend getting Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink by the same author. It's sweet and cute, but there's more than one couple to enjoy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:01 am Reply with quote
What??? No Kanokon in your Media Blasters wish list??? Oh wait, that probably just means that you already own and treasure it. Wink

Pisses me off that I didn't buy the TV + OVA set before it went OOP.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
@willag: I noticed you had Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise as wanting to purchase the BVUSA release which is out of print. The film has been re-released on DVD and BD by Maiden Japan. It has little in the way of extras but as I recall the BVUSA release also had little in the way of on-disc extra content (as opposed to the old Manga DVD release which has tons of extra content but looks like total crap on an HD TV). I just watched my copy and was very pleased with the vast improvement in picture quality, and it only cost me $21.59 (40% publisher sale + GotAnime) from TRSI.

Actually I just looked at Amazon and they are selling the older BD release for $39.95, it includes a DVD copy with both discs in a slipcase. They have a limited number left (it's actually sold by an associated seller with fulfillment by Amazon so qualifies for free shipping).
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
@willag
Hooray! Your list is up! I always have fun commenting on these. I'm going for the manga list first!

CMX
Palette of 12 Secret Colors is a truly fantastic hidden gem. Recipe for Gertrude is the same author, but if you only get one, Palette is the no-brainer. Two Flowers for the Dragon was never completed (one freakin' volume short).
Astral Project was decent, but weird as all hell. It kind of ended right when it seemed like it might get a plot, but that was never the purpose of the series anyway. Not sure if I'll re-read it or not.
Cipher is one of my favorites by them. Bewarned, the amount of sheer 80s ness is a delicious slice of cheese as the mangaka clearly researched the hell out of 80s America (and constantly talks about 80s American musicians in her quarter columns), but the 80s cheese was icing on the cake for me. As a shojo drama though, it's just really damn good, about a pair of twins struggling to find their own identity.

DelRey
I expect ES to be rare to find in the future. Get it asap. Also, just get any volumes of Mushishi you can, it's not like you need them all to understand the story. Though with the new anime, just go for that instead (I am so very excite for it!)

Dark Horse
I personally hated what I read of Bride of the Water God. The art was fantastic, but damn if the story wasn't the biggest mess out there. I'd rent it from the library first. I'd go for the similar but vastly superior Goong from Yen Press instead.

Digital Manga Publishing
Why in the hell don't you have a category for these guys? You need to get the Tezuka books they released and the Fumi Yoshinaga they released for starters!

Go Comi
I recently got and read After School Nightmare and man, that is was a special sort of manga I'd definitely recommend to anyone. It's weird, but really really awesome.

Seven Seas
I've rented Laddertop from the library before. I think it's decent, but not worth a buy. Especially because Seven Seas is being confusing as all hell with the release. It went vol 1, then vol 1-2, no vol 2, so it makes me question wtf is up with that.

Vertical
I'd hurry up on To Terra and Apollo's Song, well known that they're out of print now. I'd also add pink to your list, same author as Helter Skelter, but I preferred pink more. Also, add What Did You Eat Yesterday? because being by Fumi Yoshinaga is a guarantee of being good.

Viz
You have a Fumi Yoshinaga there! Good, get it! Actually, Tokyopop published some under Blu, get those too. Just get all the Yoshinaga, man, it's faster. She's the only modern mangaka where just seeing her name is enough for me to go "I don't need to read what it's about, I'm going to end up buying it anyway".
I don't care how much Banana Fish costs, it is WORTH it! I'll keep an eye out for that last volume for you. And you really can't skip a volume here, the whole series just feels like one long chapter, it doesn't feel like there's a single wasted page. It's my very favorite series, out of anime and manga combined.
I recently startedSkip Beat myself, with those cheapo 3-in-1s. Why did I start this sooner? It has that shonen thing where they keep improving, except instead of fighting, it's acting, but damn if it's not just as addictive. And there's cheap 3-in-1s up to 21 now, hooray!

Now on to the anime
Aniplex
Those Gurren Lagann movies really aren't worth it. They're mostly recaps, sub only, and god-awful expensive. If you get the big shiny BD version that comes with them, then sure, but I wouldn't go out of your way.

Bandai
Toward the Terra is still cheap now, so get it now! It's easy to get it all through second hand sellers and it's an amazing series that sadly has a snowball's chance in hell of getting license rescued. You should get Junkers before it's too late too. It's directed by Junichi Sato, and you know how shiny a name that is!
I saw Gunbuster recently and really really liked it. I could see it not being for everyone, but I adored it.
Some of that other stuff on the list got license rescued, so Argentosoma, My-Hime, hack//sign, that can wait. The Gundams are more in limbo though.

Central Park Media
Garzey's Wing is a truly special kind of awful. If you've never seen it before wow, just wow. It's really cheap too, you should have no problem getting it.
Ironically enough, you put one of CPM's worst next to one of CPM's best. Sure, I'm a fan of 80s scifi mecha and that must've contributed to it a lot, but I loved VOTOMs and immediately sought out more Ryosuke Takahashi. You already own Flag, so that's good.

Discotek
Add Ringing Bell to your list, that's due to come out this year. Both it and Sea Prince and the Fire Child prove that Sanrio likes to make children cry. And is awesome as a result. They also did the Unico movies. I haven't seen one of them, but the Island of Magic movie is really really good. The other one was adapted from the manga in what I thought was one of the so-so chapters.
Mad Bull 34 is awful too, but I thought Garzey's Wing was more awful. But neither are as awful as Apocalypse Zero if you want true trash heaps (I forget who released that, but why the hell did they).
If you've really never seen or read GTO, it's often cited as the one high school comedy that people who hate high school comedies still like. There's a good reason for this: the main character is the badass ex-gang member teacher. Get it!!!
As for Lupin the 3rd, adult swim made the right decision to get Lupin's second series. The first one really isn't as good imo.

Funimation
I really disliked Kurau, but I know most people liked it.
Basilisk was a ton of fun for me. It's a Romeo and Juliet story with two murderous super ninja teams at each other's throats instead, what's not to love? Also, it's available on BD. It took me a bit to get the plot (because anything that takes place in feudal Japan instantly confuses me), but smarter people would probably catch on quicker. It's mindless fun at its best for sure.
Yu Yu Hakusho should be the called the shonen for people who think of them as dragging on forever. It's really good, actually. And freakishly well paced for a series made when the manga was still ongoing.
Trigun is a must for sure! The movie too, which is basically an extra-long episode.

Media Blasters
Magic User's Club is another Junichi Sato, you know that right? Even the same character designer as Princess Tutu, making me constantly go "DUCK! MYTHO!" when it's Sai and other characters, lol. I'd definitely prioritize getting this. The first half has that epic fun 6 ep-OVA 90s format they just don't do anymore. Second half is a TV series that takes directly on. Also fun, very well worth your time. Probably my second favorite Junichi Sato series after you know what.
Giant Robo is starting to slip out of print. It's still cheap or now, so get it asap. Phoenix is a fairly good adaptation on some of the stories, I say get that too. Shinesman was fun for me once, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Viz Media
Tiger and Bunny just hits so many right notes, it's ridiculous. I feel like everyone is falsely pointing at Space Dandy as anime's saviour when this came out a lot earlier and is a hell of a lot better in my opinion. Probably because it has both plot and character development and they're both done just so damn well. I ended up watching all of the second half in one go last night, I love it! Can't wait for the movie to come out stateside! It also has an amazing dub, why isn't this on Toonami right now? also, Viz publishes several manga. One is the series in manga form (I stick to the anime since it came first), one is the first movie in manga form (first movie mostly being recap), and one is this anthology of random shorts. I recommend that one because it's just seeing more of the characters we love, so I'd go for that one if you need more Tiger & Bunny goodness and you almost certainly will.
I am definitely going to watch this series several more times in the future, something I rarely seem to say these days, but Tiger & Bunny is one of the best anime to come out in recent years imho.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I love reading your lists!
I forget — what does black mean? Because Aoi Hana was really good, I thought (whereas Hyakko was disposable and completely missable).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Because Aoi Hana was really good, I thought (whereas Hyakko was disposable and completely missable).

I enjoyed both. Mind you, Hyakko was a title I saw relatively early in my anime career when everything was shiny and new and wonderful. I haven't watched my copy yet so I don't know if it will stand up when I do, but I definitely remember enjoying the comedy.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
Huh. There you go. I didn't see the point, but maybe the problem is me.

I felt the need to mention, given that willag's lists are just one genius good idea after another, and then I see Hyakko and think, "Does that really belong in this company?"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say the problem is anybody. All enjoyment of entertainment is subjective, but perhaps none more so than comedy. We've all encountered the "me, rolling on the ground, tears running down my face in hilarity - you, stone-faced" phenomenon. There's no right or wrong. I would agree that Hyakko is by no means a "classic" title the way many on willag's list are. However, I didn't want your dismissal of it to go unchallenged in case there are others out there who may fall more on my side than yours.

Sampling the first episode would probably be more than sufficient. Anyone who likes it will probably enjoy the rest just as anyone not onboard at that point is unlikely to ever be.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
I love reading your lists!
I forget — what does black mean? Because Aoi Hana was really good, I thought (whereas Hyakko was disposable and completely missable).

Thanks ailblentyn! People are welcome to use my formatting if they wish.

If the anime/manga is black with a number next to it, that's the estimated priority that I want to buy the series. So, basically, if it's black, I intend to buy it at some point. Of course, funds are limited and new releases keep coming out that become higher priority (i.e. Kamisama Kiss Goddess edition, Psycho Pass LE, and Madoka Magica movie 3 LE - I don't want to miss out because they're limited and so they immediately become top priority), so it's true that I may not ever be able to get all of them before they go OOP or whatever. I do go out of order sometimes - buying a #3 before a #1, because there's a sale, or my opinions have changed since I made the ranking and #3 should actually be a #1, or I suddenly have more of an interest for what #3 provides (like if #3 is a comedy and #1 is a horror, and at the time of purchase I'm just more in the mood for a comedy) - but the rankings are normally pretty accurate as to how much I want to get a series. Something else that also isn't specified on this list is how #1 rankings from different companies compare to one another. Limited editions always get the highest priority. Sentai and Media Blasters normally falls behind in the list because their releases are more barebones. Funi's releases tend to stay on the market longer, so I don't feel as pressured to buybuybuy ASAP (unless it's a LE for a series I really want). NISA and Nozomi normally tend to be high on my list because they bring out quality releases for series I enjoy at reasonable prices. Siren Visual is also high because they bring out series I really want that I don't expect to see a release in the US.

Purple is lower priority than black (the series don't even get ranked) - basically, I may buy 'em if I have the extra funds (or if I find a super cheap release of it... or if it suddenly goes into OOPOHSHITBUYTHISNOWORYOU'LLNEVEROWNTHIS and I panic and buy). This tends to be highly unlikely because there's a possibility I won't ever be able to get all of the black. Purple can be upgraded to black (as has happened a few times), but normally the reverse is more likely to happen - black being downgraded to purple - simply because I want to keep my lists manageable and something that was black doesn't have as much interest for anymore.

Of course, if I finally stream or rent a series it may be taken off the list entirely depending upon how much I liked it. Some of the series I have listed are blind buys (Lain, Oh! Edo Rocket, Kurau, everything on Manga Entertainment's and Media Blaster's lists, almost all of the movies), and I am pretty certain I want to own them because of recommendations and research I've done.

Anyways, I update my lists all of the time. Once I buy something on the list, I come to my latest post on this thread and update it. I like reposting a newer copy of the list every once in a while so that I don't have keep digging back pages just to get to my latest post. I don't want to spam the thread either though, so I try to wait awhile before I post again.

Making lists (and doing statistics on lists) is something I enjoy doing. Very Happy

@classicalzawa - I really enjoy it every time you respond to my lists, because you always give good recommendations for me to look further into to see if I want to add. Sometimes I forget to add 'em though, and then I forget what it was I researched. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'll have to make certain to take the time and closely look over what you've recommended this time, especially manga-wise. I'll try to post a more detailed response to you at some point. But for now...

Magic User's Club - agh, I keep forgetting to add this one to my list! I love Junichi Sato! You mentioned this series last time as well. I've actually known about this series for a long time, because I always used to see the previews at the front of many Media Blasters VHS I bought in the early 2000s (Rurouni Kenshin, Magic Knight Rayearth). It wasn't really something I had much of an interest in though until you mentioned Junichi Sato (the previews didn't grab my interest). I know there's no guarantee I'll love all of his work, but I want to always at least give them a try. The series is kinda expensive for something that only really interests me because of nostalgic value and Sato's name, but I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet at some point.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I don't do blind buys. Ever. But subscriber Letitgokaboom is selling (used) Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise. I seem to recall reading good things about it as well as it being out of print.

He's also selling a boatload of other things as well. Check it out!
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Royal Space Force got picked up by Sentai and is readily available on BD from your preferred retailer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 110 of 132