• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Reader Murdered

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This news has saddened me, and I've spent some time since I read it on Sunday thinking about it. Although I did not know Simon or his sister, and our only connection is reading the same anime news site, I still feel a sharper pang at reading this news than news of similar murders of people with whom I have no connection whatsoever. While I think that it is cosmically unfair for people like me to feel more sympathy towards those we have a connection to, any connection at all, than those who we never will know or hear of, it seems to be the way our minds work. Thus I offer all the condolences I can to the siblings' family and friends.
Anthony Clifton

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Its statements on the subject of grief-and ostentatious displays of grief-are relevant.

From the article: Like JFK, the adoration heaped upon her has proved far more voluble after her death than during her life, and she is currently being mythologized in the pages of Comics Buyer's Guide. Professionals, from creators to retail store owners, have been eulogizing her in practically every issue from then to now; genuine private sorrow has turned sickeningly into public blubbering that, aided and abetted by CBG's editorial yahoos who have splashed letters ranging from the trivial and inarticulate to the ignorant and incoherent, has resulted in nothing less than sensationalizing her death, exploiting the crude sentimentality of its readership, and, sad to say, distorting and falsifying Kalish's contribution to the profession.

On the other hand, in an era of massive dehumanization, disconnection and apathy, any opportunity to connect with other people, their joys and their pains, has value.

The sentiments posted here are not 'public blubbering.' They are a heartfelt attempt to connect with other people, to share in something that is without meaning so as to give it meaning, to FEEL something.

At every funeral, there are always those who, unable to cope with a tragedy in any other way, wander around telling everyone, "It'll be ok.", "Don't cry. He's in a better place." or "He wouldn't want us to cry."

I say, "It's not ok. Cry all you want. FEEL what you want to feel and know that it's ok to express it."

If it's misguided, then it's misguided. That's no worse a crime than belittling people who are trying to express compassion and sympathy for others.
Bates

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This is a really horrible thing to happen to anyone, and the family have my sympathies.

Though, can I just say I find it incredibly distasteful that a pitiful specimen like steventheeunuch feels the need to troll a subject like this? I certainly hope he appreciates the irony of calling other people attention seekers when it's pathetic types like him who are the most desperate attention seekers of all.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
ampersand

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
LIFE GOES ON

If I should go before the rest of you
Break not a flower
Nor inscribe a stone
Nor when I am gone
Speak in a Sunday voice
But be the usual selves
That I have known  

Weep if you must
Parting is hell
But life goes on
So .... sing as well

- Joyce Grenfell 1910-1979
jay saenz

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
This is awfull... it just makes me think how precious is life.

I only can think...rest in peace brother, you have come back to the source of everything...

My symphaties to his family and friends
Genjackel

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
The following article is from a few years ago, when a young woman who worked for Marvel comics died. Its statements on the subject of grief-and ostentatious displays of grief-are relevant.

http://www.tcj.com/2_archives/e_groth1191.html

What a bitter essay. Sure, the reader response to Peter David's article is a sparkling example of hyperbole, and Greg Baisden's paragraph-sentence is downright silly, but what did this guy want? "Marvel sucks, so good riddance to her?"
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
[4) I've already forbid Steven from posting anymore in this thread, so for chrissakes, get it back on topic.
Ouch! Yes Maam, sorry. (shakes throbbing knuckles) Crying or Very sad

Simon and Sharron, May eternal rest be granted to your souls and may God's perpetual light shine upon you. May you rest in peace, Amen. Crying or Very sad
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Patrick West? Grumpy old sod. Razz Rolling Eyes
chicogrande

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This is a tragic loss of life. My sympathies are with their family.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, some interesting points have been brought up. For what it's worth, I do believe that a good amount of posters are genuinely emotionally moved, to varying degrees, by the story. I also, though, imagine that some of these sentiments have been exaggerated to an extent, and there is nothing wrong with this. Methinks it is more or less embedded in our nature to react in certain ways to "tragedy," and though one may in fact resonate their words emotionally, often it's difficult to express feelings aside from trite words.

Anyhow, I apologize for my blubbering, and it really is a shame that such murders take place. Granted that there is some sort of afterlife, I hope that Simon gets a chance to see and full-heartedly enjoy the last Star Wars movie.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
My condolence for his family at this time.

What a tragedy that a young man and his sister had to be murdered. It's so senseless.

May God be with his family and friends at this time.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Anthony Clifton wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

4) I've already forbid Steven from posting anymore in this thread, so for chrissakes, get it back on topic.

Since there are so many in this community who seem to be moved and affected by this tragedy, I wonder if there wouldn't be an opportunity to do something contributory, as a group.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to set up something myself and I don't know anything about Simon's family but I'd be happy to donate a few dollars to some worthy cause.

Maybe there's an appropriate non-profit organization relevant to Simon, his sister, or their situation in life to whom we could all donate in Simon's or his family's name? And then let the family know that we were inspired to do so in memory of their slain children?

I'm tearing up thinking about it and I tend to go with my heart on things, so it seems like it would be meaningful to his family and friends as well as to some worthy organization.

Thoughts?

*looks over the mound of Anime Crap he has*

I'd be willing to donate some unwanted Anime Stuff for a ANN Charity Auction. Any other Ideas?
ilupanime

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
rest in peace, go to heaven with your sister taking a minigun with you, let dat bastard killer come to heaven again and again just to get shot at again and again...

ahh~ dat really took off the heart-breaking momentum

peace out, RIP
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11