• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
O2K3

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Just curious as to who's going to Otakon this year. We've been going since '99. Hopefully they'll get the whole convention center again. Anime has made such a huge leap into maintstream popularity that I'm fearing what may happen. Visions of legions of bad cosplayers and poorly bathed recluses filling the halls keep making their way into my head : p
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru's Sister wrote:
Just curious as to who's going to Otakon this year.

I'll be there.. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm *thinking* about going. Saw AX last year, and I thought maybe I should see something different this year (and closer to home too).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:36 am Reply with quote
O2K is one of the three or four cons I'm planning on attenting this year.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:34 am Reply with quote
No reason I shouldn't be out there, either - I've made the last couple of Otakons, plus '99, which was actually my first con. Though because I'll hopefully have started full-time employment just a couple of weeks before the con, probably will not show up until at least friday evening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:21 am Reply with quote
I have a friend who recently moved to the Baltimore area, so with a free place to stay I no longer have any excuse not to go!

See y'all there!
Judau

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll be there... I have been going since '01 and it always makes for a great time... this year will be interesting as I will be bring down 5 other people... if anyone is interested in actually meeting me, just feel free to IM me... I am a nice guy. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ramen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:11 pm Reply with quote
So, how does Otakon compare to AX? I've been mulling the idea of going to it for a while now, but since I live in California, and AX is so much closer, it almost seems not worth the 3000 mile trip.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
So, how does Otakon compare to AX? I've been mulling the idea of going to it for a while now, but since I live in California, and AX is so much closer, it almost seems not worth the 3000 mile trip.

Otakon's much less commercialized. At AX, companies sponsor video rooms, karaoke, ceremonies, etc. Otakon runs much more on their own funding (for better and for worse). It doesn't stop the companies from trying, though. ;)

AX is very mechanical and professional.. whereas Otakon (particularly the past 2 years) has attempted to remain very much "fan-run". The "love of anime" put forth by Otakon shows, as their staff is significantly smaller, yet their numbers are only slightly less than AX's.

Otakon's 3 days, while AX is 4.

If you're closer to AX, just hit up AX. You get about 90% of the experience of Otakon, for a fraction of the cost. You miss out on Mystery Anime Theater 3000, a better selection of US guests, etc..

.. but you also miss out on some recurring problems with organization and such.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, MAT3K. There is truly no replacement for it. What's sad is that we didn't bother going until last year. We decided the masquerades not worth it so next year we'll be online early for MAT3K so maybe we'll get some actually good seats.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:01 am Reply with quote
Most importantly, you'll miss out on whatever catastrophic event is bound to hit Baltimore *this* year Smile

I mean, hell, with every passing year, Otakon reminds me more and more of Sim City 2000, especially as the disasters get more and more outlandish. I mean, a smoke machine in the dance setting off a fire alarm is one thing...an *underground* fire under downtown, and a flood at the same time, are another entirely Smile At this rate, O2K3 will feature either alien invaders or a nuclear power-plant meltdown.

---

Perhaps there's a *reason* I tend to spend most of Otakon in an alcohol-induced daze x_X

Quote:
Judau

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:35 am Reply with quote
Anonymous wrote:
Most importantly, you'll miss out on whatever catastrophic event is bound to hit Baltimore *this* year Smile

I mean, hell, with every passing year, Otakon reminds me more and more of Sim City 2000, especially as the disasters get more and more outlandish. I mean, a smoke machine in the dance setting off a fire alarm is one thing...an *underground* fire under downtown, and a flood at the same time, are another entirely Smile At this rate, O2K3 will feature either alien invaders or a nuclear power-plant meltdown.

---

Perhaps there's a *reason* I tend to spend most of Otakon in an alcohol-induced daze x_X

Quote:

haha, so true that it is scary.... literally, I fear for my life... Wink Wink oh, and MAT3k... wow, I can't wait to watch more of that great stuff... they really need to find a way to get that online or something (I don't know if they are allowed to sell them)... I know they talked aobut it at the panel last year, but I forgot what they said... Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:15 pm Reply with quote
hee hee. mahole explotions and cosplayers running around open fire hydrants. Baltimore at it's best.

I too wish they could offer it for sale or download. personally, I think the commercials were the best. Aquaman at NERV Laughing And "It's a Selle" Too cool. Cool
Ramen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so now I have to know. What's MAT3K? I have heard of it before in passing, but I never actually found out what it is.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Mystery Anime Theater 3000.

Ever heard of Mystery Science Theater 3000 where a guy and two robots sit in a movie theater and make snide comments about a really bad movie? Kinda like that but with anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3