• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anti-Sale Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
I seriously wonder why people buy from RACS. The link I posted before? He completely deleted it and banned me from his Facebook page. And now he is attacking someone on Fandom Post for sharing their thoughts on why they no longer want to shop at his store. Heck, he even throws a bitch fit on his own newsletter. How does this guy stay in business? His behavior is rather appalling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
Man, he's like a troll, purposely saying something that will piss people off, then hunting down each and every response and acting like a child about it. I mean, I guess it provides entertainment for us, but having the head of a company be a massive tool certainly hurt Tokyopop's image and reputation, and it's not going to help Robert either.

But I'm ashamed to say I did order from RACS once, maybe 2 years ago. They had a manga (Firefighter Daigo, which is OOP, clearly Robert didn't notice because it was only $9) that TRSI didn't have (and Firefighter Daigo is epic good and I had to have it. And I got Glass Mask because it was the rare anime not cheaper at TRSI by default) and it all arrived ok, but man is their website pain on my eyes. Even if Robert wasn't a troll, I wouldn't want to order from a website that looks like it hasn't understood that web design has changed since the late 90s. It rather makes browsing hard when I'm trying to keep my eyes from bleeding. And what does Brand X do? Revamp their website and listen to consumer feedback to tweak things. Even their old website was nice and easy on the eyes. But seriously, I've been ordering from TRSI for over 4 years and RACS only got the edge on them once and only because I desperately wanted that manga and it somehow wasn't cheaper on Amazon? I wouldn't be one to talk about pricing competitively if I were him, not when he gets 1 out of 1000 and only out of sheer luck at that.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
I recall several years ago being tempted to order from RACS (was thinking of buying all of Master Keaton from them, ended up getting it for $4 per disc from Brand X) and one time last year I was looking over their figure selection, but I think I'll just ignore that place from now on.

I'm tempted to email him and ask for more info about being a "paid troll", you know, like all the "big boys" have. Does that position pay well? I could use some extra money. Laughing Anyway, being his own "paid troll" saves him money I guess.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
I ordered an Ergo Proxy dvd volume from RACS a few years ago when I didn't know anything about searching for good deals. First and last time I shopped there Cool .

I just read his newsletter as well. This guy is starting to sound like a 12 year old.

Here is the full rant if anyone is interested in reading it:

Quote:

It seems some ass$#%@ felt it necessary to post a little blurb over at Fandom (and then cross post it over to our FB page) last week saying that he felt like I was a bit of a 'douche' for some of my recent comments on the Anime Industry. (Recent comments?) Now, I know I like to speak up about things that other folks just stay quiet about because they don't want to do anything that could threaten their precious revenue streams, but of all the things I've said over the years about the dumb decisions that other Anime companies make (like this, this, this, or this), he actually called me out on my stance against AniPlex's high pricing and limited distribution policy, a policy that I find frankly indefensible. I really have to question if the guy actually knows what a 'douche' is, and my guess is that he probably doesn't since he's clearly never had a girlfriend. Now if the guy works as a paid troll for AniPlex (all the big boys have them on the payroll), then I can just write it off as a lame attempt to discredit me from a company that seems perfectly capable of doing anything in order to maintain their monopolistic business practices. But if the post was made by a real person (i.e. - someone that just had nothing better to do with their time), then I can only conclude that the dude either doesn't know what the heck he's talking about, or has been totally brainwashed by the corporate machine, and I find that prospect a bit disconcerting. My experience is that, unlike this guy, most Anime fans really don't live in their mothers basements into their late 20's - because they are much smarter than this. So from one 'douche' to another - seek help dude. Smile Seriously, you need it

What a badass Laughing .
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Reading that rant, it doesn't seem overly vitriolic. He doesn't like Aniplex's pricing schemes? Well, it's not like he's refusing to stock their products in protest. He's got Blue Exorcist and Madoka Magica in stock right now.

I'm just amazed the guy stays in business with his pricing. He must have some dedicated customers or something. I mean, as an example, Madoka is $25 cheaper per set over at TRSI, and that's their regular price for it. I'm all for customer loyalty, but there's no way I'd spend an extra $75 over a whole series like this just to show some appreciation to my retailer.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
But I'm ashamed to say I did order from RACS once, maybe 2 years ago. They had a manga (Firefighter Daigo, which is OOP, clearly Robert didn't notice because it was only $9) that TRSI didn't have (and Firefighter Daigo is epic good and I had to have it.

I have a friend that enjoy this series, she has the hardest time trying to find people that also like it.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
His response to me:
Robert's Anime Corner Store (RACS) wrote:
There was nothing professional at all about my response. It was at the level of what I was responding too. That idiot on Fandom made a personal attack, out of the blue, and he doesn't even know me. It never ceases to amaze me what people get worked up about.And 'Drama Queen'? Please sell stupid somewhere else.

Rofl. Thanks, Robert, for giving people more ammo to use against you on why others should avoid your store. Very nice of you to call your former customers stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Regannator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Who is this joker? :< I never even heard of his store.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow....he is asking his minions on his Facebook page to find out the real name of the poster on FP. Isn't that......going too far?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Wow....he is asking his minions on his Facebook page to find out the real name of the poster on FP. Isn't that......going too far?

If this guy is such a bastard and all that, why hasn't the site been shut down and such. I mean, surly there is a way for that to happen. I just see RightStuf buying off this man's stock and selling it in a nice manor. Sure there is a way to force him to shut the store down.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
@Vata
I'm not defending him, but he has a legitimate business he's running(into the ground.) Rightstuf can't just buy out a competitor whenever they feel like it. And a company doesn't get shut down because its president in insane. Also, keep in mind that he has employees who need their jobs. Why should they suffer because they work for an idiot? Those poor people, how embarrassing this whole thing must be for them.
Regannator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Does he ever post around here?
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
He used to, but I can't say I've seen him do so in a while. I think the general atmosphere of RACS-hate on this board has driven back to his own corner of the internet.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
@Vata
I'm not defending him, but he has a legitimate business he's running(into the ground.) Rightstuf can't just buy out a competitor whenever they feel like it. And a company doesn't get shut down because its president in insane. Also, keep in mind that he has employees who need their jobs. Why should they suffer because they work for an idiot? Those poor people, how embarrassing this whole thing must be for them.

Can't imagine there are that many people working there in the first place, unless they're a place that gets a lot of orders.
Raiji Magiwind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Man, he's like a troll, purposely saying something that will piss people off, then hunting down each and every response and acting like a child about it. I mean, I guess it provides entertainment for us, but having the head of a company be a massive tool certainly hurt Tokyopop's image and reputation, and it's not going to help Robert either.

But I'm ashamed to say I did order from RACS once, maybe 2 years ago. They had a manga (Firefighter Daigo, which is OOP, clearly Robert didn't notice because it was only $9) that TRSI didn't have (and Firefighter Daigo is epic good and I had to have it. And I got Glass Mask because it was the rare anime not cheaper at TRSI by default) and it all arrived ok, but man is their website pain on my eyes. Even if Robert wasn't a troll, I wouldn't want to order from a website that looks like it hasn't understood that web design has changed since the late 90s. It rather makes browsing hard when I'm trying to keep my eyes from bleeding. And what does Brand X do? Revamp their website and listen to consumer feedback to tweak things. Even their old website was nice and easy on the eyes. But seriously, I've been ordering from TRSI for over 4 years and RACS only got the edge on them once and only because I desperately wanted that manga and it somehow wasn't cheaper on Amazon? I wouldn't be one to talk about pricing competitively if I were him, not when he gets 1 out of 1000 and only out of sheer luck at that.

Yeah, trying to find Firefighter Diago was a pain, but after four years I finished off and collected all 20 volumes of the series. It one of those odd jem's that sadly was too bad it didn't get more fans.

If anything, you could try through Viz, who are the ones who published it....if not, scour the hell out of any Dealers Rooms at anime cons you attend...that was where I found the last three volumes 2 years ago. I seriously almost gave the dealer a heart attack cause I was squeeing like a fangirl spotting there favorite voice actor...Anime dazed. As I paid for the volumes though, I told him why I had been so happy, since he helped me end a four year search to snag up the whole series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 33