• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Takuhai Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
time_trapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
TOKYOPOP has a problem with wanting to throw too many titles on the market at once. People simply can't buy that much at once. Which is what is really sad as other titles get overlooked.

The problem I see are TOKYOPOP's original series like Princess Ai and Warcraft are getting accepted as valid manga releases while their other original manga aren't. Princess Ai is being written by Stuart Levy under the name DJ Milky for God's sake and through force of will (and three other big names) he's gotten it serielized in a Japanese magazine, but somehow there is still a YEAR gap between the release of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. You'd have thought they would have been farther along if it was really being serielized beforehand, but I guess not.

Warcraft was made in Korea and then you have that Star Trek manga that still hasn't come out.

The way I see it, Japan borrowed from the U.S. and now we're borrowing from them. The two are going to become one at some point whether people want it to or not. In fact, its already been happening for years now. We're going to see more and more series being co-produced by both North American and Asian companies and people.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
time_trapper wrote:
The way I see it, Japan borrowed from the U.S. and now we're borrowing from them. The two are going to become one at some point whether people want it to or not. In fact, its already been happening for years now. We're going to see more and more series being co-produced by both North American and Asian companies and people.
Perhaps, but I think market saturation may delay or even completely prevent that from happening. Given that sales are starting to slow down due to so many titles out there, I suspect that there will be fewer investments in the future for "blurring the lines."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
time_trapper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
That just means that some larger companies are going to be scrambling to get try and get back money they may have invested elsewhere. I think ADV might be really hurting because they've put out a lot of crap lately and they have an live-action Evangelion movie that's going nowhere.

The market is only slowing because there is just a lot of crap being put out. Not all of TOKYOPOP's OEL titles are crap, though. Some like Sokora Refugees and Steady Beat are really good.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:44 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Maybe because these people lived in the U.S. The rising star contest are for U.S. only.

Erm, you're aware of the British one, right? On top of that, Tokyopop seems keen on publishing local authors in Germany (like their competitors have been doing for a couple of years now). Also, the first original anthology TPB by Dutch artists (in English) has been released recently and is quite a hit with readers.

Long story short: I don't see what's so 'American' about these non-Japanese productions anymore Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2