• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! is 1st TV Anime Franchise to Sell 500,000+ BDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, when it comes to Kyoto Animation, it's better to get a BD copy rather than DVD. Now if Bandai releases special editions for DVD's and not BD, then of course i'm going DVD. Sorry BluRay, but SE's call me when it comes to shows I love.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anemayfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Way to go K-On!

Personally my collection has been moving to BD. Whether the animation quality is simple or complex, or if there is any noticable difference in visual quality, with the little cost difference from BD and DVD nowadays, I don't see myself buying anime DVDs anymore unless that's the only format available and I want that particular anime badly enough where I can't wait for it to come out in BD. Love never makes sense and a fan/collector that loves something will always want the best quality regardless of whether or not the extra cost is worth it.
redranger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Japanese need to stop buying trash
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Please tell me there's no obesity in your country...
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Not as much as you need to grow the hell up and realize that there's nothing wrong with some people having a different taste than you do.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
OK, if you can't see the difference between DVD and Bluray... you need your eyes examined. Of course K-ON! looks better on Bluray... almost everything (that was not done by Funimation, or is a blatant upscale like Koihime Musou, even though those look better then the DVD too).
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
If you have a bluray player there is no reason not to get shows on BD just because they aren't FMA or whatever (and FMA isn't the best example of a HD show anyway).

Yeah, I think my FMAB blu-rays are the worst looking blu-rays I have personally.

Blu-ray basically shows you every detail of the original art work very clearly. Whether you like the subject matter of the art work or not isn't really the point when it comes to determining whether a show looks good on blu-ray or not.

SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Honestly, when it comes to Kyoto Animation, it's better to get a BD copy rather than DVD. Now if Bandai releases special editions for DVD's and not BD, then of course i'm going DVD. Sorry BluRay, but SE's call me when it comes to shows I love.

I think I'm the exact opposite of you. I think I would rather have the higher quality visuals of the actual show then the extras. But I guess depending on how much I liked the show and what was included in the special edition I might end up getting both. Laughing
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
OK, if you can't see the difference between DVD and Bluray... you need your eyes examined.

Alot of people can't tell the difference. It's not an uncommon thing. Especially if they can't afford fancy ass TV's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
blu-ray normally gives you better audio too if you have good home home theater systems.
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Alot of people can't tell the difference. It's not an uncommon thing. Especially if they can't afford fancy ass TV's.

Well, I think it's understood that you need an HDTV to be able to watch HD material in actual HD... Smile
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Well, I think it's understood that you need an HDTV to be able to watch HD material in actual HD... Smile

I know, yet alot of people try to upgrade anyway Anime hyper.

Last edited by SonicRenegade84 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:

SonicRenegade84 wrote:

I think I'm the exact opposite of you. I think I would rather have the higher quality visuals of the actual show then the extras. But I guess depending on how much I liked the show and what was included in the special edition I might end up getting both. Laughing

Exactly. Except I guess i'm one of those collectors who say "one copy is enough" because it's rarely that I go BluRay, unless the visuals are just so impressive I have to go BD (ex. Evangelion 2.2).
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
d-_-b zzzzz wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
K-ON! truly is the show of the decade.
no its not
Amen. Anyone who thinks that must have bleh taste, f**ked in the head, under the spell of the cute characters, or all of the above. Laughing

Don't give much of a damn about the show myself, but hell--if it's selling that well, then congratz.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
K-ON! truly is the show of the decade.

Quantity over quality? Do you also think Twilight and Transformers are the defining movies of our generation?
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Quantity over quality?

For this generation of anime? Absolutely.

K-ON is on the short list of shows that represent trends in anime over the past decade. Refined almost to a perfection at what it does best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6