• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daily Video: How Not to Line Up for Autographs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouta6769

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Imagine if it was the creator of K-ON in that booth.
Akukame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Why the synchronised rush (from multiple directions) when people had already been standing in line for some time? Was there some sort of announcement about the autographs just then? Or was it just that one guy tried cue-jumping, and everyone else followed him?

Also, anyone know what the announcement at the end of the video is about?

The guys in orange are staff. It appears there was a line for this that was started and queued somewhere else. One of the guys in orange leaves to allow the people to move in front of the booth, and my guess is something happens off screen that causes a mad "walmart, black friday, must get my hands on the last tickle me elmo or my child is going to hate me" mob to rush the counter.

It also appears there were people standing around, perhaps waiting for friends, maybe couldn't get into the original queue (who knows). When they see the rush of people from around the corner, they just rush in to try to cut into the line before the staff can react.

At least thats is what I can gather from the 2 videos.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Why the synchronised rush (from multiple directions) when people had already been standing in line for some time? Was there some sort of announcement about the autographs just then? Or was it just that one guy tried cue-jumping, and everyone else followed him?

Also, anyone know what the announcement at the end of the video is about?

The guys in orange are staff. It appears there was a line for this that was started and queued somewhere else. One of the guys in orange leaves to allow the people to move in front of the booth, and my guess is something happens off screen that causes a mad "walmart, black friday, must get my hands on the last tickle me elmo or my child is going to hate me" mob to rush the counter.

The exhibition hall was located on the third floor of the stadium. Exhibitors (dojin circles) could enter the hall an hour earlier than regular consumers in order to prepare their booths. However, since each dojin circle could consist up to 3 persons, it is not uncommon for just two of them prepare the booth while sending the third member to wait in front of the hardest-to-obtain items, in this case Ryukishi07's autograph. Other connections (such as staff or press) can also get you into the hall before regular consumers. The stampede was caused by opening the main gate, allowing regular consumers (waiting on the external stairs of the stadium) to burst into the exhibition hall.

The audio announcement was a "play ball" message i.e. telling everyone that the event is now formally inaugurated. You could hear clapping in the background; this is a custom of Comiket and copied by other dojin events.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
Kinda reminded me of the US Voice Actors panel on Saturday of Big Apple Anime Fest 2003 o__o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
That's an autograph table, not an all-you-can-eat buffet table. Confused
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
How dreadful. Queuing is a demonstration of one's restraint and courtesy. Their excitement cannot excuse the lack of order with which they await their gratification.

Refrained and painless slaps on the wrist to all the offenders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
The videos aren't loading up for me. It's just blank white space. Confused
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
From what was said before, it appears the people who were in line waiting, got there before the main doors opened. When the main doors opened to the public, everyone rushed to the booth, and really had no time to see there was already a queue.

I don't blame the crowd, except for those individuals who knocked the booth down. What can you really expect, when you only offer 20 signatures. If Justin Bieber only offered 20 signatures, the blood would be rolling down the streets like an incoming tide.

The sponsors of this event only have themselves to blame. If the artist would only allow 20 signatures, then they should have had some kind of lottery for them. Instead of a first come, first serve, which only encourages a mob frenzy.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
It's a Otaku Stampede! I am glad I try to get to autographs at Anime Next early every year and very glad this never happens there.
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I'd laugh at this, but we do than this every year the day after Thanksgiving.

Not if your smart and do your shopping online instead Wink. I feel bad for the poor booth next to the madness. I'm surprised if the autographs were so limited why they didn't pass out tickets with the 20 people already selected avoiding such chaos.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I'd laugh at this, but we do than this every year the day after Thanksgiving.

Honey, obviously you don't work retail. Wink Very Happy On Black Friday...that is N O T H I N G!!

TarsTarkas wrote:
The sponsors of this event only have themselves to blame. If the artist would only allow 20 signatures, then they should have had some kind of lottery for them. Instead of a first come, first serve, which only encourages a mob frenzy.

I agree with you that's exactly how it should have been done. Hopefully it's a lesson for next time and/or for other sponsors/orgainizers.
gothung

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
*shudder* Bad relapse of Anime Expo 2010, specifically immediately after the Q&A Panel for Yui Horie...

Anyone here a fellow survivor of that incident? No? Let me elaborate...

At AX, typically after a Q&A panel you line up and they hand you a ticket, good for getting priority for getting an autograph during the autograph session. Not in this case. Immediately after the panel, they announced that they wouldn't be handing out any tickets, and that Horie-san would be signing autographs at XYZ room immediately after the panel. Of course, AX being the biggest con on the west coast combined with the immense popularity of Yui Horie, this lead to a mad rush of several hundred people out of the panel room, down the hall, up the stairs/escalators, down another hall, and all lining up in front of another room in a cramped hallway.

Imagine all the bystanders/fans who probably got trampled. Plus, to add further drama, the autograph session was cut very short (something like 30 min instead of an hour) so a lot of these disgruntled fans were left without autographs. The bloodlust was almost tangible... (I know, since I'm guilty of being part of that mob).

They did hold a few other autograph sessions, but I guarantee there were plenty of people who missed out. I'm still undecided as to whether I'm more pissed at the poor planning by the organizers or if I'm pissed at Yui Horie (in case she had any decision making role in the whole ordeal).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
gothung wrote:
They did hold a few other autograph sessions, but I guarantee there were plenty of people who missed out. I'm still undecided as to whether I'm more pissed at the poor planning by the organizers or if I'm pissed at Yui Horie (in case she had any decision making role in the whole ordeal).

Be pissed at the organizers. Flat out.

The Talent have nothing to do with how things are set up...unless they are very anal and want things done a certain way. Of course, then there wouldn't be mad stampedes then, would there?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2