• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga in the Comic format dying

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I read in the latest issue of Animerica, they're changing their graphic novel formats, so they're smaller and cheaper. While I agree with this in terms of cost to both them and me, I do hate the change of look and size. My poor bookshelf looks demented as it is with all the different colors and sizes, but if midway through Ranma 1/2 it drops down, it'll look even odder. They are re-releasing some of the graphic novels already out like Inu-Yasha, but I really don't feel like buying them again. Rolling Eyes I wish they'd stick with their original look for series with more than 5 graphic novels out, but I guess that just isn't as cost effecient as getting people to buy the same book twice.
Harafan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote]Tokyopop has been publishing unflipped for quite a while and there also staring to print the first couple pages in color. The few Comics One I own all do both.[/quote]

Actually, Tokyopop has only been publishing unflipped manga for exactly one year. (It may seem like longer, but's that's because it's been a long, eventful year.) Viz was doing unflipped manga (but just putting its toe in the waters with Evangelion and the two Dragon Ball manga) for at least three years prior to that.
billslates

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:02 am Reply with quote
You would have to have a lot of money to waste(and be pretty retarded) if you are going to buy a graphic novel more than once.
I pretty much applaud Viz on their idea. The problem with most Graphic Novels is that they are too expensive for kids - teens, and though a kid might have a $10, its a pain in the ass to get change(especially if you have to go pretty far on your own to get it). When it costs $8 bucks, you get change back from a $10.
I think their move is a great leap forward towards cheaper manga prices. Sure the sizes might be smaller, but I think I wouldn't care if they decided to make manga volumes the normal Jump Comics size if it costed only $4(but that's just wishful thinking :D). At least then, they would be hopefully slipjacketed.
Asano Rain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well, yay. I really don't like waiting 6 months for one bloody GN to be released (I just end up getting it in Japanese)... so this is nice that they're going straight to GN format.

And as for slipcovering... we can only hope. =D
Mreow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:08 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that most publishers have started to release directly to graphic novels, and for several reasons. Price, quick releases and less space taken for the likes of me who want both the issues and the GN's ;-p

(_//=^_^=\\_)

Mreow
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2