• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - These Girls Can Jump Rope Too, Can't They?!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Texas84 wrote:
Pet Girl was fun until the end. Bunch of entitled spoiled brats that never had a real problem in their lives. Oh wow, my video game didn't get published. Oh wow, I can't be a voice actress. And thanks for ruining my graduation.

Not to be mean but [and yet you are mean; insult removed]. I haven't finished the show, but the two examples you pointed out are about the only characters in the show who are not entitled spoiled brats. The main character is the one trying to make a game, and he is just an average joe amongst a bunch of elites trying to go down a path he wants. He had failure throughout the show, and I dont think anyone ever thought if he did make it it would be easy. Same with the voice girl, she had to go and support herself , working multiple jobs just to peruse her dream. She had little success as well. If anybody in this anime is a spoiled entitled brat its the autism girl and the genki girl. They both have once in a life time talent, have reached the pinnacle in their respective works before the age of 20, are financial set, but then they bemoan how their loved ones just don't get it and how unfair it is. And somehow the average people who are working hard are the spoiled entitled brats, rights? -> I said this last part rolling my eyes btw.

This is directed at the writer of thee column. How can you possibly criticize something like Maou when you have a cheap poorly written, poorly designed, poorly directed knock off of Minority Report and similar works at number 4. I swear to God you [insult removed]. The show is bland, has poorly suited character designs to the setting, I mean who was sitting there and thought man, haru from hitman reborn should be in a dark crime thriller. The show main premise is poor, and does not offer any of the philosophical implications that minority report did. Well gee, I just do what ever this inanimate gun tells me do, because its controlled by some unforeseen council that knows best. I mean the whole concept of breaking down emotions into ratios was something even the trash can sitting on a street in psycho pass could see was not a feasible idea. Even then any person with even a moderation of rationale could watch one episode and see the system in so grossly flawed it should not be followed. Oh and then I am supposed to believe that doormat Haru , I forget her actual name, all of a sudden gains a spine and common sense and starts being respectable when she let her friend die before her because she thought the system would save her. Laughable, the only thing that should have happened to her character is she ended up dead in a ditch, became wanted because her coefficient went to high because she is clearly mental weak, or she gets sent off to some padded cell.

I am going to take your respective rankings of maou and psycho pas as you only expect originality from good shows like maou, but from complete crap like psycho pass the more generic and poorly construct the higher it mus be rated.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad that Chihayafuru 2 remains one of the best for this season even though in some ways, I feel so far it is a little bit lackluster compared to season 1.

The series that personally impressed me the most this Winter so far are Psycho-Pass, Shinsekai Yori, and Unlimited Kyousake. Problem Children was a golden egg/surprise this series as I enjoyed it much more than I had originally thought. Hope for a season 2!

Sakurasou no Pet Kanojo has its ups and downs but it's still somewhat of a decent series with the concluding episodes. (latest episode is out now btw).

I am definitely disappointed in Robotics;Notes, Amnesia, Senran Kagura, Cuticle, and lately Kotoura-san. Well, it looks like most of the series will conclude in the following two weeks so looking forward to Spring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
great list. I am a little sad that she did not last long for Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai next,od hanagai next, the last few episodes have been quite good! Nevertheless, Great list Smile.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Not to be mean but did you develop a case of cancer of the brain. I haven't finished the show, but the two examples you pointed out are about the only characters in the show who are not entitled spoiled brats. The main character is the one trying to make a game, and he is just an average joe amongst a bunch of elites trying to go down a path he wants. He had failure throughout the show, and I don't think anyone ever thought if he did make it it would be easy. Same with the voice girl, she had to go and support herself , working multiple jobs just to peruse her dream. She had little success as well. If anybody in this anime is a spoiled entitled brat its the autism girl and the genki girl. They both have once in a life time talent, have reached the pinnacle in their respective works before the age of 20, are financial set, but then they bemoan how their loved ones just don't get it and how unfair it is. And somehow the average people who are working hard are the spoiled entitled brats, rights? -> I said this last part rolling my eyes btw.

Well well well. I actually agree with all of this. How anyone can think that the two in question are spoiled brats for actually caring about the futures and being sad when they failed at what they had been for so long working towards is beyond me. I know that if I had taken several part-time jobs and defied my parents just to pursue my dream, and then I didn't succeed, I too would be gutted. And so I can understand why she was so shattered.

I think some so-called fans are just incredibly cruel and lack basic empathy.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
From previous seasons:
From the New World-Good. I've already seen the last episode and, I'm somewhat convinced that Saki and Satoru deserved spoiler[a happily ever] after but, after seeing so many depressing events, I honestly thought spoiler[everyone in the Group was going to die].
Hunter X Hunter: Still good; still makes feel like a kid watching it.
JoJo Bizzare Adventures: I'm really digging Cars true look; not bad~ ;D Hope the series will continue to Jotaro's arc because I'm having a blast.
Blast of Tempest: ...did they really have to spoiler[kill Yoshino again]? I get the stakes are high now that the series is almost over but...spoiler[why kill him again]? Once the spoiler[new] Mage of Exodus destroys the Tree of Genesis, spoiler[Hakaze can't heal him] so, are they trying to go for a 'bittersweet ending"? I still like the show, so I'll give it a Good but...really?
Space Brothers = Very Good and Polar Bear Cafe= Good

Winter 2013:
Cuticle Detective Inaba-Not Really Good; I know why I kept watching even though it was never funny, but I honestly can't say it was worth it.
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai-So-So. Stayed for the art, mythology & pop cultural references, but that got old after awhile. Not worth rewatching.
Vividred Operation-Not really good.
Oreshura-So-so. After the fourth girl showed up, the red haired chick, I was done with the show. I got tired of Eita being a preachy harem leader, Himeka's boring parody of Rikka, and I thought the whole spoiler["Did we mentioned his friend might be gay]" thing to be the stupidest thing next to Eita's aunt. Chiwa and Masuzu were fun to watch but, I felt bad that Chiwa was put on the sideline.
Kotoura-san-Decent. Funny with a nice touch of drama. The 'criminal arc' was the weakest part of the show. I hated how they just let the spoiler[police lady, who had injured numerous teen girls, go without any punishment]. It was a total cop-out; excuse the pun.
Tamako Market-Decent, Love Live-Decent, The Unlimited-Decent, and Maoyu-Decent.

@ kakoishii:
Crying over a sport just means that the players feel some sense of an accomplishment. Every time I watch the Olympics, there's usually either a family member in the crowd or the player themselves crying or getting misty eye when they either win, lose, or come somewhere in the middle. It's that rush of adrenaline that you get when you tried your hardest in activity that's close to you. For Chihayafuru, every character has a reason to play the game: The thrill of finding a historical poem by listening intently to the sound of the moderator. The excitement of playing in a team with your friend who had been practicing just as hard as you. And so much more that, by this point, I'm basically just spilling out why I love this show so much. I understand not everyone finds "playing a card game" exciting but, just my own two cents.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I've consistently had From a New World higher, but then again I was a Science Fiction fan thirty years before I first watched an anime "as" anime, so this post-apocalyptic future where the apocalypse was humans themselves turning into weapons of mass destruction starts it out way in front in my books. But Chihaya Furu, Space Brothers and Polar Bear Cafe are definitely three of the five shows I've been turning to my Roku to watch on a regular basis this season, and whenever I've had HuluPlus live, Pyscho-Pass would be added to that list.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
First off, a couple minor typos in the article. One, in the PSYCHO-PASS review I think you meant "Kogami" and not "Kogima." Second, in the Tamako Market review, I think you meant Dera's "antics" and not his "antiques." Wink

I completely agree with the Chihayafuru review. This series is just so good. And don't worry-- If it continues to follow the manga, it's only going to get better.

Uchuu Kyoudai is still at the same pacing as, usual. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I can understand how it may put off some people. I just finished reading vol.20 of the manga last week and ahhhh~~~ So gooood~~~ Wonder how far the anime will go.

Shirokuma Cafe... Only one more episode... T___T Penguin and Llama crack me up, as do the rest of the cast. I'm going to be very sad when this ends. I've already bought the first 6 volumes on BD and am seriously debating whether to get the rest. I was gung-ho about getting them all and it's not bad when you think in terms of about $70 a month, but when you add it all up, that's a $1K+ series. x___x; Ouchie.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh and Bamboo, not to nitpick but..
[quote=]Kogima [/quote]
It's Kougami or Kogami (if watching the Funimation subs).
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't disagree more with Maoyuu. So a new concept can only stay fresh for about 7 episodes before it starts getting "stale"? Maybe resorting back to the usual tropes would've been better for you, Bamboo? I don't know. I'll respect your opinion but I have been entertained from beginning to end. That long speech was very remarkable.

I didn't think highly of "Problem Children" but it's not a show that aspires to be thought-provoking or tries to attempt some mind-blowing storytelling or commentary. It's just a one-speed show with a simple mission: show entertaining action sequences. And it has succeeded at it.

Oreshura finally came back to earth. It's a very forgettable show.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
atleast one ANN reviewer thinks Problem Children is a fun show.
The other ANN reviewers rank Problem Children very low. Lower than some boring ass shows like Maoyu.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
If you cannot worry to give the Hero or King Demon a real name, it becomes hard to believe you're watching anything but "Economy 01 for otakus".

Its concept is not to be an educational anime but to apply real-world logic and concepts to common ideas in fantasy stories. They're called by their roles because they're archetypes playing a role in the exploration of fantasy tropes. I don't think anyone ever would be lazy enough to just not bother giving names to the two lead characters.

I'd rate Psycho-Pass a bit lower than Bamboo did, and Problem Children too - although I seem to have enjoyed it more. I never saw the strengths in Tamako Market or OreShura to begin with, but agree they've lost stream (as has Maoyuu). Where I disagree, though, is Love Live: I find every week funnier and more charming than the last. Episode 11's lottery drawing and its immediate aftermath were some of the best-played comedic moments from the whole season.

Full agreement from me on Polar Bear's Café, Space Brothers, From the New World, Sakurasou and Kotoura-san (well, I find the disconnect between thriller and romantic comedy a tad more problematic in Kotoura-san).

I could mention a dozen other shows, but I'll restrict my space to my two favourite shows of this/last season: Inferno Cop and Girls und Panzer. Both completely blew me away with their endings. Inferno Cop's was as excellently-directed, hilariously terribly-animated, brilliant, stupid and baffling as the rest of the show. The best comedic height was episode 11's Evangelion parody, but the ending was straight-out channelling Gurren Lagann. Girls und Panzer's final episode was just a frenetic, gloriously-animated and directed crucible of tank warfare. The final tank duel between the Nishizumi sisters was jaw-dropping and riveting. The sheer tension and exhiliration beat out any anime I've seen in... bloody hell, I don't even know how long. Probably Evangelion 3.0, but beyond that I don't know how many shattered frameworks and flaming tracks it leaves in its wake.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo will you be including the final episodes that are airing this wk in your review next time? I am definetly curious to see your thoughts on the last ep of From the New World which ends officially Tuesday.

Anyways the series that make my week in alpha order: Chihayafuru, From the New World, Polar Bear Cafe, & Space Brothers.

I enjoyed Psycho Pass as well but I was disappointed by the ending and I know it shouldn't (because I was entertained throughout) it does lower my opinion of the show.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Quick, everyone stand back, we have a real rebel in our midst. Don't try and fight him, he's too powerful, your mortal weapons won't work on him. Don't attack him and throw your life away.

but, but, it's so tempting
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Bamboo will you be including the final episodes that are airing this wk in your review next time? I am definetly curious to see your thoughts on the last ep of From the New World which ends officially Tuesday.

I'm not sure yet. I kind of timed this season poorly, since I like to end after all series have wrapped up, but maybe I'll find a way to work it into the next column in between all my scrawling on bathroom walls.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely glad that you stuck with Sakurasou until the end. Given how much prejudice the show received before it even aired just from the title, I thought there was little hope people would actually give it a chance. Pet Girl of Sakurasou is the perfect example of why you should never judge a book by it's cover (quite literally in the case of the source material). A lot of people wrote it off/dismissed it without waiting for a single episode to air. I think a lot of people are a bit chagrined by that now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5