• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying Attack on Titan so far. Every so often it feels like it takes a small step backward into cliche shonen tropes, but then it immediately follows with a leap forwards into stunning unexpected plot developments that leave your jaw hanging. I also really admire Eren's character, for being able to keep his shit together when things go down, and for his extreme focus.

I'm also starting to get a niggling feeling that the series spoiler[might be drawing a lot of inspiration from Norse mythology and culture (?), which for me would be really awesome as I've been a big fan for a long time (mainly because of "The Children of Odin", one of my all-time favorite books on Norse Mythology). The sober outlook on the nature of life and survival expressed in the 6th episode especially reminds me of viking culture, and of course there's the Jotunn and the walled cities, so I'm curious to see if it plays much more into the story as the series progresses.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:

Just a general blanket statement.

ScumbagYoshi wrote:

T_____T;

See, when you take a logical approach to a show that's shrouded in mystery, supernatural phenomena, and just straight up made up fantasy, it's easy to get carried away by trying to get to the bottom of every single detail.

I wonder how people like this can ever hope to enjoy mystery shows without constantly asking who the killer was starting from the first few minutes and complaining that the show blows because they left out that critical detail.

Well, to clarify, while I briefly wondered about the walls, neither it nor anything else thus far has really bothered me regarding explanations or lack thereof. The 3D gear seems completely unrealistic, but the rule-of-cool is in effect and I don't see it as being much different than the basic rules of physics and what the human body can handle that Hollywood movies break in nearly every action film ever. Accept it or don't, but it's really not a flaw.

I'd agree with that first part in general, but shows do need to follow a certain amount of logic. Being supernatural doesn't excuse anything. At the same time, there's a point where it's reasonable to just accept that there's some sort of explanation and it doesn't really NEED to be explained. If you really, really want one then maybe hope for an explanation in supplementary materials, but it's unreasonable to expect everything to be explained in the show and it doesn't necessarily benefit the narrative to do so (in fact, it often doesn't).

rheiders wrote:

Personally, I'm a big fan of Attack on Bollywood.

That (or was it the other Bollywood one? There are at least two) was the very first Linked Horizon parody MAD that I saw. Still one of the better ones.

Kikaioh wrote:

I'm also starting to get a niggling feeling that the series spoiler[might be drawing a lot of inspiration from Norse mythology and culture (?), which for me would be really awesome as I've been a big fan for a long time (mainly because of "The Children of Odin", one of my all-time favorite books on Norse Mythology). The sober outlook on the nature of life and survival expressed in the 6th episode especially reminds me of viking culture, and of course there's the Jotunn and the walled cities, so I'm curious to see if it plays much more into the story as the series progresses.]

The series is heavily inspired by Muv-Luve Alternative.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good review. I've found the show to be mostly engaging so far. I just hope they can keep up their schedules without too much issue.

Also, just gonna leave this here.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I need to get the soundtrack of this series when it comes out soon which I believe will be somewhere around June 28th of this year.

Otherwise, this series so far imo has lived up to the hype with its first six episodes. It is also quite faithful to its adaptation and most of the characters are appealing to me, especially.....Potato Girl Sasha. Gotta love the action scenes and many of the cinematic including that OP & ED song. The artwork seems suitable as well at least for me. I just hope Production IG can keep it up as I've read an article awhile ago mentioning that the series is seeking 'new animators'.

Well, so far it has potential to become AOTY for me at least from what's shown for now. I just hope it'll keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Darn it Theron, this mostly-positive review from you is making it harder for me to justify avoiding this series on principle.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Darn it Theron, this mostly-positive review from you is making it harder for me to justify avoiding this series on principle.

What principle would that be?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the directing at times is too bombastic that it doesn't let the show speak for itself. It's charming in Death Note and part of it's flavor but at times it feels like this show is trying too hard. For example I find that Hunter x Hunter which is in an arc very similar to this can grip and fill with suspense much better than this show can because of how well it's directed.

Otherwise I am enjoying the show just not as much as I want too.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Damn, I need to get the soundtrack of this series when it comes out soon which I believe will be somewhere around June 28th of this year.

Same. I should pre-order it before it runs out. Though I want to show some love to the lovely ending, Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai.

If I allow my brain to turn off, then I'm highly enjoying AOT. Like Kikaioh mentioned, I'm guessing the author was heavily inspired by Norse mythology. About how Giants "never truly die" and "seem invincible" unless attacked with special weaponry like a blessed bow and arrow. Only, in this case, its an awesome harnesses that allow people to move in multiple dimensions. Eren is a fairly typical shonen hero, spoiler[even when he turns into a Titan its no special than some Super Mode from an average action manga], but I wished Mikasa was the protagonist. In the first few episodes, she was highly dependent on Eren despite being able to handle herself. In the brief moment where spoiler[he seemed to have died,] I thought, "Yay! New heroine!"

With my brain on, there are issues with the story, logic, and even the unstoppable Titans. Like, what's the point of humanity trying to defend itself if there's only a small region on their bodies capable of dealing a lethal blow. The melodrama can be a bit silly. In ep. 3, spoiler[where it seemed that Eren might fail if he didn't learn how to use the Maneuver Belt was solved due to a malfunction. Why didn't they check the gear before handling it out?]
Fun show only if I don't think about it too much.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Once again dtm42 is SUPER MAD that a show isn't doing things in precisely the manner he approves of.

Hey, let's just be thankful this show doesn't feature zero gravity combined with miniskirts.

That made me laugh way longer then it should have. Laughing
BarCho66

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay! This season's SAO is on full force. . . this review. . . it's trying to downplay the numerous plot inconsistencies, bad writing and poor animation for the soundtrack alone. Rolling Eyes

And I see the fanbase is attacking anyone who shares a negative opinion of it as always. Carry on.

[EDIT: Widely and specifically insulting comments removed. And just to be clear, I'd do this for any review, not just one of mine. - Key]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
Heavily edited post

did you actually take the time to read and comprehend why everyone was responding to his negativity?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
did you actually take the time to read and comprehend why everyone was responding to his negativity?

No dude, we're clearly just residing in a box, hugging each other with reassurance.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
Yay! This season's SAO is on full force with the autistic fanbase behind it. Surprise this review isn't sucking it off dry like most of Theron's reviews instead it's trying to downplay the numerous plot inconsistencies, bad writing and poor animation for the soundtrack alone. Rolling Eyes

And I see the fanbase is attacking anyone who shares a negative opinion of it as always. Carry on.

loooooool

You know when you're just trying too hard to be an elitist when this is all you can come up with roflroflrofl
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The start of the series is sloppy because the source chapters of the manga are sloppy, though this is in regards to the narrative and not the inconsistant animation quality.

The main trio had to be introduced, and certainly it shows that the writer of the manga isn't the best in emphasizing why Eren should be the lead male the audience should be following spoiler[(unquestionabley there are several other characters prior to the "reveal" that are more interesting surface wise]).

I can take it that a good chunk of the fandom is made up of the "holy shit this isn't yet another moe slice of life series" as an honest observation, however there are those that ARE looking forward to this series not just because "it is different" in that they want what AoT is trying to give, and that is giant "zombies" (yeah I know they aint zombies ;p) eating humans.
bunnyfoofoo05

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
Yay! This season's SAO is on full force with the autistic fanbase behind it. Surprise this review isn't sucking it off dry like most of Theron's reviews instead it's trying to downplay the numerous plot inconsistencies, bad writing and poor animation for the soundtrack alone. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, everyone...aka That dude from a few pages back.

Look, it's cool that you're above a fictional animated show and all, but there's no need to insult/troll a fanbase because you don't enjoy it. Plenty of people here (ScumbagYoshi, bleachj0j, ect.) have presented valid complains and haven't been jumped all over (Hell, I've agreed with a lot of it.) So you know...when you're ready to have a big boy/girl discussion on why it sucks, cool, we'll do it. (Although calling the majority of people here autistic might have skewed it out of your favor preemptively. Very Happy)

(Can...can this just stop for all shows? Like you could literally tell me that Queen's Blade or Boku no Pico is your personal religion and i'd fully support you. Liking/not liking something isn't going to add/detract from your i.q. score or make you a better person. The SAO fights from last summer were FREAKING REDICULOUS and i'd prefer to not see the same thing again this summer as well.)

On a different note...YOU ARE ALL WRONG, THE MADOKA MAGICA PARODY IS CLEARLY THE BEST!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7