• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Downloaded Sora no Otoshimono Copy Shown at Funimation Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote
The only thing that I find especially strange about this whole thing is that they were using subtitled videos in dubbing. How is that not annoying for the actors? And I'm not talking about the subs being on the screen since they can be turned off, I'm talking about having to wait until they put the line back up during each retake. It'd be easier to either look down at the physical script or look over to the other monitor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryojen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:36 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Nothing will come of this. Nobody cares about the stupid font thing.

Funimation owns the show in this region. A handful of zealots will pretend to be mad about this for weird internet political reasons, and continue to bring it up for another few months. There will be a few blog posts that use this as a basis for criticizing IP law. Some people who already weren't buying anything at all will point to it as a reason why they aren't buying anything. Fansub community drama queens will grandstand about it until nobody gives them any attention anymore, then they'll move on to the next "controversy", and the cycle will repeat the next time some meaningless thing like this comes down the pike.

Sorry, should've spoilered that I guess.

And this is why ANN is a joke. The staff (including the CEO himself) are quick to rush to Funimation's defense when this kind of hypocrisy comes to light. You continually condemn the fansubbers as self-absorbed, immature adolescents who pirate "for the lulz." You don't even make the slightest attempt to understand fansubber culture, instead painting them with broad, stereotypical strokes that help you maintain your veneer of self-important superiority. And why does ANN take such a black-and-white moralistic approach, always supporting Funimation and demonizing the fansubbers? Well, guess who pays for the advertising on this site...

You claim to be "the internet's most trusted anime news source." The sheer unprovability of that claim aside, I'm reminded of another news network that claims to be "fair and balanced."
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
Zac wrote:
Nothing will come of this. Nobody cares about the stupid font thing.

Funimation owns the show in this region. A handful of zealots will pretend to be mad about this for weird internet political reasons, and continue to bring it up for another few months. There will be a few blog posts that use this as a basis for criticizing IP law. Some people who already weren't buying anything at all will point to it as a reason why they aren't buying anything. Fansub community drama queens will grandstand about it until nobody gives them any attention anymore, then they'll move on to the next "controversy", and the cycle will repeat the next time some meaningless thing like this comes down the pike.

Sorry, should've spoilered that I guess.

And this is why ANN is a joke. The staff (including the CEO himself) are quick to rush to Funimation's defense when this kind of hypocrisy comes to light. You continually condemn the fansubbers as self-absorbed, immature adolescents who pirate "for the lulz." You don't even make the slightest attempt to understand fansubber culture, instead painting them with broad, stereotypical strokes that help you maintain your veneer of self-important superiority. And why does ANN take such a black-and-white moralistic approach, always supporting Funimation and demonizing the fansubbers? Well, guess who pays for the advertising on this site...

You claim to be "the internet's most trusted anime news source." The sheer unprovability of that claim aside, I'm reminded of another news network that claims to be "fair and balanced."

I think you are missing the point here. Zac is talking about people who even when there is a legal option for the show in the region they live in choose to use an non legal option. That is what he is trying to condemn.

Quote:
However, a source at the company who wished to remain anonymous said that the company occasionally uses "unofficial" copies during the dubbing process if the acquisition of the original source material is delayed. The source said that Funimation's license makes the use of the content legal, even with a third party's unauthorized changes.

Funimation did NOTHING WRONG here and this blurb above says it. Why people are still getting their panties in a bunch about it is beyond me.

And here is a question for you. If ANN is such a joke, why are you even coming here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:

And this is why ANN is a joke.

Never mind that there is no hypocrisy for a lack of anything stolen and that HorribleSubs does not even qualify as a fansub group.

Good job proving his point, though. Though I guess he did forget about the part where some people decide to shoot the messenger as opposed to even attempting an argument.

In full seriousness, you really should also think twice about how you're comparing a forum post--a forum post--with an opinion to actual news reporting.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 am; edited 3 times in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
And why does ANN take such a black-and-white moralistic approach, always supporting Funimation and demonizing the fansubbers? Well, guess who pays for the advertising on this site..

Yeah...totally. ANN is in the pocket of big anime. They just do whatever makes Funimation look good. That's why they go right ahead and report this thing which makes Funimation look bad. That's why they even go so far as to highlight the potential contradiction by reminding everyone that Funi is suing people for using fansubs in their news article. That totally makes sense.

But seriously bro, let me be clear here. That was sarcasm. What you are saying is completely inane even by the tremendously low standard set by internet forums.
Mirri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Yeah...totally. ANN is in the pocket of big anime. They just do whatever makes Funimation look good. That's why they go right ahead and report this thing which makes Funimation look bad. That's why they even go so far as to highlight the potential contradiction by reminding everyone that Funi is suing people for using fansubs in their news article. That totally makes sense.

ikillchicken wrote:

ANN is in the pocket of big anime.

I laughed out loud.

On topic:
Funimation owns the legal rights. They are not illegally distributing. There's not nearly as much controversy from companies about DOWNLOADING as there is about UPLOADING/DISTRIBUTING. (This does not mean downloading is legal)

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but this font is not being used for commercial purposes. Commercial purposes would entail the font being used in an official paid-for/intended for profit release, would it not?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:

People who have been here a long time like Zac do know what's going on. The reason people demonize pirates is because they are having a large negative effect on anime and manga. When One Piece is popular enough to have a very successful podcast large amounts of talkbacks in various forums, it should be selling 30,000 copies not 10,000 copies (at most)

What service does Horrible fansub preform? They don't translate anything they just rip stuff from Crunchyroll. You can find this stuff on Crunchyroll for free. There's no excuse to use Horrible Fansub at all.
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
What about the subs themselves? Has CR given permission to Funi to use their subs in this way, or do CR's and Funi's license agreements with the production committee let Funi use CR's subs in this way? There's obviously no reason for them to be using a downloaded episode with subtitles if they aren't using them in some fashion, and even if they found it more convenient to download Horrible's release, they would have turned off the subs if they weren't using them.
zaeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
What about the subs themselves? Has CR given permission to Funi to use their subs in this way, or do CR's and Funi's license agreements with the production committee let Funi use CR's subs in this way? There's obviously no reason for them to be using a downloaded episode with subtitles if they aren't using them in some fashion, and even if they found it more convenient to download Horrible's release, they would have turned off the subs if they weren't using them.

Lol, well I'm sure I won't be the only one quoting this but I'm curious about what permission are you talking about? HS themselves rip the subs directly from CR and also the fact that it is within Funi legal rights (contractual rights) to use the scripts themselves.

A thief does not own the right to give permission in the first place is what I find funny but otherwise it is within their(funi) licensing agreement to use CR scripts.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
maylo wrote:
tl;dr Using that font without a license is just as ethically and legally wrong as anime piracy and should not be belittled just because it's a font.

Do we actually have someone who knows if this is even considered use? My guess would be this isn't and thus a total non-issue. (IANAL)
Is Funi required to license all the fonts in the video that Japan used? Probably not and is included in the video rights. Is this font used by Funi in publishing anywhere? No.

Am I responsible for or required to have a license if I download a movie from a publisher that includes an unlicensed font? Pretty sure the answer is again, no.

Just the fact that FUNimation has the font on most likely multiple different computers is a copyright violation in itself if they don't have the appropriate single-computer licenses for all those computers or a company-wide license to use the font. Just take a look at Font Bureau's license for the font. These guys have also sued NBC for unauthorized usage of their fonts in the past over inappropriate licensing.

Also, FUNimation is quite unlikely to have the appropriate licenses for the font - I mean, who would license a font just to be able to legally use illegal rips for internal usage? Granted, they might have the appropriate licenses now after becoming aware of this whole thing, though.
Ryojen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
People who have been here a long time like Zac do know what's going on. The reason people demonize pirates is because they are having a large negative effect on anime and manga. When One Piece is popular enough to have a very successful podcast large amounts of talkbacks in various forums, it should be selling 30,000 copies not 10,000 copies (at most)

What service does Horrible fansub preform? They don't translate anything they just rip stuff from Crunchyroll. You can find this stuff on Crunchyroll for free. There's no excuse to use Horrible Fansub at all.

I fear that Zac and company are just a mite out of touch with modern otaku culture. If I recall correctly, Zac said on a recent ANNcast that fansubbing is really nothing more than a giant adolescent e-penis contest, focused on whoever can get their sub out the fastest. That's a rather ignorant and stereotypical view of the whole affair.

Anyhoo, the film and music industry tried to make the same claim... that piracy was responsible for their lagging sales. Of course, that claim has repeatedly been proven false, but that doesn't stop them from using the same old song and dance. Funimation is playing the same game, using fansubbers as a scapegoat to cover their own asses. But tell me, if the situation is really so dire, how is Crunchyroll doing so well? Possibly because they're offering a superior product (HD streaming) as compared to Funimation's undeniably substandard streaming efforts?

Nobody cares that Funi is using HorribleSubs rips. What we DO care about is their constant whining about how piracy is "killing the industry." We know that's a lie, Funi. Stop making excuses and adapt your business model to a post-piracy environment like Crunchyroll did. The only way to beat the fansubbers is to offer a better product than them.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=171731&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135
Tempest already pointed out on the thread about this on the anime forum that it's pretty much guaranteed Funimation has the rights to Crunchyroll's translation.

I'd suggest everyone check out that thread and his posts on the matter before they go rambling off about these things. Also, agree with Zac's post about this- the only people who are going to get miffed don't buy Funimation's releases, are anti-creator's right advocates/anit-IP and hate R1 anime already anyways.

Just got 2 Funimation dvd's yesterday- plotting my next preorder Smile Hope to get Evangelion 2.22, though might wait and opt for somethingelse. Yay supporting people who make stuff!
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
zaeris wrote:
Gamen wrote:

Lol, well I'm sure I won't be the only one quoting this but I'm curious about what permission are you talking about? HS themselves rip the subs directly from CR and also the fact that it is within Funi legal rights (contractual rights) to use the scripts themselves.

A thief does not own the right to give permission in the first place is what I find funny but otherwise it is within their(funi) licensing agreement to use CR scripts.

Perhaps I'm ignorant of some of the facts. I thought Crunchyroll had gone legit years ago and now licenses the anime it streams (e.g. Sora no Otoshimono). If its translations are authorized, then they're protected. Thus Funi would either need permission directly from CR, or something in CR's license agreement to allow the production committee to relicense the subtitles to Funi.

If CR's subs are unauthorized, well sure, anyone with the rights to Sora no Otoshimono can use them. Same situation as when ODEX used a.f.k.'s translation of Haruhi years ago.

Edit: And reading Tempest's post in the other thread, I'm guessing my original question has been answered. And that CR does license its offerings now.

Last edited by Gamen on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryojen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I'd suggest everyone check out that thread and his posts on the matter before they go rambling off about these things. Also, agree with Zac's post about this- the only people who are going to get miffed don't buy Funimation's releases, are anti-creator's right advocates/anit-IP and hate R1 anime already anyways.

There you go, painting all of us with the same broad brush. I have thousands of dollars worth of Funimation DVDs sitting on my shelf, and I am pissed as hell at them right now. But I guess I don't fit into your neat little "evil counterculture pirate" stereotype, so you're just going to go ahead and ignore my arguments.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I say ANN is a joke. Posting here gets you trapped between the mods and their sycophants.
equanxx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
If anyone is interested in some case law you should check out Anderson v. Stallone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_v._Stallone)

Sylvester Stallone was basically able to take a script some guy had written for Rocky 4 and use it to make the movie, since Stallone hadn't authorized him to write it. Fun stuff
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10