• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Valvrave the Liberator episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
They don't HAVE to be, but Valvrave is a ridiculous mecha show. The protagonists of them are usually heroic kinds of people. This show isn't some kind of deep deconstruction of the concept of heroism in fiction or summat.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Things are getting too heated in here. Could we please have a Mod-implemented moratorium on all discussion in this thread about spoiler[rape], whether it pertains to Valvrave The Liberator or not? Just to calm things down.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't think any topic should ever be considered taboo, a show can approach a topic very very badly and then it's perfectly legitimate to despise it, but I don't believe there is ever any subject that should not be covered in popular media. These thing do happen, it suck but it does. Now you would need some proper warning bell ahead of time for people that aren't interested/too young for this to know not too watch it, which is surprising considering most of valvrave seems aimed at younger audience.

Quite ironic that not too long ago any act of homosexuality on screen, like say a girl kissing another girl, was completely taboo. I dunno for you but I'm glad that changed.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
They don't HAVE to be, but Valvrave is a ridiculous mecha show. The protagonists of them are usually heroic kinds of people.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that Valvrave can't be an exception.
Boxes, Chagen.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I don't think any topic should ever be considered taboo, a show can approach a topic very very badly and then it's perfectly legitimate to despise it, but I don't believe there is ever any subject that should not be covered in popular media.

No one is saying it can't be covered in fiction or it should be taboo. We are saying it was done badly.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
meiam wrote:
I don't think any topic should ever be considered taboo, a show can approach a topic very very badly and then it's perfectly legitimate to despise it, but I don't believe there is ever any subject that should not be covered in popular media.

No one is saying it can't be covered in fiction or it should be taboo. We are saying it was done badly.

Yes, this.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

....spoiler[the main character raped someone. There are certain places you don't go and rape is one of them. Especially not the main character raping somone and still being considered the protagonist].

I am not impressed by your juvenile attitude and lack of respect, but besides that...objectively speaking, I don't see why there should be places where fiction just shouldn't go. Both better and worse shows than Valvrave have already gone there, with varying results, including a few of the anime titles that have been previously mentioned in this thread.

Just as well, I don't mind the fact some people feel disgusted by this. I understand there are different sensibilities at work.

Quote:
spoiler[That implies that the people who made this show consider rapists to be HEROES]

Not at all. I don't see how you could possibly reach that conclusion.

There's been no suggestion that such an act is "heroic" or worthy of praise.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Yes, this.

But apparently you both happen to think that doing it "well" means there's only one possible way to deal with the subject and nothing else will ever suffice. I think that's too limiting, considering the topic has been present in fiction for centuries, in various forms that aren't always agreeable.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But apparently you both happen to think that doing it "well" means there's only one possible way to deal with the subject and nothing else will ever suffice. I think that's too limiting, considering the topic has been present in fiction for centuries, in various forms that aren't always agreeable.

And the way Valvrave does it is awful.

Quote:
Sure, but that doesn't mean that Valvrave can't be an exception.
Boxes, Chagen.

Cut it with the boxes bullshit, you don't actually care about that thing at all and you're just attacking me with some shit that's so vague it's Wronger Than Wrong.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

spoiler[RAPE IS BAD MMMKAY?]

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen, I'm just trying to help you become a better person. Sad
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Things are getting too heated in here. Could we please have a Mod-implemented moratorium on all discussion in this thread about spoiler[rape], whether it pertains to Valvrave The Liberator or not? Just to calm things down.

Nope.

If the show's going to do something that controversial then we get to hear the arguments from all sides.

I'll shut it down if it starts getting really nasty (Chagen be as angry as you like but refrain from calling people 'wastes of skin' or whatever) but "NO YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THIS" isn't what I'm going to do.

I don't know why a dumb, goofy-ass show like Valvrave would have something like that in it in the first place. Christ, come up with something better if you want to be controversial.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I don't know why a dumb, goofy-ass show like Valvrave would have something like that in it in the first place. Christ, come up with something better if you want to be controversial.

Or at the very least be interesting.

I can think of half a dozen ways Valvrave could have had spoiler[rape] that still would have been highly inappropriate and offensive, but would have been at least been interesting.

This was literally the laziest plot-device they possibly could have come up with.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
@Zac:

I just thought that people were getting too aggro and so the topic needed a rest. Not a complete ban, just a time out.

Plus, the controversial incident in question doesn't even happen until episode ten, outside the scope of this review. I'm sure if Theron ever does a review for the second half of this season then we can talk about this incident all we like in that discussion thread. As it is, poor Theron (and no doubt others) has already been spoiled on the incident before he's watched the episode in question by certain people not using spoiler tags.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

And the way Valvrave does it is awful.

That's a matter of personal opinion. Look, I'm not exactly glad that this happened myself, but the show hasn't exactly glorified the act as an admirable thing either. Even if it's not loudly proclaiming its wrongness to all four corners of the world, the two characters involved aren't remotely happy about it. Nobody is celebrating this...well, with one creepy exception that's clearly presented as such and isn't either of the characters in question.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

spoiler[RAPE IS BAD MMMKAY?]

Yes, it is.

Zac wrote:

If you want an answer other than "because of shock value" or "because it'll lead to something else down the line " ...I guess it's just a way to raise the stakes about the whole "give up your humanity" angle. Goofy doesn't mean nobody dies or gets hurt, especially since it's close to a season break.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

Or at the very least be interesting.

I can think of half a dozen ways Valvrave could have had spoiler[rape] that still would have been highly inappropriate and offensive, but would have been at least been interesting.

This was literally the laziest plot-device they possibly could have come up with.

It's a bit lazy, but if you're even willing to contemplate that, then it can still prove to be interesting down the line. Not so much because of the act itself but due to its consequences, even if they're not the ones you apparently happen to consider as an obligation.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
It's a bit lazy, but if you're even willing to contemplate that, then it can still prove to be interesting down the line. Not so much because of the act itself but due to its consequences, even if they're not the ones you apparently happen to consider as an obligation.

They easily could have achieved the exact same result with 100% less spoiler[rape] and without ruining spoiler[Saki's] character in the process.

I'm just incredibly disappointed in the show. This was hack writing by a hack writer and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves. And no "shock value" is not a good excuse either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11