• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Summer 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
I like the character designs and vaguely Italian aesthetic, I'm not making any further judgements because I have nothing to base them on.

I'm most interested in this, Watamote, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Monogatari Second Season and Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS. This is probably the biggest wildcard (the rest I have familiarity with the source material or shows they're sequels to), but I hope to be pleasantly surprised by some of the other shows I'm not hyped for. This season Yuyushiki, Muromi-san, Aiura and Hataraku Maou-sama were unexpectedly very good (or maybe I just don't give moe and comedy shows much benefit of the doubt).

Oh, if Turning Girls counts as this season, then that's one of my favourites after the excellent first episode.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
So how exactly do you tell if this is a Magical Girl show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fPz-ycVZ08
How exactly do you tell that it's not a Magical Girl show?

You do know that a transformation doesn't necessarily mean 'Magical Girl' right? Otherwise Panty & Stocking would be magical girls. Razz
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

You do know that a transformation doesn't necessarily mean 'Magical Girl' right? Otherwise Panty & Stocking would be magical girls. Razz
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Otherwise Panty & Stocking would be magical girls. Razz

..But they are.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Otherwise Panty & Stocking would be magical girls. Razz

..But they are.

Says who?
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I just scanned the Summer poster quickly. Anyone see any adults in these shows? Maybe I missed one, but otherwise it looks like another round in the never-ending array of adolescents.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Servant x Service, and Genshiken
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Says who?

Transformation sequences, episodic bad guys, magical weapons, collection quest macguffins, cuddly animal mascot, how is Panty and Stocking not a magical girl show?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Transformations, all girls cast, MAGIC and talismans (in that title - a Tarot cards) - check. Just open your eyes, seriously.
And yeah, P&S may considered as a "mahou shoujo" title too.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I just scanned the Summer poster quickly. Anyone see any adults in these shows? Maybe I missed one, but otherwise it looks like another round in the never-ending array of adolescents.

Um, that's the April 1st version (disappointing, as several of the "jokes" were shows that I thought sounded interesting).

This one might be a little better. (Though it lists the delayed remake of Sailor Moon, so it's not up to date.)

But, in addition to Servant x Service and Genshiken, there's Silver Spoon. The first is about adults, the latter two about college students.

Last edited by dm on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Servant x Service, and Genshiken

Well, I've never been a fan of Genshiken. As for Servant x Service which is billed as an office comedy, for me the standard of comparison in that genre is Hataraki Man with its remarkable performance by Tanaka Rie. That show set a pretty high standard.

noitaminA is running another comedy based in an agricultural school called Silver Spoon. I wonder if Fuji expects it to attract the Moyashimon audience. I liked that show quite a bit, as much for the educational material on microbes and sake brewing as for the story itself. I usually try everything on noitaminA so I guess I'll put Silver Spoon on my list for now.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Transformations, all girls cast, MAGIC and talismans (in that title - a Tarot cards) - check. Just open your eyes, seriously.
And yeah, P&S may considered as a "mahou shoujo" title too.

Magical Girl is a GENRE. Nowhere have I seen Panty & Stocking classified as such. I'm not being willfully ignorant; I just want solid classification. Razz
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
@yuna49 I feel like a parrot now,but you should check out Uchoten Kazoku(most of the cast are actually adults).
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
Wait, the Moon Card is "Luna Tsukuyomi"? Most. Unoriginal. Name. Ever.

Anyway, I'll watch il sole penetra le illusioni, because I've never had a anime with an Italian title fail me.

Also on my list are Prisma Illya (Although Type Moon is horrible at comedy), Devils and Realists (Although it's totally a BL show), Rozen Maiden 3: Desu Strikes Back, HS DxD 2 (Bewbs), Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Monogatari: We Ran out of Clever Puns, Blood Lad (Vampire Weeaboo), and Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui (I read the first manga volume and it is hilarious).

It's shaping to be a fine season.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
@yuna49 I feel like a parrot now,but you should check out Uchoten Kazoku(most of the cast are actually adults).

That was the other one that I briefly considered.

I guess I should just stop expecting to see mature dramas, or comedy/dramas, with adult characters in anime and just be pleasantly surprised when something like Hyouge Mono or Sarai-ya Goyou appears. It's just sad that only one or two such shows seem to be produced per year nowadays.

Even noitaminA has succumbed to marketplace demands and increased the number of shows about adolescents it produces. I still watch shows like tsuritama and Sakamichi no Apollon, but I yearn for the days of Mononoke and Nodame Cantabile. I don't read manga, but I presume there are still plenty of manga written for adults. I guess they just don't get adapted to anime any more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10