• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 Essential Graphic Novels for Public Libraries

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malroth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:10 pm Reply with quote
OK, bit of quick background here. I work at a Public Library, and am basicly in charge of the Graphic Novels section that they've just started. My boss went to a seminar, and one of the speakers talked about graphic novels, even though he said "I really don't know much about this, but..". So, she came back, and put me to task to come up with a list of 20 essential graphic novels..to compare to the list that she got at the seminar. Just looking for a bit of input from others...I have my own ideas of course, but here's the list that I was given.

Remember, this is Graphic Novels, not just Manga. Wink

1. 9-11: The World's Finest comic book writers and artists...
2. 9-11: Artists respond
3. Ultimate Spider Man
4. Electric Girl: Volume 1
5. Marvels
6. Superman: The Man of Steel
7. Birds of Prey
8. Contract with God
9. Big Book of Urban Legends
10. Ghost World
11. The High Cost of Living
12. Ultimate X-Men - The Tomorrow People
13. Batman - The Dark Knight Returns
14. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
15. Akira
16. Bone - Out from Boneville
17. Daredevil Visionaries Vol. V
18. Ranma 1/2
19. Kingdom Come
20. Pedro & Me

Now granted, my list includes things like Nausicaa (already have X-Men God Loves Man Kills Smile, but wanting other people's opinions. Smile

Mike
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:37 pm Reply with quote
From Hell
Road to Perdition
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Manga graphic novels seem to be the ones topping the sales charts more often than not...

...Though admittedly, I don't follow non-manga graphic novels very closely, but the reports we've seen here certainly support the idea that a lot of graphic novel-ites read Japanese material.

Perhaps you should mention this to your boss, along with some of the figures that have been announced here over the past year perhaps, and recommend that he make manga a bigger part of your graphic novel offerings?

Just a thought.
Malroth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

Perhaps you should mention this to your boss, along with some of the figures that have been announced here over the past year perhaps, and recommend that he make manga a bigger part of your graphic novel offerings?

Just a thought.

Actually, she's asking me to make a list, and then most likely she'll just pick things off of the list, so basicly I'm in charge of it. Smile Personally, I'd fill the shelves of the Graphic Novel section with manga (it already predominently is)..and like I said, I have my own list that I'm working up, but I'm trying to get some other ideas that I may not think of, either because I've forgotten it, or because of the backwoods area that I'm from, haven't heard of it.

Mike
Aurora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I read in Newtype that Manga was doing a lot better than american comics in the charts and such. As a result, I think Marvel is creaing the Tsunami line... something like that...

I don't think my local library even HAS a graphic novel section..... There's the garfield and Calvin and Hobbes, but really, I think thats it....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Jakala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:53 pm Reply with quote
20 Essential Graphic Novels?

Well, I'd add:
  • Understanding Comics
  • Watchmen
  • Swamp Thing (one of the early Moore volumes)
  • Sandman - any volume
  • Astro City
  • Oh My Goddess!
  • Jimmy Corrigan
  • Uzumaki
  • Some early Marvel stuff (Essentials or Masterworks reprints of FF, Spider-Man, etc.)
  • Some early DC stuff (Archives reprints of Batman, Superman, WW, JLA, etc.)
A bit Western-centered, but that's still where the bulk of my experience lies.
animaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:28 pm Reply with quote
yeah I'd like to see more in my library: uzumaki, more ranma, and maybe some initial d, gto, ragnarok, everything. But alas almost none.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
billslates

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I would add Maus, but I believe that's considered as a book.

Concerning manga, manga is good, but its better to try to diversify your selection and try to get graphic novels that introduce people to many different styles and genres, especially considering that its a lot easier to get most of the titled manga than most of the titled american/international comics.

Its pretty interesting, though. There's a shelf of graphic novels and comic compilations that i've found. Pretty good selection they have.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It's cool that you want to put in Manga, but don't forget that there are Graphic Novels from more than two countries in the world. There are some exceptional comics that have been coming out of Europe for decades and you might want to look at some of those as well.

I'd particularly suggest a current tiltle called "Peter Pan," it's a very dark re-make of its name sake.

If you mostly populate the list with Manga it would be unprofessional, try to give the best from several different categories.

A couple North American "Super Hero" titles, a couple North American "Aternative," a couple European titles, a couple Manga, a couple non-Manga asian titles, etc...

From Manga, I would suggest looking for the best, not the most entertaining. Stuff that will make the readers think. And as much as I love GTO, it doesn't make me think. It doesn't necessarilly have to be dry and boring (then I'd suggest Joan) though.

Uzomaki (I hate that manga, but admit it's good), Akira, Nausicaa, Gunm, Ghost in the Shell, Vagabond, Eagle....
Malroth

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips..honesly have no idea about quality stuff outside of US/Japan unfortunately, and just because of the area that I'm in, I'm more familiar with the US graphic novels than Manga, so really there's no chance of it just being manga here.

Basiclly, the first round that we got was some of your more popular US Television/Anime stuffs...DB, DBZ, Sailor Moon, CCS, etc..gotta start somewhere right? We're most likely going to be getting a grant from the state in the next few months, so while I'm going to be recommending some other manga (hate to say it, but we're lacking in Peach Girl. Rolling Eyes ), it's definately going to be more heavy on the US side this time..we don't have Marvels, we don't have Kingdom Come, we don't have Maus, etc, etc.

And while I agree with ya Tempest that we need more substance than fluff (which again, I'm workin on!), we're just starting the section, so have to add a lot of fluff too.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Ghost World, It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken, From Hell, anything by Eddie Campbell, anything by the Hernandez Bros., all Tintin books, and Maus belong in libraries. They don't all belong in the children's section, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Maus
Road to Perdition
From Hell
Akira
Ranma 1/2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Simpsons Comics anthologys
The League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Inuyasha
Oh! My Goddess
Ghost World
GTO (personal thing Wink )
billslates

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I find David Boring better than Ghost World. They're by the same author, Daniel Clowes.
At least David Boring had a point. Ghost World was interesting, but there was no real sense of an ending, or some type of resolution. It felt like it was just showing a part of two cynical girls lives. If you check out Same Difference(http://www.smallstoriesonline.com), you see something similar to that, but there is a resolution, even though it really isn't considered an "ending".
thatismynoodle

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Good picks so far. Here are some more.

Sin City: That Yellow Bastard
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: Dark Victory
Rising Stars
Ronin
Daredevil: Born Agian
Daredevil: Yellow
Spiderman: Blue

yes yes I'm completely in love with Loeb, Sale, and Miller.
ashram12

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm more familiar with manga titles, and personally I think Akira and Adolf are two REALLY great titles. There's also Nausicaa, Gunm and Blade of the Immortal (both are gory at times). As for titles that aren't as serious or groundbreaking, I would get Mars or Paradise Kiss. On a side note, it'll be cool if the library had titles geared toward girls as most people perceive comics tobe a boy thing.
European comics worth looking at: Tintin, Corto Maltese, anything by Enki Bilal or Schuiten.
Finally American comics, which I know the least about except for the supehero stuff. Sandman is a pretty good series, Maus and Understanding Comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2