• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Metal Gear's Shinkawa Draws Pacific Rim Poster & Japan's Creators Laud Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
EVA has no religious philosophy. Anno went on record saying the symbols were just stuff added to look edgy. It'd be like me slapping Taoist imagery in a crime drama because it looks foreign to Americans.

Also, please, please, PLEASE let this movie beat Grown Ups 2 at the box office. Please.

An interesting article on the subject.
http://www.sbf5.com/~cduan/writings/eva-resp.shtml
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
but they definitely tend to praise stuff that we regard as genuine crap, just because high-budget American blockbusters aren't something that they're quite as good at and accustomed to over there.

They tend to like the schlocky stuff more and view that as the standard for American cinema. Just to give you some examples, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Mummy 3, Sweeney Todd, and Kung Fu Panda all did better than The Dark Knight that year because critics panned it as being 'too serious' because superhero movies are suppose to be fun and outrageous. Meanwhile everyone was flipping out over that movie in America and it was the highest grossing movie of that year here.

That's pretty much why the Resident Evil movies do so well in Japan and are huge. They're dumb, they're stupid, they're fun.. and that's what they like that out of cinema. Resident Evil: Retribution did better than The Avengers did in Japan while it wasn't much of a blip on the radar here. Though to be fair Avengers was pretty schlocky Hollywood summer movie too.

I have no real interest in this movie myself, nor any 'live-action adaptions' that people are hoping this will inspire, but it would be nice of 'giant robots' meant more than just Michael Bay's Transformers movies to the average person here.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
I think the problem for some of the younger Western anime fans is that their main introduction to big mecha battles with monsters is EVA, so anything they see similar is in their mind a rip-off.

On a separate note, I'm quite excited that all these big names in the Japanese industry are praising this film.
It would have been quite easy for them to dismiss this film as your typical special effect galore Hollywood ordeal, but hopefully this means there is more to it than that.

Can't wait to watch it now!

Personally, my introduction into the mecha genre was Mobile Suit Gundam not NGE (I'm that old). And you can't deny the similarities between NGE and Pacific Rim.
Examples:
-Pilots needing to sync with their mechs (two man team sync introduced in Eva 3.0).
-Major world powers building their own versions of the mechs and selecting pilots native to the country of origin.
-Robots fighting monsters that conventional weapons can't bring down.
-Apocalypse.
-Creating monsters to fight monsters (in Eva's case creating gods to fight gods).
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I... want... that... poster... Cool

SO would I. if it wasnt for the fact that it was directed by him. i would think that movie was a japaneese live action move that is using american actors.

Hopefully it wont get trashed like battleship did cause though i enjoyed that movie , it didn't do too well in theaters and i have a really bad feeling this movie wont do well either. not to mentioned get trashed by critics just like battleship.

Quote:
Del Toro is developing a live-action television adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's suspense manga Monster, and he already outlined the first season's episodes so Urasawa can review it before giving permission.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I really hope its some very bad joke. He's a good director , but come on. trying to make a live action TV of Monster is a disaster waiting to happen. Its a good manga and a very good anime series, but having it in live action especially directed by a US director wont work at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

Megumi Hayashibara as Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi)

Why is Megumi dubbing over a fellow Japanese? Confused

Yeah that's what I'm wondering, Rinko should be the one dubbing over her character for the Japanese dub just like how Jackie Chan dub himself for the English dub for some of his film.

Also nice to see couple of Japanese personality like Go Nagai, Hideo Kojima and others to praise Pacific Rim. I think this film could do well in Japan with this promotion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
I think the problem for some of the younger Western anime fans is that their main introduction to big mecha battles with monsters is EVA, so anything they see similar is in their mind a rip-off.

On a separate note, I'm quite excited that all these big names in the Japanese industry are praising this film.
It would have been quite easy for them to dismiss this film as your typical special effect galore Hollywood ordeal, but hopefully this means there is more to it than that.

Can't wait to watch it now!

Personally, my introduction into the mecha genre was Mobile Suit Gundam not NGE (I'm that old). And you can't deny the similarities between NGE and Pacific Rim.
Examples:
-Pilots needing to sync with their mechs (two man team sync introduced in Eva 3.0).
-Major world powers building their own versions of the mechs and selecting pilots native to the country of origin.
-Apocalypse.
-Creating monsters to fight monsters (in Eva's case creating gods to fight gods).
So basically these "simulates" are shallow things and basically things that are part of the general giant robot genre?

These examples are pretty poor. It's not the Apocalypse. You're stretching the building monsters line which if anything is just an analogy and as far as we know, not some actual plot point like in Eva or anything.

And really there's no point to look at these examples because they really just seem like nitpicks. Things that seem like similarities when you force them together and bend them as vague as you can without the context of what they are in the actual product. It's almost like saying every superhero who gets powers from science is a Spiderman rip-off because you can see shallow simulairty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
grouwl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
for all our 14 year olds here in this thread and younger, yes...you were born when EVA was a huge hit and really...it didn't go away, kept coming back like a zombie that never really dies, but is not that original and yes, is not THAT edgier either, it's a creation from concepts borrowed from TOP O NERAE GUNBUSTER and HONNEAMISE NO TSUBASA, both creations had ANNO and SAKAMOTO on it, not that you know who these guys are or seen these movies/ovas, but yep, your EVA is not original by a long shot.

let's go back a bit ok? 1962 had a black and white cartoon in japan called TETSUJIN 28 GO based on a 1956 manga about A BOY WHO CONTROLS A GIANT ROBOT FIGHTING ALIENS, CRIMINALS AND MONSTERS.

this, my friends, was the first giant robot controlled, it came from japan and thousands of robots later, we got the Pacific rim mechas.

now, DANGAIOH was controlled by 4 guys, 3 babes and the kid that's supposed to be "you" Voltron was controlled by 5, Zeorymer was controlled by 2 and the Gunbuster (buster machine 01 & 02 combined, the BASE of the EVA, were controlled by 2 alos, no rip offs here)

dude, did you just read what Go Nagai said? what Sakamoto said? what Kojima said? Pacific Rim is a damn anime forked and modified to appear as a big Hollywood movie, but being live action, it has also a lot from godzilla, don't give me the "it's power rangers" cause i don't see five guys in spandex kicking rubber costumed bad guys.
it's worth seeing it, Del Toro knows movie making and Michael Bay can't hold a candle to it, so next time you want to say "it's an EVA Ripoff" read a little bit more about the past and you will see that the 50's and 60's carry more of the 2013 actual sci-fi than 2013's new works that have been generated.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Kojima is known for being a huge self-hating Japanese person so it is not surprising Smile Like some would say anime fans wish they were Japanese, Kojima curses the day he was born Japanese and wishes he was a glorious gaijin like us and constantly put himself and his nation down. He's the only one who gushes praise yet the other guys merely call it fun in a casual method and given how Japan view American cinema I take the comments with a grain of salt. Kojima's praise makes me more wary of it given the other stuff he says.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
Examples:
-Apocalypse.

Now the cool thing will be if we also have psychoanalysis of the socially alienated teenager main characters.

EVA was pretty much a study of teenager depression, social alienation and psychological problems in general slapped over a scaffolding of standard mecha tropes. In fact Anno discarded all the mecha stuff in the last 3-4 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:

Examples:
-Apocalypse.

1) MazinSaga, by Go Nagai. 1990.
2) Getter Robo, Ken Ishikawa. 1974.
3) Great Mazinger, Go Nagai. (the Mycenae Empire),1972. Also; Getter by Ishikawa again. 1974.(Dinosaur Empire.) Also; Dancougar 1985.
4) Most mecha shows...period?
5) Space Runaway Ideon, 1980, Yoshiyuki Tomino.

Besides, Toro's even said that he hasn't seen Eva but instead cited stuff like Patlabour (didn't save the picture, sorry) but saying those similarities are strictly related to Eva is a stretch.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
I heard this movie is basically a rip off of Evangelion without the deep religious philosophy. If it is I would rather see a live action Eva film then a knockoff.

hardly, it just giant robot vs monster; more like big-o, mazinger..... etc etc.

the evas are giants in armor themselves, the jaegers are full on robots. the aesthetics and story are nothing like nge by far, perhaps some hints here and there but nothing extensive.
Julliant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
Any full-on hate before watching this movie is just plain close-minded. I've watched this movie twice now and it's really one of the top if not the best action movie I've watched in my life.

I'm a huge anime fan and this is a true homage/tribute to the genre of mecha and kaiju (Evangelion be damned, they're as about as similar as Batman is a rip-off of Spiderman) with a Hollywood budget.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
It may have gotten 60% on RT, but all the critics who count in my mind generally liked it.

And LOL at the 14 year olds in here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
It has a 71% on RT, right now. I'll be seeing it on Tuesday or so.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
And LOL at the 14 year olds in here.

"Eva invented giant robots." - 14 year olds
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4