• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Shin Megami Tensei IV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveriley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
There's been a glut of Megami Tensei games over the past few years. Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers, Persona. These games share the overwhelming majority of their mechanics and themes with one another. You can't acting like the mainline games exist in a vacuum and that there's been absolutely no MegaTen games since Nocturne because there hasn't been one with a number in the title.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:
There's been a glut of Megami Tensei games over the past few years. Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers, Persona. These games share the overwhelming majority of their mechanics and themes with one another. You can't acting like the mainline games exist in a vacuum and that there's been absolutely no MegaTen games since Nocturne because there hasn't been one with a number in the title.

Persona isn't Megami Tensei. It was just labeled that way for US release to give it more recognizability (kinda like how those old Saga games were labeled as Final Fantasy Adventure).
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:

While these games share some mechanics, themes, and demons you can't really say they are similar enough to draw direct comparison outside their own series. Soul Hackers and Strange Journey are both first person dungeon crawlers. But Soul Hackers has its own unique party mechanics then the main series Strange Journey. Devil Survivor is a strategy game more like Fire Emblem of Final Fantasy Tactics then anything else.

I honestly don't know what mechanics Persona uses, but I suspect its quite different then any of the above.

Yes they are all related, but not to the point that you can draw conclusions from one spin-off to another.

RyanSaotome wrote:
daveriley wrote:

Persona isn't Megami Tensei. It was just labeled that way for US release to give it more recognizability (kinda like how those old Saga games were labeled as Final Fantasy Adventure).

This argument is a bit loaded. Persona is obviously a spin-off of SMT due to Demons. And the first Persona game in Japan did have the SMT main title. It was dropped for follow up games, and rereleases. But the connection is definitely still there.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
It's not like that at all.

Saga is an actual separate series and that complete name change, not just saying it's under the FF label like Atlus does comes from a completely different time. After the NES days Square didn't go like Final Fantasy Unlimited, no it was just called Unlimited Saga.

Also why do you think they put these games under SMT? It must be because they share something. There's no SMT: Etrian Odyssey, so it's not just "hey it's a jrpg call it SMT whatever".

Persona is a spin-off with connection to the series. It is under the SMT umbrella and it does share everything from character models to game mechanics. And thats true for all the Persona games. P1 has gameplay trappings found in things like Soul Hackers. The P2 games have game mechanics found in SMT 2. And P3 and P4 basicly have the gameplay mechanics from SMT3 just like DDS.

Why people get out of shape out of technicalities I'm not sure. When the Japanese company itself thinks it can put them under an umbrella, it's pretty obvious they share a common lineage.

Actually Joel is even more correct since he used the Megami Tensei tittle and dropped the Shin.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Dumb question. Why doesn't ANN have a video game forum? I'd bet there's enough Japanese based Video game chit-chat to easy justify it.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Persona isn't Megami Tensei.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Also why do you think they put these games under SMT? It must be because they share something. There's no SMT: Etrian Odyssey, so it's not just "hey it's a jrpg call it SMT whatever".

Persona is a spin-off with connection to the series. It is under the SMT umbrella and it does share everything from character models to game mechanics. And thats true for all the Persona games. P1 has gameplay trappings found in things like Soul Hackers. The P2 games have game mechanics found in SMT 2. And P3 and P4 basicly have the gameplay mechanics from SMT3 just like DDS.

Why people get out of shape out of technicalities I'm not sure. When the Japanese company itself thinks it can put them under an umbrella, it's pretty obvious they share a common lineage.

Actually Joel is even more correct since he used the Megami Tensei tittle and dropped the Shin.

This. A million times, this.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Persona is Shin Megami Tensei.

Shin Megami Tensei is not Persona.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Persona is not Shin Megami Tensei. You can not refute this no matter how many silly internet pictures you post. Show me on the cover where it calls itself Shin Megami Tensei outside the American version.

Sharing certain elements is not enough justification to say they're the same line; Star Ocean and Tales games share a lot of elements; especially back during the PSX era where they were developed by the same people and used similar items and mechanics and whatnot, but Star Ocean and Tales are not the same line. You're basically saying Rockman and Dead Rising are the same thing because they both have those yellow robot guys in them and are made by Capcom.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Persona is a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off. This is indisputable. Not sure why you are trying.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Persona is not Shin Megami Tensei. You can not refute this no matter how many silly internet pictures you post. Show me on the cover where it calls itself Shin Megami Tensei outside the American version.

Sharing certain elements is not enough justification to say they're the same line; Star Ocean and Tales games share a lot of elements; especially back during the PSX era where they were developed by the same people and used similar items and mechanics and whatnot, but Star Ocean and Tales are not the same line. You're basically saying Rockman and Dead Rising are the same thing because they both have those yellow robot guys in them and are made by Capcom.

This is the argument you're making: "Frasier" has nothing to do with "Cheers".
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Persona is not Shin Megami Tensei.

Correct. But "Persona" and "SMT" are both part of the "Megami Tensei" franchise. Franchise, not series; the last entry of the "Megami Tensei" series was over 20 years ago.

Quote:
You're basically saying Rockman and Dead Rising are the same thing because they both have those yellow robot guys in them and are made by Capcom.

...Did you seriously just write that? I'm not sure if the hyperbole here is funny or sad. Or both.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Of course Star Ocean and Tales aren't under the same label.

They aren't published by the same company.

All the Megmi Tensi games are.

And I guess when the Japanese company either signed off or told it's other branches or licensees to put these games under a label I guess they didn't know what they were talking about.

And I guess when Mich D, the person who you know localized these games and was on the 1up podcast about Persona and talked about how it fits in with the other MT games, i guess he was wrong to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Persona is a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off. This is indisputable. Not sure why you are trying.

You didn't say "spin-off", you said "Persona is Shin Megami Tensei". Persona is "Megami Ibunroku", along with Devil Survivor. This is indisputable and says right on the box. Had you said Persona was a "spin-off" of Shin Megami Tensei, then it'd be accurate, but you didn't. There's different lines Atlas makes, just how Nippon Ichi games are not all Disgaea games despite same characters and playstyles existing in them all.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
And I guess when Mich D, the person who you know localized these games and was on the 1up podcast about Persona and talked about how it fits in with the other MT games, i guess he was wrong to.

What localizers say have no merit on the subject.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
You mean people given the actual materials by the company to work on the game have no merit and don't know what is what?

But you do.

Ok buddy.

I feel like the Atlus localizesers actually probably are a bit more informed on these things.

Hell I feel like Atlus itself deciding to have the games labeled that way is enough of an example.

Did they label Catherine as under this umbrella? No, but they do the other games. Now if you want to get bent out of shape because people talk about the series freely and use SMT to denote the franchisee and those specific Atlus games, then fine by me. But it's incredibly lame. You know that when they say "SMT series", they turly mean the Megami Tensi games.

And of course they don't label those games in Japan, they don't have to get the word out like they do here.
Quote:
You're basically saying Rockman and Dead Rising are the same thing because they both have those yellow robot guys in them and are made by Capcom.
Tell me, where has Capcom made a Dead Rising that shares the same mechanics, monster designs(complete with almost the same stats and aliments ect in between games), and gameplay ideas as a Mega Man game. Oh and had Capcom USA specifically market them so people know these games have a spiritual connection.

Because then you're analogy makes sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3