• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
I hope they don't come out of Chapter 11. I want 4Kids gone; I have for a long time. Their adaptions have been a slap in the face to anime fans everywhere.

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
That's what you get for turning Sanji's cigarette into a lollipop. Hmph.

Oh man I didn't think I would ever defend 4kids, but this is getting very juvenile. I could understand if they did anything directly to hurt the industry, but you're rooting for people to lose their jobs over a cartoon a being modified to appeal to a younger audience? Add to that all of the shows people complained about are available completely unedited, including Yugioh by 4Kids themselves.

I apologize for my tone. I have a tendency to say what's on my mind without thinking it through first
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
4Kids were also behind the Viva Pinata! cartoon. I think it was the only thing by them that I liked. That and their dub of Pokemon's original series, their dub will always be superior compared to Pokemon USA's, in my humble opinion. Not counting all of the times they tried to rename or censor the rice balls.

Anyway, whether 4Kids does go bankrupt or not, I won't really care. Although it'll still be sad if a lot of people lose their jobs as a result. Times are already rough.
Netstryke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of sounding like a totally sadistic a**clown.....

JUSTICE IS OURS!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the people that might be losing their jobs however I do have something to say to one Alfred R. Kahn.

Mr. Kahn, If you have a problem with what I said at the top (or pretty much what everybody else has been saying), please feel free to reply to me by e-mailing "netstryke@gof***yourself.org"
Charagon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Wishing harm and misfortune upon what surely must be hundreds of people over a few cartoons, most of which can now be seen intact thanks to the efforts of these same people, is incredibly childish. I know this plea is going to fall on largely deaf ears since the high of schadenfreude is just too much for some to contain, but if you guys are going to post please have something more constructive to say than "whoo, let's celebrate!" or "they deserve to be on the street." I don't care if you hate 4Kids with every fiber of your being, that's no excuse not to discuss this situation with a civil tongue.

4Kids was a !@#$ company that did !@#$ work. They ran themselves into the ground and it's a good thing they're going bankrupt because it means the market has finally corrected itself.

Yeah, sucks for anybody who works there, but thems the breaks when you work for a company that produces crap. Maybe they should have said to themselves "We're not going to get away with selling this !@#$ for much longer, it's probably time to jump ship."

In fact, I understand that's what some of the higher ups did.

You don't get paid if you don't produce a quality product and it looks like our standards just went up.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
so is this their clever way to avoid that lawsuit from last week?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is:

"Curse you, Perry the Platypus!"
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is how it has always been but on their website's contact page they say to contact them viva old fashion mail at
4Kids Website wrote:
4Kids Entertainment Legal Department
53 West 23rd Street, 11th Floor
New York, New York 10010

I can't help but lol
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, how the "mighty" have fallen. If you ask me, the coolest thing 4Kids have ever done is ripped off Toonami with "Toonzai" and "Toonzaki". What's next? "Toonuki?!?"

But seriously, I hope 4Kids bounces back from this. Maybe this slap-in-the-face will finally teach the company not to be a bunch of royal unnecessary censor-happy goobers. Maybe now we'll see a late-night block on CW put together by the group that features the likes of Durarara!! and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (which I'm still holding out hope of a dub for) called simply "NOT 4Kids??"

Probably not, but a man can dream...
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
I hope they don't come out of Chapter 11. I want 4Kids gone; I have for a long time. Their adaptions have been a slap in the face to anime fans everywhere.

I personally feel that 4Kids brought all this on themselves. They've been running business through a stubborn and ambitious attitude, and has acted selfish towards its employeers showing no regaurd for them at all in this situation.

Chapter 11 means they'll try to hang on, but it looks as if no Japanese investor or licensor will even touch them with a ten foot pole.

I rather they finally lose the Sonic X license, I'm sick of seeing that horrible suck dub and edit and am fumed at the fact that since 2004 I've been unable to buy a legal Sonic X sub on DVD. This is bullshit 4Kids give the license up! Let Funimation redub Sonic X, and rerelease the 52 episode that aired in Japan, not the wimpy stupid ass Comso saga.

It would be a breath of fresh air to see a new slew of VAs for future games besides NYAV Post(who I think will relocate to NJ if 4Kids finally does go down.)
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Ah, how the "mighty" have fallen. If you ask me, the coolest thing 4Kids have ever done is ripped off Toonami with "Toonzai" and "Toonzaki". What's next? "Toonuki?!?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Charagon wrote:
You don't get paid if you don't produce a quality product and it looks like our standards just went up.

Except it wasn't our standards their success was hinging on (funny enough, 4Kids' target audience were kids, after all), they were quite successful prior to the market failure that affected all anime distributors regardless of the quality of their releases (4Kids did outlive ADV and Geneon), and most amusing of all, the trouble they're in now, the potential legal trouble that threatens to truly bring the company down if it all goes badly for them, has nothing to do with the reason the anime fandom at large is so mad at them. Everyone's celebrating like this is somehow justice being served for their "evil" editing practices, but last I checked financial misdeeds and overzealous re-branding of cartoons for a foreign market don't exactly go hand-in-hand.

And as for the "quality" of their product, well, it was at least quality enough to bring in a whole massive legion of budding young anime fans to succeed us senile old folk of the Robotech and Toonami generations, so they must've been doing something right. Hell, considering how the anime that got most of us twenty and thirty-somethings started in this whole mess did things like splice three completely unrelated anime into one series, turn gay lovers into suspiciously close "cousins," and just straight-up axe over twenty episodes worth of content instead of trying to alter it (and then altering what remained; Master Roshi's penchant for carbonated water, anyone?), I'd say the 4Kids generation got off pretty darn easy with some remarkably intact translations (again, comparably speaking).

Are some of 4Kids' editing practices inexcusable? Of course. Turning a black pirate white for no discernible reason is awfully suspect. Are they or at least some of their management shady scam artists looking to bilk their Japanese partners? Quite possibly. But don't go saying this has anything to do with the standards or objections of the hardcore anime crowd or indeed anyone over the age of ten, because not only were we never the target audience, but a great many of us became anime fans by watching far, far worse butcheries. And the funny thing is, by some bizarre miracle, we survived those dark and terrible times with all of our limbs attached and most of us were at least grateful enough toward these monstrosities for getting us into this wonderful hobby not to wish for someone's downfall over them.

Last edited by Nagisa on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
so is this their clever way to avoid that lawsuit from last week?
Not necessarily avoid ~ the plaintiffs may have an option to bring it to the bankruptcy court. But it won't proceed in the original venue unless the bankrutpcy judge says so or else 4Kids successfully restructures and emerges from Chapter 11.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Everyone's celebrating like this is somehow justice being served for their "evil" editing practices, but last I checked financial misdeeds and overzealous re-branding of cartoons for a foreign market don't exactly go hand-in-hand.

Of course they go hand in hand.......to an extent.

But given how anime fans are fickle, even pandering to them might've not given a financial result.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Lots of good memories on that list.

I didn't know that 4kids messed up One Piece so bad. I think I was in middle school at that time and I never read the manga so I didn't know of the changes.

I want to watch One Piece again though. Haven't watched it since it came off tv. I guess the Funimation dub leaves a lot of the scenes in right?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Coincidently this doesn't effect thier UK arm (Which, AFIK is just a distro arm) so this won't effect Pop, Kix, etc from airing reruns of Winx, Ultimate Muscle et all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8