• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima's Ken Akamatsu Listed with New Manga in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
To add some totally idle speculation based on the title:

UO could mean

魚 - a fish (a fishing manga?)

or

"兎尾" or "卯尾" - a rabbit's tail (smells like bunny girls to me...)

Of course, it could be a totally made up term unique to the new manga's setting, an English abbreviation, or a much rarer kanji combination....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
This better not be another harem.

Akamatsu is the only manga-ka I will get genuinely excited over reading a harem by. I can't wait for the first chapter of this new project Very Happy

Why his harem are terrible or generic?

Love Hina overall is decent, but there was no harem, Naru was the only one from the beginning despite probably not being in the top 3 or 4 reader choices. It was basically a romance, with a pre text as a harem.

Negima was probably an even bigger mess, with basically some weird death/non ending/ crazy Evagelion/School Rumble type of nonsense. And even then it was kind of pointless as the MC was a 9 year old kid so you really could not have a proper harem. It didn't help the fact he basically brought back Shinobu, probably the most popular character in Love Hina as Nodoka, and once again gave her and the fans a shaft. It also doesn't help the fact a side yuri couple get more development then the MC and his relationships.

The only decent harems are one like IS, TLR, Rosario Vamp, DxD, Tenchi, and even Index, where the author can pull a balance routine and actually make all or multiple girls plausible throughout the series; either that or actually meeting the definition of a harem, ie the MC ends up with multiple girls. I mean realistically I could see someone like Tenchi with either Ryoko, Sasami, Aeka, or even a harem ending. Same with the other ones mentioned. I honestly could never see that in either LH or Negima; Negima was basically Asuna until the blood ties reveal and then, eh it fizzled out.
areallystupidguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
areallystupidguy wrote:
Maybe they'll let him do something that isn't ecchi this time.

Or, maybe certain fans in the U.S. can stop being so prudish and come to the realization that there is NOTHING wrong with fanservice?

I said immediately afterwards that I'd be disappointed if that happened, man.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
Apparently after LH, Ken Akamatsu said he wanted to do a mecha-sci fi story (with pretty girls, I am quite sure) but his editors "forced" him into Negima, a.k.a. «Love Hina Plus" (now with MORE girls!)» Wink
Having that in count, that he managed to turn it into a battle-action story is not small feat.
I hope that this time Akamatsu can stand on his ground.

P.s: Love Hina not a harem series? Come on, at the last episode all the girls* were mad about him, and they simply let Naru to marry him because they loved each other, but have they had another chance, now it would be another story.

No, seriously, Love Hina is a textbook about the harem sub-genre.

* except Haruka and mecha-Sarah
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:

Negima's finale may have left something to be desired, but I also got the impression there were reasons behind the scenes for the rapid wrap-up of that story.

You and ThatGuyWhoLikesThings are actually correct. I don't quite remember the exact phrasing, but basically, his publisher had thrown a few new policies at him that would basically have given the publisher more control over the property, and Akamatsu wasn't down with that. So, instead of seeing his manga end up belonging to someone else, he decided to cut it short.

[quote=Shiratori01]
Or, maybe certain fans in the U.S. can stop being so prudish and come to the realization that there is NOTHING wrong with fanservice? [/quote]

C'mon, man, we're all friends here, no need to be venomous. Besides, I've got no problem with fanservice--I've got my own fair share of, er, more purient works in my collection. It's just that there's a limit to how far you can go with these things before it really starts to get annoying. It's kind of like Godannar: you're watching, you're having fun, then it feels like someone jumps on screen, grabs the camera and thrusts it into someone's chest for a minute, then says, "Okay, back to what you were doing." It's bothersome.
Doctor Octopus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Levitz9], but basically, his publisher had thrown a few new policies at him that would basically have given the publisher more control over the property, and Akamatsu wasn't down with that. So, instead of seeing his manga end up belonging to someone else, he decided to cut it short.
[/quote]

I've always found that 'explanation' (which is mostly fanmade expanding on some ambiguous declarations by the author) fishy, since he is still working for the same publisher that supposedly tried to rip him off.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Shonen Magazine is predominantly Love Comedies and Battle Action manga. From the title & Akamatsu-sensei's modus operandi, it's going to be another blend of Love Comedy and Battle Action in the same vein as Negima.

Negima's finale may have left something to be desired, but I also got the impression there were reasons behind the scenes for the rapid wrap-up of that story. In general, I've always adored Akamatsu-sensei's stories and sense of humor, and greatly look forward to his next work.

Of course the ending left something to be desired which is why there are the rumors of a possible continuation to the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sly05

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The disappointment from the rather abortive ending for Negima still lingers, but I admit I'm still looking forward to this. I would probably prefer a shorter story arc this time around though so it can actually be completed. A female lead this time around to mix things up would also be nice.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Nowt wrong with fanservice, a bit of fanservice for the lads doesn't stop something appealing to girls as well. Wink Lots of girls liked Negima! too.

Love Hina is a textbook harem manga, Negima! just looks like one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Of course nothing is wrong with it. especially since i am a die hard otaku fanservice junkie.

though the problem is that a majority of fans arent too happy with the ending. Sure most of us are glad it didn't ended ala Love Hina , but it still leaves something to be desired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2