• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Open to Nausicaä Film Sequel by Evangelion's Anno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
kokone wrote:
You Can (Not) Be Serious

Very Happy

I can't quite decide whether this idea is just crazy enough to work or just crazy, myself, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
It would be a movie for us really. Who would appreciate that beside a couple thousand of us? It wouldn't make the money it needed. I love the idea, but the reality of the scope is depressing. The fans we have now are too spread out for such a thing.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
LOL this. Nausicaa is similar to the Rebuild films. People erroneously say that Nausicaa is a Ghibli movie, even though Ghibli didn't exist until 1 year and a half after Nausicaa and is a TOPCRAFT film, in the same sense that people think the Rebuild films are Gainax, even though Gainax did almost nothing on these films. Don't let Disney fool you. Nausicaa is as Ghibli as Castle of Cagliostro. Semantics aside, Anno is a hack. He can't write or direct for anything. Evangelion is a mess. And Nausicaa kinda sucked too. Yeah, this film is entertaining, but it sucked in terms of the plot being forced and preachy, Nausicaa being a Mary sue and the music, while awesome, is dated. Mononoke is better than Nausicaa in every way, bar voice acting, because at least Nausicaa had Yoshiko Sakakibara, who is an awesome VA and stole the whole f**king show. Evangelion is bad. Miyazaki has also been sucking since Howl's Moving Castle and is only a shell of his Spirited Away days.

This can only spell disaster. -_-
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm just speechless (not necessarily in a negative way). Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
LOL this. Nausicaa is similar to the Rebuild films. People erroneously say that Nausicaa is a Ghibli movie, even though Ghibli didn't exist until 1 year and a half after Nausicaa and is a TOPCRAFT film, in the same sense that people think the Rebuild films are Gainax, even though Gainax did almost nothing on these films. Don't let Disney fool you. Nausicaa is as Ghibli as Castle of Cagliostro. Semantics aside, Anno is a hack. He can't write or direct for anything. Evangelion is a mess. And Nausicaa kinda sucked too. Yeah, this film is entertaining, but it sucked in terms of the plot being forced and preachy, Nausicaa being a Mary sue and the music, while awesome, is dated. Mononoke is better than Nausicaa in every way, bar voice acting, because at least Nausicaa had Yoshiko Sakakibara, who is an awesome VA and stole the whole f**king show. Evangelion is bad. Miyazaki has also been sucking since Howl's Moving Castle and is only a shell of his Spirited Away days.

This can only spell disaster. -_-

"Miyazaki has also been sucking since Howl's Moving Castle and is only a shell of his Spirited Away days. "

>Hasn't seen The Wind Rises yet.

"Evangelion is bad."

>2deep4u
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
@Jayhosh Typical Evangelion fanboy. Worst mecha fanbase ever. Even worse than Gundam fans. No, it's not deep in the slightest. It is pretentious, has annoying characters, shitty plot, declining visuals, episode 26, bad animation, low production values, annoying voice acting, fake super robot show, takes itself WAY too seriously, everything.

Also it's a known fact that Ghibli as a WHOLE has been sucking since 2004. GITS Innocence was partially Ghibli. That sucked compared to the original. Howl was crap. Arrietty is considered to one of the weakest Ghibli films. Ponyo is the Cars of Ghibli, but at LEAST Cars used NEW technology and didn't look like something from the mid 80s. I've never liked Ghibli's lack of digital paint and bland character designs. Why are they still using hand drawn cels in this common era, as well as a lack of CG? Get with the times. Digital Ink is much better than hand drawn cel animation. Easier to correct, not as long winded and CG does NOT take away from the story. If done right, it can ENHANCE it. Macross Plus had a SHIT ton of CG and that looked AMAZING. Why is Miyazaki so backwards? Even the person he insulted, Tomino can get with the times.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@Jayhosh Typical Evangelion fanboy. Worst mecha fanbase ever. Even worse than Gundam fans. No, it's not deep in the slightest. It is pretentious, has annoying characters, shitty plot, declining visuals, episode 26, bad animation, low production values, annoying voice acting, fake super robot show, takes itself WAY too seriously, everything.

Also it's a known fact that Ghibli as a WHOLE has been sucking since 2004. GITS Innocence was partially Ghibli. That sucked compared to the original. Howl was crap. Arrietty is considered to one of the weakest Ghibli films. Ponyo is the Cars of Ghibli, but at LEAST Cars used NEW technology and didn't look like something from the mid 80s. I've never liked Ghibli's lack of digital paint and bland character designs. Why are they still using hand drawn cels in this common era, as well as a lack of CG? Get with the times. Digital Ink is much better than hand drawn cel animation. Easier to correct, not as long winded and CG does NOT take away from the story. If done right, it can ENHANCE it. Macross Plus had a SHIT ton of CG and that looked AMAZING. Why is Miyazaki so backwards? Even the person he insulted, Tomino can get with the times.

The fact that you actually dissed traditional hand drawn animation and it's implementation in modern works almost automatically makes me want to ignore any further discussions with someone such as you. In a day and age when truly old fashioned animation is struggling to survive and a studio like Ghibli is actually willing to take the financial risks of producing such works, to complain about it seems ignorant as hell. The idea of creating an entire animated movie with hand drawn cells is in itself quite impressive. I don't know where the heck you're getting this negative criticism of Arrietty from, last time I checked it was critically acclaimed and is loved by many fans. Me included, it's an understated work that accomplishes most of what it needs to, it's not meant to be very "epic."

Much of your information is either slightly off or completely false. I don't know where you heard these things, but they aren't actually helping your argument. First off all, for a while Ghibli DID use digital coloring in their films. Films such as Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle (which is f*cking awesome by the way) were all colored digitally. Digital coloring also qualifies as CG, and not only that, they've also use computer graphics in films like Mononoke and Pom Poko. Hell, computer graphics was all My Neighbors the Yamadas was for crying out loud. No one EVER said that CG took away from the story, in fact Miyazaki himself is not even against it. He thinks it has the potential to surpass that of what the human hand is able to create, he just feels that he is getting too old to attempt to use it to an extensive degree. Miyazaki NEVER said he didn't like CGI.

And haters of Eva are just as bad as the fanboys. "Typical Evangelion fanboy." Wow, thanks for jumping to conclusions and assuming you know every bit of detail about me. If you weren't informed yet, 2deep4u is most of the time used as merely a troll response. I didn't think you'd actually flip out about it. And EVERY fanbase sucks. I enjoy shows such as Adventure Time, MLP, and Breaking Bad, (I'm sure you hate all of those shows as well, no?) but I cannot stand their fanbases because of how obsessive and annoying they can be.

In the words of Hideaki Anno: "Deal with it." I've come to the conclusion that our tastes in animation could not be more divided, so I will try to avoid arguing with you in future articles.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and if you actually consider the animation in the Rebuild films bad then I'd like to know what work you would honestly deem worthy of having good animation.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I know he's leaving a sequel to the director of one of the greatest action anime's of all time, but to be honest I like Ghibli the way it is. No sequels! Remember what happened after Pixar started releasing sequels other than the Toy Story ones, their company stated long ago, "That we aren't a company that is based on making sequels" (Well at least when Steve Jobs was still alive they were like that) but after Car's Two came out their movies started to stink!(Brave might be an O.K film, but it really didn't appeal to me) all in all Studio Ghibli, if you do make a Nausicca sequel, do us a favor and make the movie, then return to your rightful place as the best story tellers in Japan. Very Happy
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Oh, and if you actually consider the animation in the Rebuild films bad then I'd like to know what work you would honestly deem worthy of having good animation.

The Rebuild movies have great art and above average animation, because it has a relatively high budget and is a movie. I'm estimating anything from $4-$6 million at least. Compared to the TV series, which had a measly $100,000(inflation) per episode budget and with inflation disregarded around a $63,000 per episode budget.

I will give the Rebuild films this. Unlike Miyazaki and friends, at least the films look like films from their time.

Miyazaki/Ghibli have little excuse for their art/animation style. Seriously. The cost of high profile Ghibli films costs anything from $19-34 million. Ponyo is the 2nd most expensive 2D anime, after Little Nemo(1st in terms of true anime) and Ponyo looks no better than Mononoke from 1997. It actually looks worse. I'd go so far as to say that the 1995 Ghost in the Shell stands the test of time better than any Ghibli/Miyazaki film, simply because the character designs are more detailed. It also uses techniques like rendering CG to look like hand drawn animation, digital ink and paint, which is something that took the Japanese a long ass time to perfect properly. I mean, seriously. Why paint/ink stuff on hand in the current age? Even Disney stopped doing that shit in 1990 and that was when animation was strictly 2D with CG being in it's infancy. Hand drawn animation in Japan ended in 1999. It's time to get with the times and use CG and computers. It saves time and is better technologically.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Hand drawn animation in Japan ended in 1999.

Gurren Lagann DVD extras tell otherwise. For me scanning drawings into a computer doesn't count as CGI.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Please no. Leave it alone. Don't make Nausicaa the Star Wars of anime, retroactively ruined by tampering with it years later. In both anime as a medium and my own personal background with it, Nausicaa stands proudly in history just as it is. Let it be.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I smell a troll. Laughing

Hand-drawn animations has a place and a meaning even in this era, as well as stop-motion. Whoever says otherwise doesn't understand many things about art.

And Ponyo is a masterpiece, by the way. Deal with it. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I smell a troll. Laughing

Hand-drawn animations has a place and a meaning even in this era, as well as stop-motion. Whoever says otherwise doesn't understand many things about art.

And Ponyo is a masterpiece, by the way. Deal with it. Cool

I am no troll. Animation is also an evolving art form. Also, I dislike how Ponyo looks older than films like GITS, which is from 1995 and was during a time, where only Disney could use digital coloring/CG to its fullest and it STILL looks better than Ponyo. Ghibli movies look way to old and under detailed. Even the Little Mermaid on BD looks newer and more detailed than any Ghibli films and it's much older than the majority of them. I prefer more bombastic art and character designs like GITS, which are detailed and vibrant.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Ghibli animation > everything else for me (inc. Ponyo/Arrietty/Poppy Hill etc.) There's a reason their films continue to outsell most anime, and if it was easy to pull off, other people would be successfully beating them at their own game them to get to that money.

Quote:
I prefer more bombastic art and character designs like GITS, which are detailed and vibrant.

Sounds like a case of subjectivity, to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5