• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Suburban LA County Pulls Manga Textbook

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
mangalibrarian wrote:
I work for the library system in question...and the book is cataloged & was shelved in the ADULT non-fiction area. However Teens & children check out books quite often from the adult non-fiction, they aren't restricted from doing so. It is the parent's responsibility to make sure they approve of what their kid is reading.

I agree, they shouldn't ban it. If it was under the adult section then they have no reason to ban it. Instead of removing this book from the self why not have a visible sticker on the cover stating this book is not intended for children. If the library bought the book and it was around for a while then obviously it couldn't be as obsene enough to ban it. I just get mad when parents want to sue companies when their child plays violent rated M video games or anime that is clearly stated Adults only. If parents are willing to let their children play/watch anything that isn't intended for their age then they shouldn't get mad at the companies for making such products.
CochraneO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
CochraneO wrote:
For what it's worth, folks wishing to write to Postmus and want to work from a template letter might find the one prepared on this site helpful.

Also perhaps of interest for folks following these events is this letter of support from the National Coalition Against Censorship as well as this NCAC statement which includes suggestions on what helpful action folks can take.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
I disagree with any library's notion that they are above and beyond federal law, all in the name of "information". I can't think of another single entity that gets a free pass like the library does.

But thats the entire point of a public library. Free and unfettered access to information. Books are not terriblely offensive anyway, if you find something that offends you, you can close the book and stop reading. As long as the book itself is not obsene, in the legal sense, the library should be allowed to stock it.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:59 am Reply with quote
Highwayman wrote:

But thats the entire point of a public library. Free and unfettered access to information. Books are not terriblely offensive anyway, if you find something that offends you, you can close the book and stop reading. As long as the book itself is not obsene, in the legal sense, the library should be allowed to stock it.

Yeah, I mean "Mein Kampf" in it's loosest definition is nothing more than the rantings of a Insane Person. Yet it's partially responseable for the deaths of Millions of people.

I mean, if you ban that book on that parameter alone, then you'd have to ban the Bible and the Koran on those same parameters.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:13 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
I disagree with any library's notion that they are above and beyond federal law, all in the name of "information". I can't think of another single entity that gets a free pass like the library does.

Libraries are not above federal law. But neither are age ratings federal law. Age ratings are set up by industry bodies, distributors, publishers and so on as a voluntary self-regulatory measure. Federal law does not require libraries to participate in such schemes. Strictly speaking Blockbuster doesn't have to conform either since participation is voluntary (but that would be bad for business).

Libraries only conform to federal law when something on the shelves is judged by federal courts to violate the law (whether it is obscene, infringes copyright or breaks federal law in some other way). Then there are state laws and local ordinances that public libraries have to conform to but those are not federal laws.
anadoamonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote
Seriously, I love living in america where backwards logic rules. This doesn't affect me at all, but it is very amusing. If the ruins of Athens, various art galleries in other countries, various ruins, or pretty much 50% of anything with historical significance existed in this country we would either ban or censor it. I can just imagine all the Greeks, Italians, ect ect going around their cities with chisels and removing murals, paintings, and similar sculptures that are similar to the depictions in this book. OH no Oh no its Bacchus!!! an ancient god and he is portrayed as a goat doing the nasty with a woman!! BAN IT, it didn't happen I want to close my eyes and imagine it wasn't a part of history. NO NO the world is flat damnit flat! ban it censor it, burn the witch! (All the bad things of the world do not dissappear if you close your eyes. You just end up blind to your surroundings.)
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ooooooooo! Will someone think of the children?

Ooooh. Will you parent your own damn chilren people?

Whenever I hear books are banned, it sickens me right in my stomach. Farenheit 451 is one of my favorite books. When I hear libraries pulling books off shelves because one or two people complain, that's disgusting.

Then again this one's not as disgusting as when the Library of Congress pulled books on the Armenaian genocide because of political pressure by the government of Turkey. Yet it is the same problem. Censorship.

One person doesn't like something, then you take it down. Someone else finds something else offensive. That gets taken down. Who gets this right? Pretty soon nothing is acceptable because everyone find something offensive. A free society and freedom of speech doesn't work like that.

I think that recent ep of South Park said it best. You take one idea ball out of the pool and the manitees just stop working.
porcupyne

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
i'm still trying to figure out why certain things are labeled obscene in the first place. so long as the fcc and the rest of the government can give me a good reason as to why these things are even obscene in the first place...i'll accept it.

nudity nor cussing in itself is a bad thing. to me...nudity is just natural (no one complains about nude cows or other animals) and the other is an expression of free speech.

and i know that the government isn't enforcing some religion's rules on those subjects because it would be a complete violation of the second amendment. then again...why are these things labeled obscene in the first place?
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
porcupyne wrote:

nudity nor cussing in itself is a bad thing. to me...nudity is just natural (no one complains about nude cows or other animals) and the other is an expression of free speech.

I agree with the nudity part. Nudity is natural; the comment about nude cows is true. However, I don't think this book had any profanity.
I agree with anadoamonkey, here in Canada we don't ban too many things, but we find it funny when we hear some of the things people sue about in the states. Instead of banning things out of protection for the children, why not explainning to them why society views this as wrong. I'm not saying we should tell them at a young age about the birds and the bees, but tell them that these books are for adults. I don't have children, I'm only 18, so you don't have to follow my advice, but if we get in a big fuss infront of children about certain things, then the more they would want to know about the big fuss.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote
porcupyne wrote:

Cows........COWS!!!!Thats it man someone needs this debate to be locked because people are really starting to lose it. I mean I think the book should stay, but I draw the line when you start comparing humans to bovine species, of which I am very fond of eating. Not to mention that is just sick. I mean when you see a cow, do you see a naked cow, if you do man that just sick and unnatural. That's worse than putting a sweater on a dog.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I have no issue with this book being pulled from the shelf to a degree. This book has graphic sexual material, and we're not talking softcore here, it should certainly be dealt with as a book with adult content. An outright banning though? That I don't agree with, regardless of the sexual content of the book it is still an informative reference book with a great deal of information and should remain accessible to those that are age appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6