• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Whatever Happened to Haruhi Suzumiya?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
sonic720 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I have a question since we're on the subject of Haruhi being rescued was there any mention of Lucky Star getting picked up?

Unfortunately, as of now, neither Haruhi nor Lucky Star has been re-licensed by any of the North American anime companies. I do expect both to get picked up at some point, however long it may take. Also, and this is just me speculating, since Kadokawa and KyoAni are behind both titles they may have to be acquired as part of a package deal.

It would be great if the Haruhi series were rescued and released on Blu-Ray. I already own both seasons on DVD, but would certainly double-dip for a BD upgrade. Speaking of KyoAni titles, i'm starting to wonder why Nichijou and Hyouka still aren't licensed for R1 release. Both are very impressive series, so i'm surprised that they seem to have been ignored by US anime distributors for so long.

well nichijou was actually licensed by bandai along with gosick which to me is another show that needs to be licensed badly. However Bandai stopped releasing new titles before they went under and sold the rights back.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-02/bandai-entertainment-to-stop-releasing-new-dvds-bds-manga
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
sonic720 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I have a question since we're on the subject of Haruhi being rescued was there any mention of Lucky Star getting picked up?

Unfortunately, as of now, neither Haruhi nor Lucky Star has been re-licensed by any of the North American anime companies. I do expect both to get picked up at some point, however long it may take. Also, and this is just me speculating, since Kadokawa and KyoAni are behind both titles they may have to be acquired as part of a package deal.

It would be great if the Haruhi series were rescued and released on Blu-Ray. I already own both seasons on DVD, but would certainly double-dip for a BD upgrade. Speaking of KyoAni titles, i'm starting to wonder why Nichijou and Hyouka still aren't licensed for R1 release. Both are very impressive series, so i'm surprised that they seem to have been ignored by US anime distributors for so long.

Thanks for the info. Well, all we can do is wait. Keep your fingers crossed.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Gosick is licensed in Oz BTW since someone mentioned Gosick.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:

I guess i'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the series from start to finish since the series does wrap it's self up nicely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I started on Haruhi Suzumiya after seeing that the movie The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya had received very high ratings on imdb.com and someone told me that in order to understand and enjoy the movie, one had to have seen the series.

So I bought the first series on DVD probably early in 2011, enjoyed it then found out that the blu-ray box set available in Japan included English dubs and I ordered that right after the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan.

The blu-ray box set included 2 concerts, and I was impressed with the orchestral concert that included Aya Hirano and Minori Chihara. After looking up videos of Minori Chihara on youtube I discovered Animelo Summer Live concerts and asked a travel agent to try to get me tickets - they succeeded so I travelled overseas for the first time, attended Animelo Summer Live 2011 and met Minori Chihara backstage after the first concert and Chiaki Ishikawa after the second concert and have revisited Japan 5 more times since.

So watching Haruhi Suzumiya had a big impact on me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:

I guess i'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the series from start to finish since the series does wrap it's self up nicely.

Always liked Gosick. Maybe NIS will pick it up. Gosick would be nice as a NIS box set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16