• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5 Things I Learned From SyFy's "Heroes of Cosplay"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Suena wrote:

I haven't heard where it went from there, but I assume it started being used in Japan by people who read the article and were doing fan-costuming, and then the term was re-imported to the US by anime fans, and used to refer to anime-specific costumes. And then it got adopted to mean any fan-costume for any media, since there wasn't really any official term currently in use except "dressing up like_____."

The only other prior word was "masquerading," but that's too general and too many syllables.

Yeah, it probably got appropriated by Western media from anime fans starting in the 90's. Kinda like "mecha" because "robots" is too general.

I've also heard it called "Costuming" and over here in the UK members of Joe Public would probably call it "Fancy Dress" but most cosplayers at conventions wouldn't call it that because that's a term more associated with Halloween and costume parties (which we call Fancy Dress Parties) and Hen and Stag dos (Batchelor and Batchelorette Parties).
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
so I take it this is about as accurate and informative as America's Greatest Otaku and King of the Nerds was for anime fans and video gamers? >_>
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac,

Your sometimes pessimistic view on things really turns me off to some of your posts. However, I loved the hell out of this one. Most hardcore Cosplayers really get me irked off at their double standard nonsensical logic.
My personal opinion, if you're going to cosplay, go all out. Exercise and calorie count the hell out of stuff till you can make a good attempt at fitting into that concept of a Mikasa cosplay. Nothing is worse than a half assed attempt, and exercising is part of that.
I'm probably a real dick, but a 300 lb Mikasa is just doing no one justice. Just like, I would love to do a Hibiki cosplay, but I have to admit I'm in my 30's and can't pull it off any more. I can do one hell of a Gendou Ikari or Yamato Hotsuin though. Be a realist with it.
As far as the series goes, any time you take our little American Anime sub-culture and try and promote it to the larger public as a whole, is anyone legit in thinking our correct opinions will be communicated to the public at large? That's something I knew even before the series was aired.
However, Good article Zac. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I can't really tell, but number 4 is supposed to be sarcasm, right? Of course cosplaying is a viable full-time career... but really only if you're someone like Jessica Nigri or Yaya Han, who make their living by upping the level of sex appeal in their costumes. Nigri's Mad Moxxi costume is a perfect example of this, as the character is already showing off a lot of skin, and yet she managed to take it a step further.

I'm not saying that that sort of thing is bad per se, they're allowed to do as they please, but it is pretty disappointing when well done cosplay with lots of thought and effort put into the costume are looked over in favor of something like this.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
I can't really tell, but number 4 is supposed to be sarcasm, right? Of course cosplaying is a viable full-time career... but really only if you're someone like Jessica Nigri or Yaya Han, who make their living by upping the level of sex appeal in their costumes. Nigri's Mad Moxxi costume is a perfect example of this, as the character is already showing off a lot of skin, and yet she managed to take it a step further.

I'm not saying that that sort of thing is bad per se, they're allowed to do as they please, but it is pretty disappointing when well done cosplay with lots of thought and effort put into the costume are looked over in favor of something like this.

This is literally what the article says exactly.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's my fault for skimming it.
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Zump wrote:

Reality TV continues to exist because it's cheap and lazy, especially since you don't have to pay any writers.

If you don't pay any writers, where do the scripts come from?

Monkeys.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Kaleidoscopes. They only have six plots, but they swap them round a bit.
blowthetruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone saying yaya makes a living at this? She works for delta. This is how she can fly so cheap and work at all these events. Delta is headquarter out of ALT

Read up on it
http://yayacosplay.deviantart.com/journal/?offset=41

She talks about her training
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Good article, Zac (Just got a chance to read it.) I can say that this show is really not that great, but I watch it like someone watches a train wreck. Having actually never met any of these people, I cannot say one way or the other. But from what I read, Yaya really is not that much of a bitch. So massive editing here. As for the rest, meh. I get a giggle out of it, and that's all I need. If I want to see real cosplayers, I'll go visit a con or three.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Hey, if ya guys wanna see a typical Cosplay in America interview with Jessica Nigri:

TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
New episode tonight on the SyFy channel.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Yikes what was all that backlash calling this article sexist? Do people even know what sexist is anymore? This show is sexist if anything. Also, if you flaunt yourself on"reality" TV, expect people to not like you or what you are doing. Also, with the wool thing, I too thought it was fake. Just saying. I did not find the humour outdated in this article. Great article Zac!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Obviously you did not really WATCh the show or you'd know there is a (yes singular) guy in the cast, (who is OBVIOUSLY not there only to serve the purpose) proving that it's really, TRULY about craftsmanship and not all about T&A.

spoiler[And there are plenty of Cosplay "cam-whores" making money off "cosplaying", that was the the huge stink over the inaugural 'World Cosplay Summit' in Japan because the winner was obviously a "cam-whore" flown in from Italy and all the other cosplayers were mere window dressing to celebrate her hot-ness. But I know 10 years ago I could rattle off several girls that had "exclusive" "cosplay" content behind a paywall. I'm not saying the cast are all aspiring to that, but...]

Having fake breasts/wearing sexy costumes and/or making money off said breasts/costumes doesn't negate craftmanship abilities. Does Yaya Han have large breasts? Yeah. Have you SEEN her Carmilla costume from Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust? Or any of her costumes on her Facebook page. I can't speak to the woman's personality because I haven't watched what sounds like a god awful show, but the woman can make costumes. She's GOOD at it, and I'd hate other women in the field to be written off because they decided to get breast implants.

I don't see a problem with women wanting to make money off their good looks behind a paywall. If people want to pay to see that, more power to them.

I follow her FB page precisely for the fact her outfits are AMAZING. Forget all other factors and you are 100% right on that. She can make some damn amazing outfits and props. What gets me is how they are so largely tailored to work that T&A stereotype. Yes if God/genetics (or doctor Nick) gave you the figure by all means be happy displaying it. There is a line though in my mind where it crosses from having an outfit that matches your figure to simply pandering it. I know it's a vague and murky line that differs from one person to another. There is no set "this is not artistic but just trashy/pandering" line. I think though YaYa, and some others, do cross that line and focus on outfits that pander to the fans who buy their stuff. How much of it are characters THEY LIKE compared to ones they can "work" so to speak? Only they can answer that but it is a question I find myself asking more and more with many "professional" cosplayers. Now even if they are pandering and shaking the T&A the outfits themselves can still be very well done. Hello YaYa. I think though this show focuses solely almost on that idea of pandering to men basically. I watched the first episode and I just kept feeling like I was trying to be sold something. Had to keep checking my wallet to make sure my bank card was in there.

I think the show does not help promote a healthy image of the cosplay community and sends out some very false ideas. Many of which Zac already covered. Such as it being highly profitable. Ha ha. It also in my mind simply pushed that stereotype where you're only a good cosplayer if you're sexy and show T&A if you're a woman. I won't even bother to comment on the male side of cosplaying because...well the show really didn't seem to give 2 quirts of piss honestly. Let's push titties and ass was the message I got.

Oh and apparently YaYa's bit about Jessica was edited to be something it was not. Apparently they released a vid together saying how that's not what YaYa meant, how they're great friends, how their boobs rock, etc etc blah blah.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I loved yaya's alice in wonderland cosplay it really showed she knows what she was talking about
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9