• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Descends from Summit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
And it is a bad comparison since Bobobo is supposed to be mindless driff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll show you when it was I realized that it wasn't worth it:
Malintex Terek wrote:
No, you're embarassed at not being able to share your favourite series with your friends like in Junior High, and you are jealous of Naruto's popularity. If such is the case, you don't even *deserve* to call yourself a One Piece fan, as you clearly don't like the series and instead wanted to brag about something you thought was popular.

Am I wrong? Heck no! But if I was, you shouldn't be ranting on an otaku forum and instead move on to other things. Maybe an uncut One Piece will appear someday; but don't waste your life waiting for it.

That's right, everyone, I'm not a One Piece fan. I suppose when you ignore the fact that I buy the manga on a fairly regular basis, watch the dub every week and only download fansubs when the show breaks for reruns, anticipate the next new One Piece game every time I hear of one, and have money reserved for the first, hypothetical uncut releases, you can make it seem that way, but alas, all of my occasional ANN debates seem to end the same way:

Random ANN poster: Why do you care about how One Piece is handled? You have fansubs!
Yashouzoid: I'd like to watch the series legally in a language that I understand, and being able to contain the knowledge that it doesn't disrespect the original creators.
Random ANN poster: Well you're stupid!

So far, I've been fairly collected, yet here you are jumping to conclusions and stroking your e-penis. I'm just kind of annoyed that all of this crap was done to the series to make it more appealing to Americans, and it didn't work, so now the fans are paying for it. It's not as much of a big deal to me as it once was, because there was a time when I was a flaming otaku who hated anything dubbed and thought of anime as something special. In reality, and in the long run: 4Kids butchered some bullshit cartoon.

And don't trace my disappointment about how it's not popular to some selfish desire, either. The fact that my most anticipated game of this year was Kingdom Hearts II, while everyone was out there playing their PSPs and Halo, should tell you how little I care about how my peers percieve my interests.

Since you've revealed your true colors, I don't feel I should bother to expose you for the ignorant elitist you are, but I guess I already did. My bad.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
So far, I've been fairly collected, yet here you are jumping to conclusions and stroking your e-penis.

Well If your going to stroke it, stroke it right. I.E., me being collected Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
KidsWB should have been the one to shoulder the show

I don't think KidsWB is the right block for One Piece to be shown on. I mean, One Piece isn't a kids show. It's a teenagers show and that 4kids should not have licensed it in the first place. I knew they should have had VIZ Media license One Piece and not 4kids. Let me tell ya, 4kids sure know how to make our lives miserable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I mean, One Piece isn't a kids show. It's a teenagers show and that 4kids should not have licensed it in the first place. I knew they should have had VIZ Media license One Piece and not 4kids. Let me tell ya, 4kids sure know how to make our lives miserable.

It's a show for children. Maybe not American children specifically, but it's focus has always been children. It's a device to sell video games, action figures, comics, whatever else. Stop fooling yourself into thinking it is for teenagers, because it's not.

I try (trytrytry) not to let an edited version of a cartoon make my life miserable, and you should try the same.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
One Piece appeals to everyone in Japan, actually.

It's just that the show, in its uncut form, would be percieved as a show for older teens and adults, because our standards are stricter.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
One Piece appeals to everyone in Japan, actually.

Oh and I don't deny that. What I'm saying (or should be saying) is that the primary audience for One Piece is children/family audiences. The reason it's continued to be made is because it can be merchandised to hell and back. Most of that merchandise appeals to children.

Quote:
It's just that the show, in its uncut form, would be percieved as a show for older teens and adults, because our standards are stricter.

Doesn't change that it's still a kids show about rubber and super powered pirates and kickin'-rad adventures and friendship!!!!1!~ because that totally makes it more mature simply because it has blood and/or more in-depth relationships and characters than what'd normally be attributed to the sort of show.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Fox Kids wasn't owned by 4Kids. It was owned by Saban Entertainment. In 2002, Saban was bought by Disney with all of Saban's shows switching over to Disney-owned networks like ABC and Toon Disney, and the former Saturday morning block on Fox was bought by 4Kids, which changed the block from Fox Kids to the Fox Box, which was later renamed to 4Kids TV. Shaman King was apart of the Fox Box, not Fox Kids, which was what 4Kids TV was called before it changed its name. The Fox Box was still owned by 4Kids; it just had a different name and Shaman King was dubbed by 4Kids. Check ANN's encyclopedia next time before you assume something if you aren't sure.

And you should lurk more and post less. I never said Fox Kids was owned by 4Kids, but that 4Kids.tv TOOK THE TIMESLOT. If your brain was run by reason instead of Anime, you would realize that with a name like "FoxBox", the transition from Saban->4Kids was smooth and reasonably unnoticeable, with the lack of Power Rangers (substituted by Tiga) and Digimon (which concluded) as the only real cues to a major change.

potassium wrote:

Why bring up the fact that Bobobo is still on the air? One Piece is still on the air as well.

Bobobo is as intentionally incoherent as One Piece is unintentionally, but they're treated like totally different ballparks.

yashouzoid wrote:

That's right, everyone, I'm not a One Piece fan. I suppose when you ignore the fact that I buy the manga on a fairly regular basis, watch the dub every week and only download fansubs when the show breaks for reruns, anticipate the next new One Piece game every time I hear of one, and have money reserved for the first, hypothetical uncut releases, you can make it seem that way, but alas, all of my occasional ANN debates seem to end the same way...

I love how you have to assert "proof". Why? Do you truely doubt you are a fan? It seems that way to me.

yashouzoid wrote:

So far, I've been fairly collected, yet here you are jumping to conclusions and stroking your e-penis. I'm just kind of annoyed that all of this crap was done to the series to make it more appealing to Americans, and it didn't work, so now the fans are paying for it. It's not as much of a big deal to me as it once was, because there was a time when I was a flaming otaku who hated anything dubbed and thought of anime as something special. In reality, and in the long run: 4Kids butchered some bullshit cartoon.

Do people really care that DBZ/Sailor Moon/Pokemon was originally butchered? NO. You only care because you "know better", which is the whole gosh darn point of localizing Anime! Most people *don't* know better, and they tend to like what they see first. That's not always the case, but 99% of DBZ and Pokemon viewers prefer the dub to the sub.

In my case, I saw the One Piece dub and hated it...then I saw the One Piece sub and hated it more! Only until I discovered the manga did I truely become a fan, which is why I'm for AP and not KF.

I feel the same way you do about the manga; I think Viz's crimes in bastichering the language, phrasing, and cultural references is irreverent and sinful (especially the Logue-Roguetown bit, with Viz's assumption of Oda being a stupid git/golden goose); however, there was nothing I could do except give bad reviews for it (to a bunch of people who already knew about the manga's edits), and I do get tired of yelling at a brick wall. So, I just buy my tankos and move on my merry way.

End of story. Well, not quite; I do endorse masturbation. Wink

yashouzoid wrote:

Since you've revealed your true colors, I don't feel I should bother to expose you for the ignorant elitist you are, but I guess I already did. My bad.

I'm elitist for feeling fine with One Piece being spread across the globe? I think the concept of "no dub in favour of bad dub" is a bit more aloof than my aggressive stance.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Well yeah it is for veiwers of all ages in Japan. I'm just saying that in this country (in uncut form) it's for teens and adults because of bloody violence, profanity, and partial nudity (cleavage) which is deemed as inappropiate for kids according to American standards. And what did 4kids do. They **** it up. They **** up the story, content, culteral references, etc. It did get horrible reviews because of the edits 4kids had. And after all that censoring, it is still consider as 4kids most violent show (eventhough it's not that violent in uncut form and it's never violent in censored form).

However, we One Piece lovers still have our precious fansubs and mangas. There should really be an uncut One Piece dvd.

Last edited by Riyousha on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I love how you have to assert "proof". Why? Do you truely doubt you are a fan? It seems that way to me.

Just getting my point across.

yashouzoid wrote:
Do people really care that DBZ/Sailor Moon/Pokemon was originally butchered? NO. You only care because you "know better", which is the whole gosh darn point of localizing Anime! Most people *don't* know better, and they tend to like what they see first. That's not always the case, but 99% of DBZ and Pokemon viewers prefer the dub to the sub.

Actually I used to be very critical of the DBZ dub, and I still would be if FUNi didn't decide to release those 00ber cheap box sets. I don't care about those shows anymore because DBZ and Sailor Moon are out there, uncut, and Pokémon is being handled by a more capable company than 4Kids. Everyone wins.

Quote:
I feel the same way you do about the manga; I think Viz's crimes in bastichering the language, phrasing, and cultural references is irreverent and sinful (especially the Logue-Roguetown bit, with Viz's assumption of Oda being a stupid git/golden goose); however, there was nothing I could do except give bad reviews for it (to a bunch of people who already knew about the manga's edits), and I do get tired of yelling at a brick wall. So, I just buy my tankos and move on my merry way.

I have no problems with the English manga, so I just buy the English volumes. A swastika being erased isn't something to import for.

Shaman King's editing is kinda bs though.

Quote:
I'm elitist for feeling fine with One Piece being spread across the globe? I think the concept of "no dub in favour of bad dub" is a bit more aloof than my aggressive stance.

No, but you're elitist for telling people they're not "fans" because they want the show to be popular. I don't really care if the show is popular or not, but as I stated before, all of the editing was done to the show in an attempt to achieve just that, and it hasn't worked, so everyone loses.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

And you should lurk more and post less.

Seriously, cut that out. You haven't been here very long either.

Quote:

Well, initially, yes. People cared that DBZ and Sailor Moon were cut, hence why there were uncut, bilingual (though in the case of Sailor Moons first two seasons, they were sub only). People still care about an uncut One Piece. The people complaining about a lack of uncut One Piece wouldn't care so much about the TV dub if there was a legitimate option (aside from untranslated R3s and even more expensive R2s) to obtaining an uncut version.

So 99% of the people like it dubbed. That's great. However it's pretty obvious that's the case because the dubbed version gets more exposure. That doesn't mean you should completely ignore the possible market that wants a subbed version. You also shouldn't rely on poor sales or what have you for previous uncut properties before deciding on new things to release uncut. I can't provide any proof, but based on a gut feeling, I'd think if One Piece was given a more compotent treatment than shaman king/Yugioh uncuts (more than three eps a disc, better subtitles, a proper dub), they'd sell pretty well (or atleast relativley well). Of course, this is all just shop-talk/wishful thinking, and will never actually happen. But it would be really, really nice.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

Actually I used to be very critical of the DBZ dub, and I still would be if FUNi didn't decide to release those 00ber cheap box sets. I don't care about those shows anymore because DBZ and Sailor Moon are out there, uncut, and Pokémon is being handled by a more capable company than 4Kids. Everyone wins.

DBZ is being released uncut because there's a demand for more of it, much like Evangelion. The dub sold well, but since there's high demand for "more", uncut editions are easy money for FUNimation.

And...uncut Sailor Moon? WHERE?! I've gotta tell my sister! I thought Toei pulled the rights to the series and I've been dying to get my hands on some DVDs for her next birthday. Just point me in the right direction! ^O^;

Yashouzoid wrote:

I have no problems with the English manga, so I just buy the English volumes. A swastika being erased isn't something to import for.

I think it's worse than what 4Kids is doing. It's one thing to expect 4Kids to make changes to something to make it "more appropriate" for younger audiences, it's another for Viz to do the same for a niche medium. I'm heavily pissed off at Viz because what they're doing is blatantly for 'creative interests' that differ from the original author. 4Kids does the same, of course, but at least they're a bit more justified.

More young adults and older teens read manga than kids. As one of the former, I refuse to read classic quotes like "Do you believe in God" distorted into "Do you believe in a higher power" just because some bureaucrat is afraid of angering "Little Timmy's" parents.

I'm probably the only person ever to try and get PAC action to force Viz to either dumb down the OP manga all the way or release it unedited. ~.~;

Yashouzoid wrote:
No, but you're elitist for telling people they're not "fans" because they want the show to be popular. I don't really care if the show is popular or not, but as I stated before, all of the editing was done to the show in an attempt to achieve just that, and it hasn't worked, so everyone loses.

That comment wasn't meant to be vindictive/elitist, just to illustrate how silly your stance (as I saw it) of, "I like One Piece, but I would absolutely love it if everyone else does too" was. What other people think shouldn't matter; it's what you think of the series that really matters. Obviously, you *do* like One Piece, so I can't see why not having 700,000 other Americans like it should stop you from reading.

A lot of people bash One Piece for its silly style; I think that's a strength. Those same people hate the comedy; I think it's a bonus. And, lastly, those same individuals dislike the "bonding" of "my crew of nakama who I met three weeks ago"! I call that central.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

And you should lurk more and post less. I never said Fox Kids was owned by 4Kids, but that 4Kids.tv TOOK THE TIMESLOT. If your brain was run by reason instead of Anime, you would realize that with a name like "FoxBox", the transition from Saban->4Kids was smooth and reasonably unnoticeable, with the lack of Power Rangers (substituted by Tiga) and Digimon (which concluded) as the only real cues to a major change.
And did I ever say that the transition from Saban to 4Kids wasn't smooth and reasonbaly unnoticeable? Maybe if you got your head out of somewhere other than your own ass you would realize that I never said anything like that and last time I checked you weren't a mod, so you don't have the right to tell me how often I should post.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
DBZ is being released uncut because there's a demand for more of it, much like Evangelion. The dub sold well, but since there's high demand for "more", uncut editions are easy money for FUNimation.

And FUNimation gauged interest for it from the Internet, which is essentially the same medium that's wanting uncut One Piece. One Piece does appeal to a larger audience than say, Shaman King or Yugioh, much like Dragonball did, however it's not being given the same chance as DBZ had.

Quote:
And...uncut Sailor Moon? WHERE?! I've gotta tell my sister! I thought Toei pulled the rights to the series and I've been dying to get my hands on some DVDs for her next birthday. Just point me in the right direction! ^O^;

Ebay man. Sailor Moon R and S were out from ADV about two years ago, and the movies, and the next two seasons were out from Geneon. Of course, now all rights for Sailor Moon are back with TOei and all sets are out of print.

Quote:
ALL ABOARD THE DOUBLE STANDARDS EXPRESS! ALL ABOARD!

Seriously, this makes no sense. And given the buzz Manga has had in recent years, it's hardly a niche. Manga actually makes it into 'top 10/50/100/whatever' lists in regards to books sold. It gets a decent ammount of press, it's sold in many places and people are actually fairly into it.

So I still don't understand where you're coming from. Viz have been editing manga (abeilt not always, but in some circumstances) for years and years now. They get permission from license holders to do so. They keep the content of the story more accurate than 4kids ever did. Yet by not putting it as 'god' (when, really, does it make that much of a difference?) somehow makes them unforgivable? That somehow they're degrading the story more than 4kids?

Seriously, jesus christ.

Yashouzoid wrote:
That comment wasn't meant to be vindictive/elitist, just to illustrate how silly your stance (as I saw it) of, "I like One Piece, but I would absolutely love it if everyone else does too" was. What other people think shouldn't matter; it's what you think of the series that really matters. Obviously, you *do* like One Piece, so I can't see why not having 700,000 other Americans like it should stop you from reading.

I'm sorry, but if I really like something, I'd darn well like other people to like it too. I'll show it to them, try to get them into it if they're a person who'd appreciate it, whatever else. If I'm made happy by something then I darn well want to make others happy by it too.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

There's always a demand for "more", for any series. Even if the dub DVDs sell well (they actually seem to be doing somewhat decently at Best Buy, and I doubt it's just kids because most critics I've heard seem to be able to get over the edits), there's always some extra money to be made from uncuts.

Also, DBZ was never released edited. In fact, the edits were pulled a long time ago, while the uncuts are still going strong. In fact, the edits weren't even released onto DVD, bar Saban episodes and movies. If anything, and as shown by Naruto, the money from the edits is the bonus.

Quote:

I wouldn't know because I'm not a big Sailor Moon fan, but I'm pretty sure all the DiC episodes were re-released in uncut box sets, and all of the Toei dubbed episodes were released uncut by Geneon.

Quote:
I think it's worse than what 4Kids is doing. It's one thing to expect 4Kids to make changes to something to make it "more appropriate" for younger audiences, it's another for Viz to do the same for a niche medium. I'm heavily pissed off at Viz because what they're doing is blatantly for 'creative interests' that differ from the original author. 4Kids does the same, of course, but at least they're a bit more justified.

Hold up

Quote:
niche medium.

http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9022
http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8850
http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8716
http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8680
http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8639
http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8565
http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8488

I rest my case.

Anyway.

I'm not entirely sure how Viz putting in "Shiver me timbers" over some background character's dialogue is a big enough deal to be considered worse than what 4Kids does. The 4Kids dub isn't any different, with the "higher power" thing. Like Zoro's classic line:

Zoro: "I will make my name known throughout the heavens!"

Now, heavens is a bad word, so that was replaced with something retard friendly, I forget what. Even if 4Kids is trying to THINK OF THE CHILDREN, it still removes a lot of impact and it isn't necessary.

Quote:
I'm probably the only person ever to try and get PAC action to force Viz to either dumb down the OP manga all the way or release it unedited. ~.~;

With the exception of that one swastika edit, the OP manga is unedited, so I don't see why it'd be... well, worth it.

Quote:

That wasn't my point, though. I've re-stated it already, so you should know what it is.

Quote:
A lot of people bash One Piece for its silly style; I think that's a strength. Those same people hate the comedy; I think it's a bonus. And, lastly, those same individuals dislike the "bonding" of "my crew of nakama who I met three weeks ago"! I call that central.

You just used "nakama", so that's like -50 points right there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7